Got to play a Martin S0 this past weekend...

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
At the Dance Flurry in Saratoga Springs, NY this weekend, Ron Gordon led two Ukulele workshops (Beginner and Intermediate), as well as the first ever Ukulele Jam. All were well attended.

During one of the workshops, a lovely young lady named Jennifer graciously allowed me to play her Martin S0. She isn't sure of the age, only that it had been her grandfather's. He'd had it before her father was born, and her father is 75. The tuners have been replaced (she has the originals), and Michael Eck told me that the uke had extensive work - the back and bridge were both separating.

Jennifer didn't know what type of strings are on the instrument - they are whatever her husband put on. All I know is that they are much smaller gauge than the Aquilas on my Kala or Cordoba tenors. And...

I love that ukulele!

The fretboard doesn't feel cramped, like so many other sopranos I've tried, the sound is just luscious, and while not very loud, it is so mellow!

Now, I understand what people say about playing vintage ukuleles.

And I have to plan for the future...

-Kurt

At the Dance Flurry in Saratoga Springs, NY this weekend, Ron Gordon led two Ukulele workshops (Beginner and Intermediate), as well as the first ever Ukulele Jam. All were well attended.

During one of the workshops, a lovely young lady named Jennifer graciously allowed me to play her Martin S0. She isn't sure of the age, only that it had been her grandfather's. He'd had it before her father was born, and her father is 75. The tuners have been replaced (she has the originals), and Michael Eck told me that the uke had extensive work - the back and bridge were both separating.

Jennifer didn't know what type of strings are on the instrument - they are whatever her husband put on. All I know is that they are much smaller gauge than the Aquilas on my Kala or Cordoba tenors. And...

I love that ukulele!

The fretboard doesn't feel cramped, like so many other sopranos I've tried, the sound is just luscious, and while not very loud, it is so mellow!

Now, I understand what people say about playing vintage ukuleles.

And I have to plan for the future...

-Kurt

That sounds like fun, Kurt! With respect, I think you mean a Martin O; the S-O is the modern version. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, now, as you said, you know what we vintage Martin lovers are fussing about! My guess on the strings is Martin fluros, which are thinner but sound great. I have my Ohana and Martin O strung with those.

You're undoubtedly right, Thom. I think what I meant to say was that I got to play a Real Old Martin Soprano this weekend - Stamped on the back of the headstock, nothing on the front, or visible in the sound hole. it was mahogany, and it the body appeared slimmer than most of the modern soprano ukuleles I've tried.

I'm guessing that it is a Martin Model 0, but I have no way of knowing - anyone I discussed it with simply called it "The Martin", or "Jennifer's Martin" - and all of us offered to take it off her hands, should she get bored with it, or otherwise not want it.

(And I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a Model 0 or Model O either - Zero, or Oh?)

-Kurt

Top Bottom