PDA

View Full Version : Finger Roll?

ukernotpuker
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Is it wrong to do a finger roll starting with the pointer finger instead of the pinky?

Flyke
02-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Firstly, I don't really know 'cos I'm a newbie.

Secondly, Its not wrong, it's music!

But... Having tried it both ways, I've noticed that your index finger produces the strongest sound. So, it seems to sound best to finish with your index finger so that the chord really rings out. If you start with your index finger and finish with your pinky, you don't get the same punch.

Hope that makes sense.

sailboats
02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
For me it feels more natural to start with the pinky.

If you can do it with your pointer first and it sounds good then go for it.

Nuprin
02-21-2011, 02:45 AM
It also feels much more natural to me to start with the pointer. The problem I'm having is when doing the upward half of an 8-finger roll, it feels much more natural to start with the pinky. Therefore it doesn't flow well at all because I end the upward half with my pointer and then need to start the downward half with my pointer. It's for this reason that I'm trying to get more comfortable starting with my pinky for the downward half.

ukernotpuker
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
It also feels much more natural to me to start with the pointer. The problem I'm having is when doing the upward half of an 8-finger roll, it feels much more natural to start with the pinky. Therefore it doesn't flow well at all because I end the upward half with my pointer and then need to start the downward half with my pointer. It's for this reason that I'm trying to get more comfortable starting with my pinky for the downward half.
I literally have the EXACT same problem!!

Nuprin
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I literally have the EXACT same problem!!

Glad I'm not the only one!

Jnobianchi
02-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Which finger roll? :)

ukernotpuker
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Which finger roll? :)

three or four, I know to start with my thumb for 5 and up

Jnobianchi
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM
I see, thanks. I always start with my pinky for four, pinky and ring together for three, and if doing a reverse, I start with the pinky and pull all four fingers up.