Convert a mandolin to a uke?

Deek

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experimented with string gauges to convert a mandolin to ukulele "C" tuning? The idea is to keep the string tension close to what it would be for a mando (maybe a little less) - but to get the high-G-C-E-A tuning. I'm talking doubled steel strings here, folks - not nylon.
I tried it recently with my Breedlove mando. Since the uke eclipsed the mandolin in popularity back in the 20’s, I seriously doubt that I’m the first one to try this. As one might guess, the Mandolele is loud, brassy and slightly obnoxious sounding. In that regard, it might win in a show-down with a banjo uke (no offence to banjolele enthusiasts). If you want to cut through the mix in an acoustic jam session and wow them with your jazzy chords, this is the axe (okay, hachet) for you. It doesn’t respond well to subtle, finger-style playing, so I don’t give it many points as a solo instrument.

The string gauges I used are (drum roll, please):

0.017 for hi-G
0.026 (wound) for C
0.020 for E
0.015 for A
(Quantity 2 for each size, of course)
These gauges seemed to keep approximately the same tension on the instrument as a normal mandolin string set with normal tuning. The JustStrings.com web site was my source for the strings and the experiment cost about 8 bucks.

Not an expert on the mandolin, but why not go lower? I know some folks who do "D" ukulele tuning, the original ukulele set-up, but an octave lower. If I'm not mistaken, this was the way they "converted" back in the 20's.

Aloha Deek,
Contact kanilea ukuleles..they have a builder there who has been playing a mandolin for a long long time...and he made his own mando uke with uke strings...he's an excellent player...wow Happy Strummings,
MM Stan..

My thought was that the instrument is designed for a certain string tension for maximum performance. The variables are: (1) Scale length - which can't be altered; (2) string tension; or (3) string gauge. Increasing tension will likely damage the instrument. To me, mandolins seem on the verge of imploding even when they're in concert pitch. Although you can certainly go lower with tension, it will result in an un-even feel between strings and a muddier sound. I guess people use open tunings with guitars all the time so maybe that's not that big an issue. Finding an optimal string gauge seems like the best solution to me.
I use my breedlove fairly regularly, so I didn't keep it "uke strung" for long. I mostly play fiddle melodys on mando and I've never bothered to learn mando chords. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment.

I tried tuning my Mandolin to ukelele tuning and the result was dreadful. The strings seemed 'floppy' and didn't sound right. I was hoping for the best of both instruments, but was very dissapointed. Maybe not using the correct string gauge was my error?
Hope you have better luck then I did!

Top Bottom