I finally have my Kamaka!

MissJonib

Reaction score
I purchased a Kamaka gold label from a friend of my husband's family nearly two years ago. She grew up in Hawaii and had this uke when she was younger.
I think it was treated more as a play thing than a real instrument. It was never played, just played with.
By the time it came to me, it was missing the nut, bridge and saddle. The back was separating from the binding.
I sent photos and ordered new parts from Kamaka.
A luthier friend had the best intentions to fix it, but, like most of us, he had plenty of other distractions.
So, last Sunday, I took it off the shelf in his studio, and went to the Sam Ash store in Indianapolis, where my friend is a manager. They have an excellent luthier on staff there. He was promptly on the job--and called me several times with updates and questions.
He ended up building a nut and bridge from wood, since the new pieces sent by Kamaka were plastic. He said the wood would look and sound more authentic.
I picked it up last Wednesday, and started breaking it in today.
Here's a link to a picture of it.
Needless to say, I am pretty excited. I can't wait till it stays in tune and I can play it at my band's next gig!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1874696989825&set=a.1592853023902.75626.1313194176&theater

Like to see it, but the link seems to be broken... Kamaka is repairing a similar vintage Pineapple uke for me at the moment.

Congrats. Glad you to hear you got it all fixed up. Enjoy.

Top Bottom