PDA

View Full Version : My new bruko walnut ukulele

WireUke
02-21-2011, 06:13 AM
I have just received my new custom made walnut ukulele from Bruko, and the first thing i can say is that the wood grain looks fantastic. I actually think it looks nicer than some koa I have seen. It is also really well made, a step up in quality from the chinese made ukes i have bought. I think its a really nice sounding uke, it seems clear and loud sounding, especially with the aquila strings I put on it, but as its my first soprano uke I don't have a lot to compare it with, soundwise.

I thought i'd post some pictures for you to enjoy!

Susie A
02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
I have just received my new custom made walnut ukulele from Bruko, and the first thing i can say is that the wood grain looks fantastic. I actually think it looks nicer than some koa I have seen. It is also really well made, a step up in quality from the chinese made ukes i have bought. I think its a really nice sounding uke, it seems clear and loud sounding, especially with the aquila strings I put on it, but as its my first soprano uke I don't have a lot to compare it with, soundwise.

I thought i'd post some pictures for you to enjoy!

Thanksf or sharing! What a beauty. My favorite part is the back of the neck and the headstock, that blond wood with the dark line is yummy.

Lori
02-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Wow, pretty uke! Congratulations. I like the walnut wood with the light wood details, very nice. Thanks for the photos.

–Lori

cletus
02-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Very classy looking ukulele. Thanks for sharing and enjoy it!

joeybug
02-21-2011, 06:48 AM
:drool: That is a nice Uke! Congrats! Enjoy it!

Tudorp
02-21-2011, 06:51 AM
That is beautiful. Love those grains in that wood. I think I like it better than koa too.

Strom
02-21-2011, 06:59 AM
That's one sharp Uke! Got a Bruko #6 for Christmas. Put some Worth BMs on it and have really enjoyed it. Yours should get alot of playing time. Hope you enjoy!

Mandarb
02-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Cool - very nice little uke. The walnut looks beautiful. Enjoy.

Ken Middleton
02-21-2011, 07:41 AM
What a stunning uke! Many people don't like the sound of Brukos, but I bet this sounds fantastic. A daring, but absolutely brilliant, choice.

Skitzic
02-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Beautiful wood! Looking forward to a sound sample.

Gmoney
02-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Lovely! Walnut is such a great looking tonewood. How do you think it compares w/you Mainland? Mellow? Bright? Never heard a walnut uke ...

WireUke
02-21-2011, 08:29 AM
I think it sounds more like my cedar mainland than it does my Hamano mahogany. Its loud, clear sounding with a brightish ringing tone, It has slightly less sustain than my Mainland cedar, but i guess as its a soprano that is to be expected. It does not have as many overtones as my Hamano mahogany. Overall I am really pleased with the sound, and it was a bargain at 260 euros.

The neck and the bindings are made from Maple by the way, which may brighten the sound.

mds725
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Congratulations on the new ukulele! That's some beautiful walnut! I've never heard a walnut ukulele and I'm curious how the use of walnut as a tonewood affects the sound.

Plainsong
02-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Wow, Happy New Uke Day!

TCK
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
WOW- that is stunning. Please post a sound clip if you can- I am dying to hear it

pat rock
02-22-2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks for sharing, love the juxtaposition of walnut to maple. What kind of a finish is that?

WireUke
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, the walnut and maple look really nice tigether. Its a matt finish, i think all brukos come with this finish.

Booksniffer
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Hopefully it's ok to bump an old thread?

I'm considering a custom Bruko, and walnut keeps tugging at me... But the reports of how it sounds are vastly different.

Do you still have this ukulele?
If so, could you give me some idea how the sound compares to other ukuleles?

bazmaz
06-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow! Team Brüko going from strength to strength lately! Hubert won't be able to keep up!

Hippie Dribble
06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Hopefully it's ok to bump an old thread?

I'm considering a custom Bruko, and walnut keeps tugging at me... But the reports of how it sounds are vastly different.

Do you still have this ukulele?
If so, could you give me some idea how the sound compares to other ukuleles?
I have a walnut longneck bruko soprano. One of the best sounding ukes I ever played. Loud, bright, great sustain, very feisty and heaps of punch. Mine is virtually identical to this model but without the body binding. The concert neck scale makes it slightly top heavy, especially as the neck is made from maple, but I can't fault it otherwise. At less than 300 bucks for a custom built longneck soprano out of one of the best uke tonewoods out there, I am rapt with the instrument. Still maintains that distinctive soprano sound, but with a bigger voice. You wouldn't be disappointed.

ChrisRCovington
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
That is one sweet looking uke in the first post! If I ever do a custom Bruko (and I'd really like to) I'd do one in walnut and cherry. Like some sort of tart or pie lol. I love walnut on ukuleles don't ask me why. Just looks and sounds great.

Chris Tarman
06-15-2012, 06:00 PM
That's sharp-looking!

Booksniffer
06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I have a walnut longneck bruko soprano. One of the best sounding ukes I ever played. Loud, bright, great sustain, very feisty and heaps of punch. Mine is virtually identical to this model but without the body binding. The concert neck scale makes it slightly top heavy, especially as the neck is made from maple, but I can't fault it otherwise. At less than 300 bucks for a custom built longneck soprano out of one of the best uke tonewoods out there, I am rapt with the instrument. Still maintains that distinctive soprano sound, but with a bigger voice. You wouldn't be disappointed.

That sounds great!
How bright is 'bright', though? I do like a certain mellowness in the sound, too...

You wouldn't happen to have any sound samples anywhere? :)

Yes, the neck material is one of the things I'm still pondering; visually, I'd love it to be walnut too (I like my ukes to look like they're carved from one piece of wood, with a few small details for fretboard etc) but I'm afraid that would make it even heavier.

Hippie Dribble
06-17-2012, 01:46 PM
That sounds great!
How bright is 'bright', though? I do like a certain mellowness in the sound, too...

You wouldn't happen to have any sound samples anywhere? :)

Yes, the neck material is one of the things I'm still pondering; visually, I'd love it to be walnut too (I like my ukes to look like they're carved from one piece of wood, with a few small details for fretboard etc) but I'm afraid that would make it even heavier.

I'm not sure that an all-walnut soprano will give you much in the way of mellow-ness! Maybe if it had a cedar top you'd get more of that warmth. This one is very trebly and sweet enough in the mid range, not mellow though...probably go with koa, mahogany or mango if that's the tone you want...

sorry no sound samples. I LOVE the tone though, bright and punchy - not thin - and great volume and projection. awesome uke...

Nickie
06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow, congratulations. I love the woodgrain...