minoring a minor

potatowaste

Reaction score
Here's my trouble

I want to take a song and change it to a minor key but the original chord progression already has a minor chord in it

example
C-Am-G-C

what would that Am change to if I wanted it to look like this
Cm-A?-Gm-Cm

what can I say, I like my songs a little gloomy

Here's my trouble

I want to take a song and change it to a minor key but the original chord progression already has a minor chord in it

example
C-Am-G-C

what would that Am change to if I wanted it to look like this
Cm-A?-Gm-Cm

what can I say, I like my songs a little gloomy

Your sequence in the key of C major: C / Am / |F / G / |C (I've added an F chord)

Becomes this sequence in the key of C minor: Cm / Ab / |Fm / G / |Cm

Thank You Ken

This flattening will apply in every instance where a minor chord comes up in a major key I want to switch?
How simple.

Ken, I just noticed that the Gm in my desired progression didn't become so in your new progression, oversight or is there something I should know?

Also, say a progression is originally c-d7 and i want to minor that would it be Cm-Dm7 or Dm-Dm+7

Thank You Ken

This flattening will apply in every instance where a minor chord comes up in a major key I want to switch?
How simple.

Absolutely not. It is more complicated.

Ken, I just noticed that the Gm in my desired progression didn't become so in your new progression, oversight or is there something I should know?

There is a lot you need to know. It is too complex to explain fully here. However it is all to do with the relative position of the chord in the key you are in. In the major key the chords I II III IV V VI VII & VIII are always maj min min maj maj min dim maj. e.g. in the key of C, a chord of I is C maj, a chord of II is D min, etc. In the minor key those same relative chords are different.

Also, say a progression is originally c-d7 and i want to minor that would it be Cm-Dm7 or Dm-Dm+7

No, not that simple. It depends how the chord is related to the tonic chord (the chord of the key you are in). Someone will have done a thread on this. Better still, get a book on chord theory and learn everything, not just a few bits. You will never regret it. This is the reason I can arranage music, jam along in any key, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
Another related progression is Cm Ab Gm Bdim7. Or Cm Ab Bb G. You could probably also throw in a Bb7sus4 somewhere for fun.

fitandcraft recommended a book that was written by a UU member, JinbeGOGO, titled Good Cats Eat Ants. I've downloaded it and it seems pretty technical but I'm sure that's just what I'll need to figure all this out. Are any of you familiar with this book? Opinions?

I wish there were more notes in a scale so I could invent a new stringed instrument and tune it R.T.N.H.A and make that stand for Reading Tab Never Helped Anyone because I'd be 20 years ahead of where I am if I hadn't cut corners.

Top Bottom