PDA

View Full Version : Kamaka HB-2D "Ohta-san" Model Owners?

PedalFreak
02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
How many here own this model? What do you think of this uke? And how do you like it?

It has caught my eye :D

thejumpingflea
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I have one.

It was my first really nice uke. I got Herb Ohta-san to sign it!

dnewton2
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Don't have one but I have wanted one for while. They are not cheap. There was one one eBay within the past year that some one got an amazing deal on, I lost it to the snipe. Not sure what a new one would run but I assume you would have a wait.

PedalFreak
02-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I have one.

It was my first really nice uke. I got Herb Ohta-san to sign it!

Where does Herb play these days? I'm going to be in Hawaii in March and was trying to see if I can see him play somewhere but can't seem to find any info on where he plays, or if he does still.

thejumpingflea
02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Where does Herb play these days? I'm going to be in Hawaii in March and was trying to see if I can see him play somewhere but can't seem to find any info on where he plays, or if he does still.

I lucked out and saw him live in Seattle a few years ago. He also gave a workshop at the Uke Festival there. It was something else to see him live and in person.

janeray1940
02-21-2011, 03:07 PM

He played a brief set at the Ukulele Picnic in Honolulu last weekend. He definitely still plays, but I'm not sure how to find out where.

beergeek
02-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Smiley at ukulelesource.com may have some idea of his schedule. I have a friend who bought a used Ohta-San from Smiley. It's one of the finest sounding ukulele's I've ever heard. It was my first dream ukulele and it remains my Holy Grail. If I ever win the lottery, ukulelefriend.com has two vintage ones ;)

casarole45
02-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I've been dying for one of these also, also got outbid on the one dnewton was bidding on =(

Unfortunately the ones on ebay I've seen lately are asking ludicrous amounts which is really sad to see... not the ukulele spirit at all.

I emailed Kamaka some time ago, and they said they were unsure of when they would do another run of them, email next year they said.. that was maybe 4 months ago.

mm stan
02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Aloha PedalFreak,
My friend has two of them, I play them both, they sound sweet...nice for picking...the last one he scored on ebay for $450.00 in good condition...I am jealous...MM Stan

PedalFreak
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Aloha PedalFreak,
My friend has two of them, I play them both, they sound sweet...nice for picking...the last one he scored on ebay for $450.00 in good condition...I am jealous...MM Stan

$450!!!! Wow! And I thought the one I saw on ebay that sold for $800 was a great deal! Gotta watch ebay more :)

joeybug
02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
$450!!!! Wow! And I thought the one I saw on ebay that sold for $800 was a great deal! Gotta watch ebay more :)

I think that, but then it depresses me when I get outbid on "steals". Hope you manage to find a bargin!

Newportlocal
08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
There is one with a day left on eBay. I can't afford it right now, but knew there would be people interested. Plus I am still undecided between an Ohta San and a semi custom tenor. Leaning towards the tenor at Christmas time.

mds725
08-15-2012, 12:42 PM
There is one with a day left on eBay. I can't afford it right now, but knew there would be people interested. Plus I am still undecided between an Ohta San and a semi custom tenor. Leaning towards the tenor at Christmas time.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you happen to have a link?

Newportlocal
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Do you happen to have a link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamaka-Concert-Deluxe-Bell-Shaped-Ukulele-HB-2D-with-case-Koa-Hawaii-/110931555477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4093495#ht_614wt_922

Michael_
08-16-2012, 02:48 AM
I wonder why and when Ohta-San gave up this model for a Martin soprano. Any ideas?

Stevelele
08-16-2012, 06:00 AM
I know that Ohta san on ebay is a little bit rough around the edges (it's not mine but it mentions finish cracks, etc), but I think people have to realize something about these Ohta sans. Back before they started making the Jake models, Ohta sans were considered custom models and they were built only by the hands of Casey Kamaka. After Casey started working on the Jake models, they had to discontinue the Ohta sans, bc he was too busy. They started making Ohta sans again, but Casey is still very busy with the Jake Kamakas, so he is not fully involved in the building of the Ohta sans (this is what the staff at Kamaka told me when I called them). That means the current Ohta sans, although they look similar and have the same general attributes as the old Ohta sans, are built by Kamaka's production team. Although this production team is surely excellent, based on my own experience with my Ohta san and playing other Kamakas, and what I have verified with some experts out there like Shawn Yacavone, is that there is a very big difference between a kamaka made by casey and one made by the production team. Casey is one of the very best out there.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you have a chance to pick up an Ohta san from the period where you know that Casey was making them, you would be advised to do it if you can. My Ohta san has an unbelievable tone to it. In fact, I was strapped for cash so I sold it, but I missed it so much that I re-bought the same one for a couple of hundred bucks more. Not all kamakas play the same, so if you find one that you really like, or if you were lucky enough to snag one that you know was made by Casey you should keep it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamaka-Concert-Deluxe-Bell-Shaped-Ukulele-HB-2D-with-case-Koa-Hawaii-/110931555477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4093495#ht_614wt_922

mm stan
08-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Darn...Shhnhhhhhh I was going for it....awe awe

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Darn...Shhnhhhhhh I was going for it....awe awe

Shhhhhhhh... me too! :)

mm stan
08-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Shhhhhhhh... me too! :)

Yes it has alot ot issues...finish cracks and looks to be a bad reglued bridge...will have to be addressed... might cost several hundred dollars to address at least...
I was wondering about the KK logo...as it looks fake too.... ha ha really check it out...

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I was wondering about the KK logo...as it looks fake too.... ha ha really check it out...

Just looks really dirty... needs cleaning up. If I ended up w/it, it would be going directly to Kamaka for a general refurb.

Newportlocal
08-16-2012, 10:35 AM
If I messed anyone up bidding on it. I am sorry. Just trying to help. If I wanted one. I would buy it and send it to Kamaka and have it restored. However, my funds are limited and my heart is set on a kamaka tenor for my next uke.

Btw this image verification thing is really annoying never had that on other forums.

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
If I messed anyone up bidding on it. I am sorry. ...

Not me - its already past my snipe price. Just watching at this point.

Btw this image verification thing is really annoying never had that on other forums.

It goes away after a few posts - they had to add it because of "drive-by" SPAM hitting the board.

Newportlocal
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
It goes away after a few posts - they had to add it because of "drive-by" SPAM hitting the board.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear.:D

mm stan
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Good to know Glenn......I have a chance then...ha ha yes if I get it too, it will get refurbished by kamaka....wish me luck from the rest of the snipers..ha ha
wondering about the finish cracks, I never saw a kamaka with them....maybe not original finish...

Newportlocal
08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Good to know Glenn......I have a chance then...ha ha yes if I get it too, it will get refurbished by kamaka....wish me luck from the rest of the snipers..ha ha
wondering about the finish cracks, I never saw a kamaka with them....maybe not original finish...

I was following it and saw the price at 677.77 then up around 1100 and something then dropped back to 677.77 really odd never saw something like that. Good luck.Hope that was you that won. If not someone just listed a mint kamaka tiki concert.

mm stan
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Sold for 1200....Rats over my budget....Back then in 2004, if bought new, and you got a good deal from a dealer, it would be very close to there.....Yes it is a 2004, I asked the seller

Newportlocal
08-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Sold for 1200....Rats over my budget....Back then in 2004, if bought new, and you got a good deal from a dealer, it would be very close to there.....Yes it is a 2004, I aksed
Well it may be a blessing maybe the next one that comes along will be in even better condition.

mm stan
08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Well it may be a blessing maybe the next one that comes along will be in even better condition.

Yes thanks...you know there is alot of truth in that.....patience is a virtue... learned the hard way.....

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Sold for 1200....Rats over my budget....Back then in 2004, if bought new, and you got a good deal from a dealer, it would be very close to there.....Yes it is a 2004, I asked the seller

A bit over double what I was willing to pay for it... guess I'll have to be content w/the new Sceptre I ordered yesterday from HMS. I'm getting a Five.0 pickup put in it before it ships. :)

mm stan
08-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Aloha Glenn,
congrats on the sceptre.....was it a concert or tenor...I love the concerts....let me know how it is...Happy strummings..
Oh there was one dealer bidding on that Ohta san spiking the prices...they should catch and ban those guys....PO'd

Ronnie Aloha
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
The uke looked like it was very dry with finish cracks and wood splits. I would have been worried about a warped neck. I hope the buyer gets a nice uke though. Perhaps $300+ for repairs through Kamaka and almost a year wait?

Gmoney
08-16-2012, 05:32 PM
The uke looked like it was very dry with finish cracks and wood splits. I would have been worried about a warped neck. I hope the buyer gets a nice uke though. Perhaps $300+ for repairs through Kamaka and almost a year wait?

I was guessing about the same... hard to really tell w/o handling it though. Hope whoever buys it comes on UU & gives us the lowdown. It certainly looked like it would have been worth getting that refurb through Kamaka.

hmgberg
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
During our last visit in September, the spruce top Kamaka Ohta-san at the factory was my favorite ukulele...and I played a lot of ukuleles. It's a killer instrument. HMS had a cedar top for about a minute. Thankfully, I don't play low G or I'd be about $2,000.00 poorer and facing divorce proceedings. Just kidding... about the divorce...not the ukulele.

dsummers
11-19-2012, 04:07 PM
I just got one directly from The Kamaka factory. I ordered it with a cedar top- and glad I did! Just can't put it down! I love the feel of the neck, it is a slightly long concert length.

SamUke
11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I purchased one from these guys....great service!

http://artisanguitars.com/kamaka-custom-shop-hb-2-dsk-spruce/

quiltingshirley
01-11-2013, 06:42 AM
It came by UPS yesterday. (Left Honolulu from Kamaka early Wednesday morning so UPS is fast) Wow, it looks and sounds better than the one I played at the store in October. I got the spruce top with the Koa body and did have them add a strap button. (That way I didn't need to be responsible for putting something in that uke) It took some time to make it since it was "special" and I do believe only one guy worked on it. (Casey?) I've been going up the neck on my Kamaka Pineapple and this is sooooo much easier. It's better than I am a player but I hope to "grow into it". The wood pattern in the back is beautiful. Just had to share with folks who "understand" my excitement.

PedalFreak
01-11-2013, 06:44 AM
I'd love to see a video comparing the Spruce, Cedar and Koa tops on the Ohta-San. I really want one of these, but would want to be able to hear/play them all :)

Only ever played the Koa top. Loved it!