Kamaka HB-2D "Ohta-san" Model Owners?

Don't have one but I have wanted one for while. They are not cheap. There was one one eBay within the past year that some one got an amazing deal on, I lost it to the snipe. Not sure what a new one would run but I assume you would have a wait.

Where does Herb play these days? I'm going to be in Hawaii in March and was trying to see if I can see him play somewhere but can't seem to find any info on where he plays, or if he does still.

I lucked out and saw him live in Seattle a few years ago. He also gave a workshop at the Uke Festival there. It was something else to see him live and in person.

Where does Herb play these days? I'm going to be in Hawaii in March and was trying to see if I can see him play somewhere but can't seem to find any info on where he plays, or if he does still.

He played a brief set at the Ukulele Picnic in Honolulu last weekend. He definitely still plays, but I'm not sure how to find out where.

Smiley at ukulelesource.com may have some idea of his schedule. I have a friend who bought a used Ohta-San from Smiley. It's one of the finest sounding ukulele's I've ever heard. It was my first dream ukulele and it remains my Holy Grail. If I ever win the lottery, ukulelefriend.com has two vintage ones ;)

I've been dying for one of these also, also got outbid on the one dnewton was bidding on =(

Unfortunately the ones on ebay I've seen lately are asking ludicrous amounts which is really sad to see... not the ukulele spirit at all.

I emailed Kamaka some time ago, and they said they were unsure of when they would do another run of them, email next year they said.. that was maybe 4 months ago.

Aloha PedalFreak,
My friend has two of them, I play them both, they sound sweet...nice for picking...the last one he scored on ebay for $450.00 in good condition...I am jealous...MM Stan

Aloha PedalFreak,
My friend has two of them, I play them both, they sound sweet...nice for picking...the last one he scored on ebay for $450.00 in good condition...I am jealous...MM Stan

$450!!!! Wow! And I thought the one I saw on ebay that sold for $800 was a great deal! Gotta watch ebay more :)

$450!!!! Wow! And I thought the one I saw on ebay that sold for $800 was a great deal! Gotta watch ebay more :)

I think that, but then it depresses me when I get outbid on "steals". Hope you manage to find a bargin!

Ohta-San

There is one with a day left on eBay. I can't afford it right now, but knew there would be people interested. Plus I am still undecided between an Ohta San and a semi custom tenor. Leaning towards the tenor at Christmas time.

There is one with a day left on eBay. I can't afford it right now, but knew there would be people interested. Plus I am still undecided between an Ohta San and a semi custom tenor. Leaning towards the tenor at Christmas time.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you happen to have a link?

I wonder why and when Ohta-San gave up this model for a Martin soprano. Any ideas?

I know that Ohta san on ebay is a little bit rough around the edges (it's not mine but it mentions finish cracks, etc), but I think people have to realize something about these Ohta sans. Back before they started making the Jake models, Ohta sans were considered custom models and they were built only by the hands of Casey Kamaka. After Casey started working on the Jake models, they had to discontinue the Ohta sans, bc he was too busy. They started making Ohta sans again, but Casey is still very busy with the Jake Kamakas, so he is not fully involved in the building of the Ohta sans (this is what the staff at Kamaka told me when I called them). That means the current Ohta sans, although they look similar and have the same general attributes as the old Ohta sans, are built by Kamaka's production team. Although this production team is surely excellent, based on my own experience with my Ohta san and playing other Kamakas, and what I have verified with some experts out there like Shawn Yacavone, is that there is a very big difference between a kamaka made by casey and one made by the production team. Casey is one of the very best out there.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you have a chance to pick up an Ohta san from the period where you know that Casey was making them, you would be advised to do it if you can. My Ohta san has an unbelievable tone to it. In fact, I was strapped for cash so I sold it, but I missed it so much that I re-bought the same one for a couple of hundred bucks more. Not all kamakas play the same, so if you find one that you really like, or if you were lucky enough to snag one that you know was made by Casey you should keep it.

Last edited:
I was wondering about the KK logo...as it looks fake too.... ha ha really check it out...

Just looks really dirty... needs cleaning up. If I ended up w/it, it would be going directly to Kamaka for a general refurb.

Top Bottom