Kamaka 2004 HF-1 for $500

ukunuke

Reaction score
This one's in my area, hasn't been played, was purchased on Oahu in 2004 at a charity auction. It's new, has the Kamaka warranty, etc. It's been sitting in a hardcase for the past 7 years, and now someone's willing to sell it to me. Any thoughts? I'll be heading to go play before I purchase, but this seems like it could be a pretty good deal.

If it has been sitting in the case for 7 years without humidification, obviously check for cracks. But it sounds like you may have found a gem.

Assuming it's mint, good price. New ones are 675.00, this one may have opened up, should sound a little better.

Assuming it's mint, good price. New ones are 675.00, this one may have opened up, should sound a little better.
Instruments open up with playing, not sitting in their case. The act of making music physically alters the micro-structure of the wood. In a case, it only experiences changes in humidity and temperature. The neck may have dried out a tad, and might need oiling.

What size is this?

New ones are $650 at Hawaii Music Supply and their prices typically include 2-day shipping. They nay even be able to do better than that based on the phone price Andrew gave me on the HF-3 I bought in September ($980 shipped).

John

I'd say that's a little (but just a little) on the high end for a second-hand Kamaka soprano, *unless* you try it out and it really speaks to you. Still, I'd offer the seller no more than $450.

I went through a similar dilemma when I bought my first HF-2 a last year - here's the thread about it. It was a local seller and it was nice, but I felt (and so did everyone else!) that the price was a bit high, all things considered. When the seller wouldn't budge on the price, I passed, and guess what? Within a few months I found two other Kamaka HF-2s, at better prices, that sounded much better.

This one's in my area, hasn't been played, was purchased on Oahu in 2004 at a charity auction. It's new, has the Kamaka warranty, etc. It's been sitting in a hardcase for the past 7 years, and now someone's willing to sell it to me. Any thoughts? I'll be heading to go play before I purchase, but this seems like it could be a pretty good deal.

HA HA, this is the same seller in the L.O. area? She offered it to me last night for $550. Playing us off against each other. :)

Look, I don't really want it cause I want a pineapple. I agree, $500 is too high. Offer $400 and settle on $450. I'd worry about it being dry--I asked about humidity last night and got the same Oahu story. If you go play it, let me know!~ Good luck!

Got it

I believe I bought this very Kamaka in Lake Oswego about three weeks ago. It was in pristine condition (not anymore---I play it daily for hours). It is opening up beautifully. I'm looking forward to fifty years of ukulele rapture with this wonderful instrument. With this view, $10 per year (or so) seems like a fair price.

The only problem with the Kamaka is that it's too nice to take to the river or the beach. But that just left me with more ukulele shopping to do. Hm, maybe that's not a problem after all.

Top Bottom