New uke day! Mainland Red Cedar Tenor!

cb56

Reaction score
Just got back from Nashville Indiana. Spent close to two hours in Mike and Tookta's store playing every tenor they had. Even strummed a few baritones. It was well worth the 200 mile trip (each way) I wanted my next uke to be one I could try out in person instead of ordering on the internet.
It was really a tough choice between the red cedar and the mango but the red cedar won out. Nice bright yet full bodied tone and sustain that goes on forever. When I strum a chord there is real good definition between the notes in the chord instead of a blur of notes (hope that made sense).
The folks at mainland were very patient with me as I traded back and forth from one uke to the next and back again. over and over.
They gave me a good price on the uke and a hard case, so I left very happy.
I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Hooray for you! Enjoy it.

thats the best way to get a uke is by trying em

Splendid! I can't wait to be able to post my first "New Uke Day" post!!!

Congratulations on the new ukulele! I've heard great things about Mainland ukes (haven't had a chance to play one yet) and about Mike and Tookta.

Pictures don't do her justice....

.... much prettier in real life.
The tone is like ringing a bell!
MainlandRedfullview.jpg

MainlandRedheadstock.jpg

MainlandRedBody1.jpg

MainlandRedback.jpg

MainlandRed1.jpg

The uke is much darker than in the pictures. The Cedar is dark reddish, and the rosewood back is also very dark. Beautiful wood grain that doesn't show in the pictures.

Last edited:
Aloha CB,
I seem to remember when you were asking to get your first uke....it has been a while.....Congrats on your new Mainland, have fun and enjoy!! Mike and Tookta's are awesome...glad to hear
you got the ukulele you wanted by choice....Happy Strummings ,,,MM Stan..

Awesome looking Uke!

Awesome Uke..Congrats!!

Gorgeous! I have the same case for my Mainland mahogany soprano. The case always gets a lot of compliments whenever anyone sees it. You're going to love that uke. I love my two Mainlands.

That is one beautiful uke! I absolutely LOVE my Mainland Mango Concert. Mainland makes a great instrument. Congrats on the new arrival!

Enjoy! I owned one of those red cedar Mainland tenors, and it had one of the loveliest sounds I've heard. I loaned it to the wife of a clsoe friend and she fell so much in love with it that I had to let her keep it. It had such great resonance and sustain.... but these days I'm seriously considering a red cedar baritone as its replacement...

The red cedar baritone I played sounded great!
Tried to talk my wife into buying it but she said she wasn't ready to buy yet.

Love that rosewood back - I wonder how was the mango?

That is one fine Uke...I feel my UAS starting up again, maybe a Mainland should be my next big investment!

Congratz on the uke. Everyone who gets a mainland seems to love them maybe i should get one.

Love that rosewood back - I wonder how was the mango?

I really liked the mango. A little less bright sounding than the cedar. I use a thumb pick when picking single notes and strum with bare finger. picking on the mango sounded great but IMO strumming on the the red cedar was better than the mango. Really all three mahogany,cedar,mango sounded great. It was just a matter of choosing the right wood combo to please my picky ear. I actually could hear a difference in the red cedar tenors produced in october '10 from the ones produced in Jan '11. Maybe they had just been played in at the shop and the tone opened up more. Who knows?

Great looking uke. Love the grain on the back. What is that case?

Top Bottom