FYI - the faster way to a Tru-oil finish

johnnyboy805

Reaction score
I came upon a very popular thread on rimfirecentral.com describing a process to apply multiple coats of tru-oil in one day. The big trick is to use Armorall as a catalyst for the drying process. First you put on a coat of Armorall and rub in the tru-oil. By some sort of magic, the armorall helps to dramatically shorten the drying time of the tru-oil. The original poster says that he can put on dozens of coats in a weekend using this method. No Ill effects to the gun stocks that he used this finishing method on even after 6 years.

original thread:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331108

I plan on using this method for the tenor pineapple that I am making which is just ready for finishing. I'll post pics when finished.

Wow, since true oil is self-filling (at least with gun stocks), this would be great time saver. I am planning to use this on a Grizzly kit I just received. Thank you very much for sharing this.

I think I remember reading something about not using silicone products(I think armorall has silicone) for finishing. Maybe someone more knowledgeable knows what I'm talking about

It's a great tip. Yeah, armor all is made with silicones so if down the road you tried to refinish with lacquer you might be out of luck. Still, I'm a big fan of Tru-Oil and this sounds like enough of a benefit to be worth trying.

I have a wonder about a product known as Rubio Monocoat. It is a one coat plant based matt finish. It has been around since 1964 and seems to be primarily used in furniture and flooring. Has anyone had experience with it? I was made aware of it by a vendor selling uke sets. However he hadn't any testimonials. Is there a reason for it? Anyone know?

I got 3 coats/day of Tru-Oil applied with coffee filters and a warm spare bathroom to hang my Griz kit between coats. Kathy Matsushita got 5/day sitting her baritone project in the Summer sun between coats. 1/4 teaspoon max/coat spread over the body is all you need.
http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushita/moreprojects/htmlpages/bar1.html

I would have concerns about mixing Arrmour-All to a finish but if someone wants to try it, go ahead. Let us know how it works long term.

I wouldn't have Armour-all in the same room with an instrument, let alone use it on it. In fact I wouldn't use the product on anything, even a car were it was intended. It creates far more problems than any apparent benefit you might think you are getting with it. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

I just read some of the Rimfirecentral.com thread and the claim is 24 to 36 coats in a day!. I may be eating my previous words. I wonder if it is the Dioctyl Adipate [a plasticizer] or the Polydimethylsiloxanes [silicone] in the ArmourAll or a solvent/carrier or the combination of everything that causes the fast hardening? I have worked diligently to keep my shop free of Silicones and don't plan to use Armor-All but being able to flash finish would have benfits. For everyone considering this I would strongly advise researching Fisheye problems with other finishes before you contaminate your shop forever with Silicone. It is nearly impossible to get rid of.

Sounds pretty interesting, I'm gonna try it on some scrap and see how it goes.

:agree: with the pros Allen, Pete and Chuck. And thanks guys for the good advice.

We normally get in three (thin!) coats of tru-oil per day. With the final layers we've found that you can thin the layers (and thus speed up the drying process) a little bit by adding a bit of (real!) turpentine to the cloth. This thins the oil and keeps it moving over a wider area. The layers get a lot thinner and then dry in about 60 - 90 minutes.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

In 1 hour I put on 4 coats of the ArmorAll/Tru-oil mixture.
0000 synthetic steel wool between coats
Dry as a bone immediately after last coat
Pores almost filled

first build
first time woodworking, really.

fret ends didn't seat well but didnt notice till after the neck was glued to the body.
removed frets but wont install till I level the fretboard
apparently, I didnt tape up the fretboard well enough when I was applying the finish.
The mess on the fretboard should clean up when i level it before I install the frets.

Johnnyboy....Ignore the Trad boy's and go ahead with your experiments..."Succeed or fail" it's something we can learn from.

Top Bottom