Daily Ukulele for 2/22/11: Polly Wolly Doodle

H

Hippie Dribble

howdy gang,

a new song for JJ's Daily Ukulele project from the Beloffs' songbook:

"Polly Wolly Doodle" (pg. 323)

some background...

a traditional folksong dating back to the 2nd half of the 19th century, with its roots in the American south. Authorship is dubious but sometimes credited to Dan Emmett.

it was first published in a Harvard student song collection in 1880. It was also sung, famously, by Shirley Temple in the 1935 film "The Littlest Rebel", and then featured in the 1938 film "You Can't Take It With You", which also won the award for Best Picture in that same year. The lyrics were again published in 1943 in Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, 'These Happy Golden Years'.

throughout most of last century up to the present, the song has become most commonly known and loved as a children's tune.

my attempt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2xAETDTYAU

last night I sat down and made a simple arrangement for the song, really to see what I could do with the two chords and a few notes to embellish them. Consequently my attempt is a bit raw and could do with some refining. :eek: To try and keep the playful tone of the melody, I used a kazoo and some whistling at the end. I also borrowed some verses from another old-time tune, 'Cindy' to throw in, but I guess this is always the stuff of folklore, eh! My daughter Eugenie videoed it for me this morning at home, and I played it on a mya moe mango soprano uke. Playing 'C' and 'G' chords but the uke is tuned up to 'D'.

a good uke group tune?

not sure, but I'll take it along to our little get together next week and see what they reckon. Might get the "oh, that's just a silly kids song" response, but you could have one group playing rhythm and another playing melody. Also you could get the call and response thing happening between the guys and gals in the chorus "Fare Thee Well..." "fare thee well"...just feels like there's a lot of elbow room to work with for a unique take on it. Plus, it's hard not to sing this one and not feel better at the end than when you started!!!

Hope you have some fun with it and sing and play along!

Blessings all. eugene :)

Last edited:
Aloha Eugene,
Your Mya Moe and you were made for each other..each compliments the other....Awesome dude your fingerings....Thanks for Sharing...enjoyed it very much....MM Stan

Hey, this made me think! Have you heard the sing-a-long song "Throw It out the Window" to the tune of Polly Wolly Doodle? You take the first few lines of a nursery rhyme, and instead of going the whole way through it, when the verse is ending, replace the original words with an applicable "throw/threw it out the window!" For an example:
Mary had a little lamb; its fleece was white as snow.
And everywhere that Mary went, she threw it out the window!
The window, the window, the second story window.

or

Old King Cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl and threw 'em out the window!
etc.

It works with most of them. The best part is trying to remember the nursery rhymes!
Edit: Okay, having listened to you play it, the tune might not be exactly the same. Close-ish, though. Awesome job on the song, and sharply dressed to boot!

Last edited:
Loved this- and your outfit adds to the era. I really enjoy your songs and singing!!!

Hey, this made me think! Have you heard the sing-a-long song "Throw It out the Window" to the tune of Polly Wolly Doodle? You take the first few lines of a nursery rhyme, and instead of going the whole way through it, when the verse is ending, replace the original words with an applicable "throw/threw it out the window!" For an example:
Mary had a little lamb; its fleece was white as snow.

or

Old King Cole was a merry old soul, a merry old soul was he.
He called for his pipe, and he called for his bowl and threw 'em out the window!
etc.

It works with most of them. The best part is trying to remember the nursery rhymes!
Edit: Okay, having listened to you play it, the tune might not be exactly the same. Close-ish, though. Awesome job on the song, and sharply dressed to boot!

Hey jdg!

I just found this on youtube, it's great stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJkhohR2-BA&feature=related

I hadn't heard it before but hey, I guess it's time to brush up on some old nursery rhymes. Would love to do this with some children. Thanks for pointing the song out to me mate, much appreciated!!!

:):):)

Last edited:
Thanks Stan, Carrie, seoulsister and Mark, just love them old tunes! :)

Nice job!

JJ

LOVE the tie and it's a great video :D

thanks Joey. The tie is a bunch of panels from the peanuts comic strip mate!!! Bought it for $10 off ebay last year. :eek: If you're gonna play the fool then I guess it's gotta help to look like one too sometimes! Cheers for the comment buddy. :)

Very nicely done Eugene. The soprano is just a perfect instrument that for that sort of song, and your outfit was perfect.

Cheers SweetWaterBlue. Appreciate the post mate. :)

And the outfit...I've been trawling through a local op shop lately to get some interesting looking clothes to make these quirky vids. Every few weeks they have an offer: fill a bag for $5, so I've been taking 'em up on it!

If I ever get up early enough to beat you and JoeyBug to the punch. You guys have a bit of time-zone advantage. :)

JJ

I'll not post tomorrow since I didn't read this until after I'd posted! So tomorrow you can have a go!

Eugene, you are great? I love you selection of songs. If I lived "Down Under", I'd be hounding you for lessons constantly. Keep on keepin' on.

Can't wait to see you here in Louisiana, brother Jon! Let me know when you expect to arrive.

Top Bottom