PDA

View Full Version : better uke between $200 and $300

mandrew
02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.

pdxuke
02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the Ohana SK38. It's a new Martin 2 clone.

What are you playing now? Because for a little under $200 you can get an Ohana Sk35. In my opinion, I had to jump to a Kiwaya KTS4 at $400+ to see an improvement over that Ohana.

Another option is to look for a vintage uke. A Martin and Gibson will be out of your price range, but you can and will see a Favilla or a Gretsch in the $250-$300 range. I bought one of each in the last 3 months, and both were at that price point, both have no cracks in the body and both are mahogany dreamboats!

mds725
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I have a Kala solid mahogany concert that, with Aquila strings, has a very warm tone. I paid about $230 plus tax for it about 16 months ago. I haven't tried the soprano version of this ukulele, but I'm very happy with the concert I have.

70sSanO
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
You may want to look into Mainland ukuleles.

They have an exceptionally good reputation and a large following here.

They are solid wood and can be had in the low end on your price range.

John

PS... the Cedar top Rosewood are very impressive.

Uke Republic
02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Lots of good choices. Ohana and Mainland's mahogany sopranos, Pono's mahogany soprano in satin,Big Island's mahogany soprano all seem to be good choices for what you are looking for.

bazmaz
02-21-2011, 09:28 PM
+1 Mainland - beautiful looking and constructed ukes with a lovely chiming sound