better uke between $200 and $300

mandrew

Reaction score
When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.

When I am ready to upgrade to a better uke, I am wondering what you would recommend in the $200-$300 range for a soprano. I like the warmer sound of mahogany, but am open to suggestions. Is the Kala acacia good in this range? Something in solid wood is what I am looking for.

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the Ohana SK38. It's a new Martin 2 clone.

What are you playing now? Because for a little under $200 you can get an Ohana Sk35. In my opinion, I had to jump to a Kiwaya KTS4 at $400+ to see an improvement over that Ohana.

Another option is to look for a vintage uke. A Martin and Gibson will be out of your price range, but you can and will see a Favilla or a Gretsch in the $250-$300 range. I bought one of each in the last 3 months, and both were at that price point, both have no cracks in the body and both are mahogany dreamboats!

I have a Kala solid mahogany concert that, with Aquila strings, has a very warm tone. I paid about $230 plus tax for it about 16 months ago. I haven't tried the soprano version of this ukulele, but I'm very happy with the concert I have.

You may want to look into Mainland ukuleles.

They have an exceptionally good reputation and a large following here.

They are solid wood and can be had in the low end on your price range.

John

PS... the Cedar top Rosewood are very impressive.

Last edited:
Lots of good choices. Ohana and Mainland's mahogany sopranos, Pono's mahogany soprano in satin,Big Island's mahogany soprano all seem to be good choices for what you are looking for.

+1 Mainland - beautiful looking and constructed ukes with a lovely chiming sound

Top Bottom