Gobbling up batteries ?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Okay kind of a survey.
Someone ask me today what is the battery life in a clip on tuner. I think it's across the board and will vary from tuner to tuner and habits of course.
How long does your battery last in your tuner?

I've never changed batteries in any of my tuners. My intellitouch I've had for years and it's still going fine on the original battery.

The battery outlasted one of my Kala tuners - the tuner quit working the second day so I saved the battery to put in the other tuner if it lives longer. :)

John

Hmm, probably two months if I had to guess.
Hmm... what tuner do you use? I think I've changed the 9v in my Boss TU-12 two or three times in like 20 years, the Eno clip-on I've had for ~two years without it needing to be changed yet.

Of course, neither of these have an auto shut-off, so you have to remember to turn it off or you can wear down the battery.

The batteries most of them come with aren't the greatest quality to begin with, and who knows how long they've been in the package! I've had a few that only lasted a month or so, but when I replace them with a good "name brand" battery I have yet to replace any of those and they are all well over a year old. I have a couple of the Kala tuners, and Eno ET-3000, and they all work well and the battery life seems pretty comparable. I also have an older Intelli which isn't a clip on that uses 2 AAA batteries which I've used for guitars for several years and it's still on its original set of batteries.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the Kala tuners, and Eno ET-3000, and they all work well and the battery life seems pretty comparable.
My Eno ET-3000 actually came with with a spare battery in the box. I thought that was pretty cool, but I haven't had to replace it yet.

I have two Intellis in everydays use for more than 5 years. Never had to change a battery.

The more expensive the tuner, the more frequently it needs batteries ;)

I'm only half-joking. I think some of the more expensive ones require more juice.

200 hours for a Korg tuner.
cheers

Same here with the battery on my Korg CA-30. I think I've had it about three-four years and I haven't changed the battery yet.

I think a lot depends on how you use the tuner and how much tweaking you do.

I have a couple of IMT-600 tuners and batteries last 2-3 months, but I've been trying out different strings and setups for the last 6 to 9 months, so this is not under normal circumstances. Because of all this tweaking, I also check at the nut and the 12th fret to see how the intonation is effected as a string breaks-in, wears, and changes in temperature. I usually check the tuning everyday before I play.

I'm guessing a year under normal use.

John

I replaced the battery in my Kala after about 9 months when the display light seemed to be dimming. Much better, but now I have a new Snark tuner, so the Kala is my travel/backup. In retrospect, the $5 for a new battery would have been better invested in another Snark, a much more accurate tuner.

Okay kind of a survey.
Someone ask me today what is the battery life in a clip on tuner. I think it's across the board and will vary from tuner to tuner and habits of course.
How long does your battery last in your tuner?

You mean there is a battery in these tuners?

I'm going on close to a year with the original battery on my Intelli IMT-500. It's used every night multiple times.

I think I got two months using it a real lot. I just went to buy batteries today because the light was dim on my intelli IMT-500. I think its the light that does it. I got two 2032's for 4.37 at Walmart.

Well. I think the question might not just be how long the battery will last on actual usage, which may be a long time.

But carried around in a bag with other items, crowded together, can it easily turn on accidentally, and therefore use up the battery much quicker?

I really like my Snark tuner, but it has that problem, turns on way too easily. It does have auto off fortunately, so will turn itself off after a few minutes, but with that occurring frequently, can still eat up the battery much faster.

I think the manufacturers should pay more attention to the on-off switch, so it does not turn on accidentally.

The Peterson stroboclip is on it's 2nd battery after less than six months. I'll trade power hunger for accuracy. :)

Top Bottom