E chord technique

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
I've tried different ways, but when I perform an E chord, I feel most comfortable thumbing down the GCE stings and playing my first finger on the A string.

How do you guys and gals do it?

E-chord (standard GCEA):

|-2-|
|-4-|
|-4-|
|-4-|

A certain distinguished UU member tends to say: if you can grab the chord and it sounds good, use it. If you search around, you'll find that an easy way out for many is the

|-7-|
|-4-|
|-4-|
|-4-|

form. Easy to grab and goes smoothly back to D with the index finger. Still the high note is not always appropriate in every song, so I guess you'll just have to check what sounds cool to you.

/edit: deach's form seems to be not too hard either, but my ring finger doesn't bend so well yet...

Last edited:
with index being finger #1 and pinky being #4, i play with my #1 on the 2nd fret A, and my #3 on the 4th frets of G, C, and E.

sometimes I just strum the bottom 3 strings and dodge the G. OR, sometimes I'll index the bottom string on 2. then cover the 4th fret top 2 strings with my middle finger, then the E string 4th fret w/ my ring finger.

Never know, might work for ya! =)

Another option is 9877. Find or transpose songs to use the E chord and practice. The thing is to find a position comfortable to you and does not impede your ability to make chord changes. My $.02 . . .

----
||||
||||
234|

I also like barre at the 4th fret and pinky on the A string on the 7th fret. That one is great because it is such and easy movable major chord shape. Another is using the Bb shape at the 7th fret. Once you've got these down it opens a whole world of playing with guitarists.

Best way to learn is to never transpose. If it's in key of A or B or E (all of which are usually avoided on the uke) learn it play it, learn to love it.

BTW, 7 years into playing the uke and this year is my year of moveable chord shapes.

Best way to learn is to never transpose. If it's in key of A or B or E (all of which are usually avoided on the uke) learn it play it, learn to love it.

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

C'mon, kids! It's four strings, four fingers. How zen is that?

Don't come back on me about how your hands are too big/small, you're too young/old, your legs don't reach from your ass to the ground or any of the other excuses I've heard for the last 7 or so years.

With the possible exception of shredding like Jake, there's nothing you can't learn on the uke.

You. Can. Do. It. Just practice.

Sure, Joe over there copped it faster than you.

So? This ain't a contest. This is a voyage of personal discovery.

So Joe got it in a week and you're not quite there after 3 months.

Again, so?

Is it such a hardship to play your uke a lot? Then take up tatting. Or underwater basket weaving or whatever.

Every time you reach a plateau you're on a higher level than before. If you stay on that plateau longer the ol' proverbial Joe (or his sister, Sue) ain't nobody going to come along and take away your birthday.

Keep plugging and you will get it (whatever "it" might be).

And you'll have such a feeling of accomplishment you'll think you've taken some awesome recreational pharmaceutical.

Go! Play your ukulele!

(No. Right now. I'm watching. Don't make me come over there!)

But my legs don't reach from my ass to the ground. ;)

That's classic. Reminds me when I was complaining to a concert pianist that I'd never play piano because of my stubby hands. I couldn't even span an octave. She showed me her hands, creepily tiny... like a 5 year old's hands on an adult.

She was such a great piano player though, I learned then to STFU with my whining. ;)

I do E with the 1 - 234 method but I miss it as often as I hit it.

I have found if the song has an A in it, you can usually use E7 instead. Was told that by a very smart kid who knows way too much theory........

I have found if the song has an A in it, you can usually use E7 instead. Was told that by a very smart kid who knows way too much theory........

That's what I usually do! :D
Another alternate is an E5 (4402). Or, if someone insists on doing a song in E, I use a capo...I have trouble with B chords.

I use most of these solutions, depending on what works well with the song, but in the end its all about the practice, and it will happen sooner or later. I used to have a tough time hitting the simpler D chord (2220) quickly, so like anything else I would work with it a while, then move on to something else and come back to it. After a while it became easy, as will the E chord and all the others.

The 4442 shape use to 'feel' impossible to me, but I'm getting better at it and in some songs it's simply the best sound.

Have fun!

Did you actually mean "...if the song has an E in it" instead?

You really can't sub an E7 for an A. An A chord has A, C#, and E in it. An E7 chord has E, G#, B and D in it. Only one shared note.
No, I meant if the song has an E and an A, you may sub. an E7 for the E.

Did you actually mean "...if the song has an E in it" instead?

You really can't sub an E7 for an A. An A chord has A, C#, and E in it. An E7 chord has E, G#, B and D in it. Only one shared note.

I think she meant if the song is in the key of A you can sub any E chords for E7s

No, I meant if the song has an E and an A, you may sub. an E7 for the E.

That will usually work if you're playing in the key of A (with a 1-4-5-6m of A-D-E-F#m), but it doesn't work in the key of E (1-4-5-6m = E-A-B-C#m).

(I hate playing in the key of E, but so many of our guitar playing friends insist on playing in it!)

That will usually work if you're playing in the key of A (with a 1-4-5-6m of A-D-E-F#m), but it doesn't work in the key of E (1-4-5-6m = E-A-B-C#m).

(I hate playing in the key of E, but so many of our guitar playing friends insist on playing in it!)

is this a typical chord progression 1-4-5-6m ?

Top Bottom