Vintage 'Coronet' Ukulele info

trishhunter

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for a Vintage Ukulele for some time now, and finally picked one up at Camberwell Market on the weekend.
I couldn't wait to get home and research it, but can't find any information about them.
Hoping someone here can help.
I know it's not super Vintage, To me it looks 70's? But the song book it came with looks 50's.
Anyway the details...
Inside there's the original label. It says
"Coronet Ukuleles - Manufactured especially for CBS musical instruments - A division of Australian Record Company Limited"
Model no: UK-1013

It's standard size, A redish wood, but possibly veneered over ply (not sure how to tell)
But in comparison to the modern ukulele I've been playing until I got my own, (which is not a cheapy cheapy but not an expensive one) Sounds soooo much nicer and cleaner and sharper. I love the sound.

Some of the songs in the book are My Bonnie, Long long ago, The farmer in the dell, Polly Wolly Doodle, There is a tavern in the town, Swanee River, Come though almighty king, Little brown jug, home on the range etc
So not really 80's kind of songs, which makes me think it's older.

Anyway.. a photo...

95v2h2.jpg

Aloha And G'day Trishhunter,
Nice Score....looks awesome and pretty .....Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan
Also Welcome to the UU and our forums...

Last edited:
Hi Trish, and welcome to the UU mate!!!

Coronet Records operated in Australia, as the main house label of the ARC (Australian Record Company) in the 1950's. They released stuff licensed from some big US labels, mainly CBS, as well as local stuff. Coronet ended by that name in 1960, when the ARC was taken over by CBS, and the company then became known as CBS Australia.

I guess if you're trying to date your uke, then that's a good place to start, around 50's or 60's. Looks to be in lovely condition. Great score!!! I'm insanely jealous. Just goes to show, you can still find good ukes at the markets, which surprises me. If you ever think of selling that book of folksongs from the 19th century, please PM me as I am a folksong and traditional music junky mate!!!! Those folk song for "chordfinder" books were also out in the 50's and 60's I think (though someone may correct me) as it was a boom time for uke with Arthur Godfrey and the Maccaferri Islander ukes all popular...

Hi Trish, and welcome to the UU mate!!!

Coronet Records operated in Australia, as the main house label of the ARC (Australian Record Company) in the 1950's. They released stuff licensed from some big US labels, mainly CBS, as well as local stuff. Coronet ended by that name in 1960, when the ARC was taken over by CBS, and the company then became known as CBS Australia.

I guess if you're trying to date your uke, then that's a good place to start, around 50's or 60's. Looks to be in lovely condition. Great score!!! I'm insanely jealous. Just goes to show, you can still find good ukes at the markets, which surprises me. If you ever think of selling that book of folksongs from the 19th century, please PM me as I am a folksong and traditional music junky mate!!!! Those folk song for "chordfinder" books were also out in the 50's and 60's I think (though someone may correct me) as it was a boom time for uke with Arthur Godfrey and the Maccaferri Islander ukes all popular...

You're my hero! Im so very grateful for all your information!! Completely made my day. Thankyou so much!

Some light

I have a Coronet "pineapple" shaped Uke that I used to record in 1981 so I think that the date of these Ukes is late 70's early 80s.

IMG_0773.jpgIMG_0774.jpg

Mine is well worn, I have replaced the bridge.

Nice sounding.

Very nice uke. I am very much into vintage instruments. If I hadn't have just purchased a vintage Harmony soprano over the weekend, I'd be pretty jealous. Enjoy it!

Dan

Great find, glad you came across it. I bet it is not laminate, but is solid wood. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the wood around the sound hole and see if the grain runs consistently through. Also, sometimes it is clear from the grain pattern on the inside of the back of the ukulele that it is the same as when you look at the outside of the back of the ukulele. Doesn't really matter though since you like the sound, then it is perfect.

Enjoy! Be careful buying vintage ukuleles, Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, vintage strain can be extremely strong, and is resistant to all known cures (see my signature).

Top Bottom