PDA

View Full Version : Uke theory for Noobs question

stuart
02-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I am new to all this music theory stuff and I followed NukeDOCs lesson with interest. But in lesson 4b we are told that the scale is in the key of G. I am confused, wouldn't G use the notes G thru G and not C thru C (isn't that the notes in the key of C). Please point me in the correct direction

Raygf
02-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Without a G below C on a reentrant tuned ukulele. C to C with an F# are all notes in the key of G. If you want to get a stronger sound of G (Using the notes listed in lesson 4b) you could start on the 2nd string/3rd fret G and play down to C and back up to first string/3rd fret C and then back down to the G where you started. Do, Ti, La, So, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do, Re, Me, Fa, Mi, Re, Do. (Or if scale numbers help, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8(1), 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1(8)) Note names G, F#, E, D, C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C, B, A, G.

If you have a ukulele with a low G string you can play a complete G scale in open position. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ray

Ukulele JJ
02-22-2011, 03:34 AM
But in lesson 4b we are told that the scale is in the key of G. I am confused, wouldn't G use the notes G thru G and not C thru C (isn't that the notes in the key of C).

You're right that a "normal" G scale would run from G to G.

But, in his defense, NukeDOC didn't say you were playing a "G major scale". He said you were "playing a scale in the key of G". :-)

In other words, you are playing a series of notes, and those notes all come from the key of G. Just because you didn't start on G, that doesn't mean you're not in the key of G.

Remember: A "key" is merely a specific collection of notes. If you play a melody using those notes, or make chords that are all formed from those notes, you are said to be playing in that key. In this case, you're playing a bunch of notes in a series. You're using the "key of G collection of notes", so you're in G.

Is what you played a "G scale"? Well sure. I guess. In one way of thinking, you are playing a G major scale, even though you're starting and ending in a different spot that the "root". (We theory nerds would probably call it a C Lydian scale, but at this point you really don't need to know that. Heck, you probably never need to know that! Forget I said anything...)

But that's not really the point of the exercise. The idea is just to demonstrate where to find notes on your uke that are friendly with the key of G. So if you were jamming along with friends, you could pick any of the notes in that scale, and they'll (probably) work.

JJ

missashleyclaire
02-22-2011, 05:24 AM
this is my favorite theory tool for my uke

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3500/3843579868_3340964132.jpg

stuart
02-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, no need to defend the author. I just have sooooooooo much to learn, but isn't it all so much fun?