PDA

View Full Version : My MP custom is almost done!!!

JamieFromOntario
02-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Howdy all!

I've got Mike Pereira building me a redwood and koa tenor. He's sent me tonnes of progress pics. I just thought I'd share a few.

I'll plan to do a detailed review in a couple of months once I've had the uke for a while.

In the mean time, enjoy these!

joeybug
02-22-2011, 03:57 AM
:drool: looking really good!

JamieFromOntario
02-22-2011, 04:02 AM
I know, Joey, I know ;)

I do my best not to drool all over my computer each time he sends me new pics!

Sake1one
02-22-2011, 04:05 AM
that looks pretty awesome! are those Koa fret markers?

ukulelecowboy
02-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! I love bound fretboards. Please post final pics when it's all complete. I would love to see the work.

Congrats!

mm stan
02-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Aloha Jamiefromontario,
Congratutlations on your order, betcha just can't wait...those photo's must be nice to see, but such a tease too ...he he....MM Stan

dnewton2
02-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Looking good! from othe reviews of his work I am sure you will lik eit and have lots of positive things to say.

fitncrafty
02-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Gorgeous.. I LOVE the headstock and fretboard! How can you stand the wait!?

pulelehua
02-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey! I think you're the 3rd with the stripe fretboard. I'm #2. Not sure if anyone else has had one, as we haven't had an MP thread in a while. Nuprin was #1, of course.

I've had my MP since the middle of December. It takes a LONG time to get to know his ukuleles, I think. The neck is really different. I've explored every inch of my ukulele, and visually it's basically perfect (it's easy to see the seam in the binding - ooh, what a problem...). In terms of playing, as I say, it takes time. I have an extra wide neck, which is a whole universe unto itself. And as Bao, fumanshu, has said many times, you need to find the right strings. I think his soundboards need a lot of energy to drive. With tenors, that's pretty easy. Mine is a longneck soprano, so the string search has been trickier. I'm on Worth Clear Hards now, which are good.

You're in for a lovely adventure! And Mike is a thoroughly nice guy. My first custom anything, but I was totally pleased with every aspect of the process.

(I'm hoping to do my review sometime in the next 2-3 months. But even that will be early days. So, that will be 6 months of ownership.)

SnakeOiler
02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
you need to find the right strings.
So true. I played mine for a year with Aquillas and just thought "OK", last month I put on a set of Ka'aula golds and "Wow" I can't believe how much fuller and loud the sound is.

JamieFromOntario
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Yes, i think I am the third with this style of fret markers (they are koa). I think they look pretty sweet.

I'm happy to know that I've got a good long getting-to-know-the-uke period - it'll be like a honeymoon!

As for strings, I haven't asked what he's gonna put on it. I've got a bunch of different ones (Worth Brown, South Coast in a couple of different gages, Martins) which I'll try out.

I'm looking forward to the bound fretboard too - my main player these days, Bluegrass tenor, has an unbound fret board.

Ooo, let me see if I can find a shot of the heel cap - Mike did a nice one in Maple which contrasts with the koa.

Plainsong
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Oh that does look nice. Makes me miss my koa/maple binding concert that's found a home with a local player with larger hands more suitable for its neck. Not that I couldn't play it, but at the time I felt that I could later go back to Mike for something made a bit more comfy for me. The uke wasn't a custom. As you know, he's pretty awesome to deal with. :)

thomas
02-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey! I think you're the 3rd with the stripe fretboard. I'm #2. Not sure if anyone else has had one, as we haven't had an MP thread in a while. Nuprin was #1, of course.

I am pretty sure AnnaUK has the first one with the stripe fretboard. And I think Clifford has the third or fourth, I can't really remember.

Take care,
Thomas

marymac
02-23-2011, 06:25 AM
So true. I played mine for a year with Aquillas and just thought "OK", last month I put on a set of Ka'aula golds and "Wow" I can't believe how much fuller and loud the sound is.

I have Southcoast Linear (low G) on my MP pineapple and it sounds great. I never get tired of listening to it.

JamieFromOntario
02-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm happy to hear that you like Southcoast strings on your MP, marymac. I have really enjoyed having them on my other ukes.

Not so hip to the low-g myself - but maybe i'll come around.

pulelehua
02-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Interesting. I have some Ko'olau golds sitting around. Maybe when the Worths need changing, I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Nuprin
02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I am pretty sure AnnaUK has the first one with the stripe fretboard. And I think Clifford has the third or fourth, I can't really remember.

Take care,
Thomas

Mine was the first Mike did with the stripe fretboard. That being said, I based it off of Thomas's fretboards so there were plenty before me.

fumanshu
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Jamie...Congrats on your custom!!! You will see, Mike's uke look much more nicer in real than in his pics!!! I always told Mike that he has to improve his photography skills!!!

pulelehua wrote:

And as Bao, fumanshu, has said many times, you need to find the right strings. I think his soundboards need a lot of energy to drive. With tenors, that's pretty easy. Mine is a longneck soprano, so the string search has been trickier. I'm on Worth Clear Hards now, which are good.

You're right, I always thought that Mike's uke can be so powerful but it's all in the choice of the strings that you will put on....But again, strings is a lot subjective and the sound and tone I'm looking for might not what another person will like.....but in general, you have to find the right strings that can drive MP soundboard properly....

And you're right, the fact that I'm playing with a tenor is much easier to find the right strings than ....a soprano!!! :)

JamieFromOntario
03-03-2011, 12:26 AM
The uke is being shipped today - the final stage of the waiting game begins.

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2011, 01:07 AM
WOW! It's gorgeous Jamie. Congratulations. :)