Does the UAS Ever End- What's Your stash?

dsummers

Reaction score
1. Mainland mahogany pineapple, 2.Tangi mahogany concert, 3. Flea mahogany concert, 4. Flea Koa concert with KK pu (probably the most beautiful top you have seen on a Flea), 5. Flea Pastachio concert with KK pu- all fleas are rosewood fretboards, 6. Island flamed Koa soprano w/ebonyfretboard, 7. Tom Guy cigar box, 8. Beltona blue #2 cut away concert resonator w/ ebony fretboard ivroid binding pearloid headstock, 9. Kiyawa 4P pineapple, 10. Kiyawa master series #10 flame koa concert w/martin 3K appointments, 11.1950's 1-C (CONCERT) Martin- about perfect original case 12.1950'ish Martin 1-T (Tenor)-perfect as you can get-even the original case looks almost new 13. 1999 Kamaka white label pineapple 14. Just recieved Kamaka concert pineapple w/ebony fretboard and headplate and spruce top and pu 15. Kamaka concert (outrages koa) 16. KoAloha super concert with crown bridge 17. Custom KoAloha Tenor Sceptre w/ebony back/sides/sprucetop and crown bridge, 18. William King concert soprano with walnut back sides and adi spruce top ,19. William King Tenor with superb Koa back and sides, cut away, probably the best sounding adi spruce top I've heard and a MISI pu, 20. Dasilva #34 Zericote back,sides and salvaged fir top 21. Santa Cruz 1929 beautiful mahogany concert with ebony spruce top 22. Southcoast soprano concert scale with Nance back and sides and cedar top 23.David Gill mahogany/spruce concert pineapple 24 Being built Jack Clark 6 string tenor with cherry back and sides and engleman spruce top 25. Being built- Dave Talsma extended concert Vita with redwood top and cuban mahogany back/sides, MISI pu,... The kicker is that I'm not a very good uke player, but boy do I love it. I'm still looking for an abtract Fluke, a glyph, and a Kamaka tenor. So I guess it's time to sell or trade a few (it's hard, I love them all).... Does the sickness ever end!!!!

There is really not a cure, but I find I can find it off temporarily by simply vowing the learn to play the instruments I have well before I get another one. If I could just follow that, I would probably never need another.

Wow 25 ukes. That is UAS.
On a thread a while back someone said that UAS ends when you start tradeing and selling ukes. By doing this you narrow your ukes available and then find your favorite. However, that doesnt mean the cycle wont start again.

1. Mainland mahogany pineapple, 2.Tangi mahogany concert, 3. Flea mahogany concert, 4. Flea Koa concert with KK pu (probably the most beautiful top you have seen on a Flea), 5. Flea Pastachio concert with KK pu- all fleas are rosewood fretboards, 6. Island flamed Koa soprano w/ebonyfretboard, 7. Tom Guy cigar box, 8. Beltona blue #2 cut away concert resonator w/ ebony fretboard ivroid binding pearloid headstock, 9. Kiyawa 4P pineapple, 10. Kiyawa master series #10 flame koa concert w/martin 3K appointments, 11.1950's 1-C (CONCERT) Martin- about perfect original case 12.1950'ish Martin 1-T (Tenor)-perfect as you can get-even the original case looks almost new 13. 1999 Kamaka white label pineapple 14. Just recieved Kamaka concert pineapple w/ebony fretboard and headplate and spruce top and pu 15. Kamaka concert (outrages koa) 16. KoAloha super concert with crown bridge 17. Custom KoAloha Tenor Sceptre w/ebony back/sides/sprucetop and crown bridge, 18. William King concert soprano with walnut back sides and adi spruce top ,19. William King Tenor with superb Koa back and sides, cut away, probably the best sounding adi spruce top I've heard and a MISI pu, 20. Dasilva #34 Zericote back,sides and salvaged fir top 21. Santa Cruz 1929 beautiful mahogany concert with ebony spruce top 22. Southcoast soprano concert scale with Nance back and sides and cedar top 23.David Gill mahogany/spruce concert pineapple 24 Being built Jack Clark 6 string tenor with cherry back and sides and engleman spruce top 25. Being built- Dave Talsma extended concert Vita with redwood top and cuban mahogany back/sides, MISI pu,... The kicker is that I'm not a very good uke player, but boy do I love it. I'm still looking for an abtract Fluke, a glyph, and a Kamaka tenor. So I guess it's time to sell or trade a few (it's hard, I love them all).... Does the sickness ever end!!!!

:drool:It's a nice list, but no pictures kind of destroys the plot line of the story.:wallbash:

Just sayin':cheers:

Hmmm, dsummers. If it is time to sell or trade some of your ukes, then I would love to talk to you about your KoAloha ebony and spruce sceptre. It may help you fund your two customs that you are having built. PM me if you are interested. I also have some ukes that you might be interested in.

Great collection! :drool:

Mine is listed in my sig...with pics! :music:

Think of it as an investment. Ukuleles have only been around for a short time so ones from the ukulele renaissance of the 21 century should be worth some cha ching in the future.
I have a friend who's Martin has increased in value 400%(well thats what he says) which is better than my IRA down 400%
UIS
Ukulele investment syndrome iIt may help us convince our special someones why be get em:)
I love your portfolio by the way.

Nice collection! Check out my thread for our collection. We just hit # 75

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-Photos-of-the-Collection&p=611520#post611520

Thanks!

Whew! I feel much better. But still a little embarrassed (wouldn't be if I was a musician or music teacher by profession) about having 35 that I play and lend out for others to play. Have another 8 that need work to be playable. Have pictures of most of them. I haven't been able to successfully post. Play uke a lot better than I use computers, scanners, cameras, cell phones, etc.

Wow. Nice collection. I'm at 11 ukes. The latest being a Kamaka tenor. I would post pictures but that would be another piece of evidence my wife could use at my sanity hearing. UAS forever.

Yes - the answer is a resounding no. I got two more yesterday - one's for sale - and I'm getting yet another later in the week. The only thing I notice is that there are those that stay with me, and those that go right back out the door. :)

I haven't had the problem of those going right back out the door...I love all four of my meager collection! Maybe if I had the funds to buy extras when the mood/UAS strikes..but right now I'm looking to save to pull the trigger on either a custom or a flea, purple of course!

UAS does end. I'm a live example. At the peak, my collection was about 25 pieces as well. Since then, I have scaled back significantly and sold off about half to fund other collections: knives, flashlights, watches, etc. My friends say I'm a hoarder, not a collector.

Off the top of my head, I still have:
Kamaka Soprano
Kamaka Concert
Kamaka Tenor
kamaka Tenor 8 String
KoAloha Superconcert
KoAloha Tenor
KoAloha Pinapple Sunday
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre
Kanilea Tenor Soundmonster
Kanilea Tenor Gloss
G String Tenor (will sell)
Leolani Tenor Gloss (will sell)
Leolani Tenor Satin
Flea Pineapple Design
Fluke Tenor Hibisucs
Applause UAE148 Tenor (will sell)
Mele Koa Tenor
KPK Tenor

At the end of the day, it seemed a bit excessive to continue my UAS when other things in my life take up so much time. I've been pulling 90 hr work-weeks for the past month or so...it's been ridiculous. Haven't seen an ukulele in the past 2 weeks. T_T

Wow. Compared to some of you, I feel like an amateur!

My collection is in my signature. I've begun thinking almost like a museum--with a permanent collection of "keepers", and ones being evaluated as keepers, and a bunch of novelty ukes that may just pass through, get loaned/ and/or given away. I do also think of my vintage ukes, at least, as "investments." I've bought for condition and tone, and I do think they will hold their value. That's certainly not why I bought them, understand, but I still believe it.

Another collecting principle I've always kept to is the notion of a closed collection: whether it's art, or coins, or books, I limit my collection to a certain number of items owned. My uke collection is currently set at 20. If I reach 20 and want another, one goes out the door. That works for me.

I'm also like John--I've owned many more than the ones listed, but they tend to go out the door fast if they aren't right for me.

Speaking of stash, we call our mad money a "stash," and I'm happy to report that I've reached funding level for my Kamaka pineapple! That's been on the wish list for a while!

Wow. Compared to some of you, I feel like an amateur!

My collection is in my signature. I've begun thinking almost like a museum--with a permanent collection of "keepers", and ones being evaluated as keepers, and a bunch of novelty ukes that may just pass through, get loaned/ and/or given away. I do also think of my vintage ukes, at least, as "investments." I've bought for condition and tone, and I do think they will hold their value. That's certainly not why I bought them, understand, but I still believe it.

Another collecting principle I've always kept to is the notion of a closed collection: whether it's art, or coins, or books, I limit my collection to a certain number of items owned. My uke collection is currently set at 20. If I reach 20 and want another, one goes out the door. That works for me.

I'm also like John--I've owned many more than the ones listed, but they tend to go out the door fast if they aren't right for me.

Speaking of stash, we call our mad money a "stash," and I'm happy to report that I've reached funding level for my Kamaka pineapple! That's been on the wish list for a while!

That takes discipline, something I've been lacking for the last 2 years.

Also posting to recommend others check out your delightful HUMBLE SONG OFFERINGS. Love everything about your 5 Ft 2. How did you change your voice? Wanted to hear your intros, but had a hard time hearing you talk, you spoke so softly or too far away from the mike.

That takes discipline, something I've been lacking for the last 2 years.

Also posting to recommend others check out your delightful HUMBLE SONG OFFERINGS. Love everything about your 5 Ft 2. How did you change your voice? Wanted to hear your intros, but had a hard time hearing you talk, you spoke so softly or too far away from the mike.

I record in Garageband; it has some vocal effects. Thanks for the kind words!

Top Bottom