Bluegrass Ukulele Curly Maple - "the flying owl"

Tom Guy

Reaction score
Curly Maple Tenor Ukulele "Flying Owl" ($695)
Includes hard shell case
16 frets to the box, 18 frets total
27" overall Length
1 1/2" wide at the nut
carbon fiber reinforced neck
1/8" Koa & maple triple stringer in neck
Highest quality Gotoh gold & amber geared tuners
Bubinga fretboard
Walnut bridge
White Corian nut and Saddle
Paua inlay fret markers on top and side
Aquilla Strings
Satin Finish

CurlyMapleBluegrassUkes1__78498_zoom.jpg

CurlyMapleBluegrassUkes6__21332_zoom.jpg

CurlyMapleBluegrassUkes2__58185_zoom.jpg

CurlyMapleBluegrassUkes4__43152_zoom.jpg

More pictures at the website

Last edited:
That's a beauty Tom. Nice little piece of playing too. Is the top also maple? I'm watching on my phone and I can't tell. I should check it again on my desktop, the curls in that wood are superb. Man, I wish I was shopping for a new tenor...

Last edited:
Someone is gonna be soooooo happy with this uke.

As you can see from my sig., I've got a bluegrass tenor in cedar and walnut. I initially wanted a curly maple one which Tom also had for sale at the time, but I was too slow on the up-take and someone else bought it first. So I had to settle (boo-hoo ;)) for the cedar and walnut.

I think this is a deal of a price as well.

Where else can you get a custom or luthier built tenor for under $700.

(No, I don't work for or get a kickback from bluegrass - I just love their stuff!)

Amazing picking and sound. A beautiful uke....now I know why they call them bluegrass ukes, what a distinctive sound. Would sure like to hear more.

Just had to hear it one more time!

And Again! I haven't heard many high end ukes in person, but I have heard many on YouTube, and yours is so distinctive, and clear, I am amazed! I've never heard anything else like it. Owning and playing a uke like this would be a huge honor. I hope my playing ability will someday justify owning a uke like this.

Last edited:
Gorgeous uke, Tom. That, combined with your excellent playing, make for a perfect combination. Congratulations on yet another beautiful instrument. I'm loving my cigar box uke you make. EXCELLENT sound and quality work!!!

wow Tom, that is stunning. I just watched the demo 3 times...

Wow Too Tom,
That was super sweet, Like eugene, I watched several times to pick up some fingerings. Your finger was too fast for me to pick up on...wish I could slow it down somehow....Happy strummings...thanks for sharing..

Thanks for the all kind words everyone. I have posted pictures above.

I can see why you call it the Flying Owl. That is really clear once you spot it!

Gorgeous and sweet sounding, beautifully played.

mmmmmmm...that maple is just amazing. Your prettiest yet Tom.

SOLD! Just recieved payment... by someone on this thread, but I won't announce who it is, I will let them come forward! Congrats to them!

I did post up the new walnut if you are interested.

Last edited:
SOLD! Just recieved payment... by someone on this thread, but I won't annouce who it is, I will let them come forward! Congrats to them!

I did post up the new walnut if you are insterested.

My money is on eugene ukulele. John?????

I don't know who bought it... but thank you. It has been so tough to be tempted every day. Even my wife said I could buy it.

John

My money is on eugene ukulele. John?????

gee Dana, I've really gotta do something about that C.U.A.S.S. label on my forehead mate. :eek:

(Chronic Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome Sufferer)

Top Bottom