Sander Went Wild

dannyb

Reaction score
Aloha All
I am a novis builder. Upon finishing this (my 4th build) I ran in to some problems and sanded to the point of creating some divits and shadow lines. I am wondering about either leveling with ca or epoxy. These areas became more noticeable upon the start of lacquer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks:)
I am afraid of more sanding or scraping could cause a tear. One is noticable on the back. It is almost 1" in diameter. Other areas are on the side below the binding, as I was sanding a bleed under the wood binding. I 'm just wondering if it is not to late to try to level it with one of the above.

Last edited:
No. In my experience filling shows no matter how you do it unless you are drop filling small spots with a clear lacquer finish. Wood Filler (Putty), CA and Epoxy don't look the same or finish the same as wood no matter how you do it.
Try to replicate the divot on a few scraps of the exact wood used and experiment. Hand scrapers take preparation to get sharp but are very easy to master. They are used to prevent tear-out in curly wood. Rub the surface of the wood and see which direction the grain is going. Scrape with the grain. You may be able to do the repair with a razor blade with a turned burr. File/grind the sharp corners round so they don't dig in. It's easy to draw and turn a burr with the shaft of a drill bit or router bit or other hard smooth steel.

Thanks again. I am feeling kind of dumb about this. I understand the scaper part. The burr if i understand it is a little imperfection in the scraper blade meant to do some altering of the surface that it is drawn across. I am having a hard time understanding that this wouldn't continue to take down the surrounding wood. Am I missing something?

Thanks again. I am feeling kind of dumb about this. I understand the scaper part. The burr if i understand it is a little imperfection in the scraper blade meant to do some altering of the surface that it is drawn across. I am having a hard time understanding that this wouldn't continue to take down the surrounding wood. Am I missing something?

There's loads of stuff on the internet about using and sharpening scrapers.
http://woodgears.ca/scraper/index.html

Danny hopefully Twodogs and Tattwo will share their secret for dealing with this problem since they have experience.:bowdown:

If you do a high gloss finish almost any imperfection or a slight level change will show up. A satin finish is way more forgiving. Tarhead no one said that wasnt the way to address the proublem. Ive had that same kind of thing happen and its a bitch to get it perfect.

my :2cents:

Last edited:
Sorry Tarhead, no offense intended. Indeed, at least in my experience, your method is how I would handle it. I just haven't figured out how it do it without showing. Except by taking down all, or nearly all of the surface in question.

It's just that when I lay down a glossy uke in the shop and look at the skylights reflected off it and it's not perfect, then I'm not happy. Never done a perfect one, but that doesn't mean I don't keep trying.

The black guitar below is what I'm shooting for, and the uke is as close as I've gotten so far.

Danny, do you have any pics to give a better idea of what it looks like?

DSC03042.jpgUKE_0035.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom