Gripmaster hand/finger strengthener - any good?

jhob

Reaction score
I am considering getting a gripmaster hand/finger strengthener to help quickly get some more strength and control into my fingers for uke play as they are pretty weak at the moment. Has anyone used them and are they any good? For those that have used them I'd be interested to know which strength you went for, I'm considering a red or blue one.

Website is here if you want to find out more about them: http://www.thegripmaster.co.uk/

I have a couple of pianist friends who nearly wrecked their hands using these.

If you get one, use it cautiously or you can really stress your tendons.

I bought some for strengthening my fingers for my bass playing.

I gave myself tendonitis (us?) and couldnt do anything with my left hand for weeks.

I would forget using them unless your very carefull.

dude...
dnt do it....
*fingerz aching*
dont waste ur hard irnd kash on dem tingz...
dont
*ouch*

Some people recommend just squeezing a tennis ball or stress ball. Sounds like a better idea to me, since you can position it in your hand however it's comfortable and you can still work on individual fingers.

I have a couple and they DO work. However they DO stress the tendons and you CAN hurt yourself. In the end....the more you play the stronger your hands get.

If used correctly thyey're not bad. But I recommend heavy strings.
If you have two ukes put the heaviest gauge strings you can find then put them on. Practice on that then when you play the other with light strings it'll feel like butter.

Or if you have only one uke just do the same thing but keep playing with the heavy strings untill you can play for hours without any soreness. Then switch back to lighter strings it'll be the same efffect.:nana:

If used correctly thyey're not bad. But I recommend heavy strings.
If you have two ukes put the heaviest gauge strings you can find then put them on. Practice on that then when you play the other with light strings it'll feel like butter.

Or if you have only one uke just do the same thing but keep playing with the heavy strings untill you can play for hours without any soreness. Then switch back to lighter strings it'll be the same efffect.:nana:

Playing is the best way to do it but this is a good way to build up strength when having a ukulele in your hand is not optimal....As long as you don't over do it and hurt yourself.

Playing is the best way to do it but this is a good way to build up strength when having a ukulele in your hand is not optimal....As long as you don't over do it and hurt yourself.

Just looking at your avatar makes me want to pull out my "gripmaster". Don't worry, I wont over do it and hurt myself.

Think I'll see how I go with a few more strengthening exercises on the uke, and only then I might consider a gripmaster, and if I do I will be sure to use it lightly!

Cheers for the advice all!

Save your money. Almost any sporting goods section or shop can sell you an inexpenive foam ball to squeeze. Be creative and use it with different fingers. I've used them for years, but frankly I find the best way to strengthen the hand and keep it supple is to practice more.

Save your money. Almost any sporting goods section or shop can sell you an inexpenive foam ball to squeeze. Be creative and use it with different fingers. I've used them for years, but frankly I find the best way to strengthen the hand and keep it supple is to practice more.

I practice lots anyway, I suppose I was just looking for a way to shortcut and build up strength quickly. I have started doing more strength building specific exercises on the uke now and they are helping.

I already have a squeezy ball on my desk at work - seems to work really effectively in the 1 minute that I've playing with it. Thanks for the advice!

WOW I can't understand why people are getting injured from them! I used one with no ill effects. I had the red gripmaster which I think is the second heaviest tension. I used it for a while and gained a small strength boost. However, the gain in strength wasn't enough to justify the high cost. I would suggest just practicing normally and gaining endurance from that.

If you REALLY want to build up strength in your left hand for uke, I suggest doing the hammering exercise that Aldrine taught us in the uke minutes. That has to be the hardest warmup exercise I've ever tried.

Muscles and tendons in your hands are the same as everywhere else in the body and need consideration when they 'work out'.

Use a Gripmaster or a ball or anything that gives some resistance but remember to do it little and often.

try a minute at a time 3 or 4 times a day and build up slowly to 5 or 10 minutes 5 or 10 times a day

Keep it simple and sensible and you should be fine.

Or play more, little and often until nothing aches and slowly build up.

Mind you I say all this and my left hand is still stiff from Hotel California last night....

my friend has one of these and I tried it and it made my hand hurt, but I also have pretty small hands

Top Bottom