PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper on radius dish?

Ken W
02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
I have noticed from pictures in other posts that most radius dishes are coverd with sandpaper. I'm getting ready to use mine for the first time and would like to get some input on this practice. What do grit do you use, how is it attached, anything else I need to know?

Timbuck
02-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Mine are 80G... fitted with rubberised contact type spray on adhesive.

Kekani
02-23-2011, 05:39 AM
80g, Norton Self adhesive strips, switching to 3M Gold later (self adhesive). Both 2 1/2" wide.

Steve vanPelt
02-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Norton 3X 80 grit spray glued to dish after a couple coats of shellac. I throw a piece of leather on top when I want to use it as a work board.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-23-2011, 06:37 AM
I do like everyone else who's posted here. In addition to the radius dishes I have several large sanding boards, both wood and marble or corian, that I do various tasks on, and are made to accommodate four sheets of Norton 3X. I also use the 3M Gold spray adhesive. The hard part for me is when it comes to removing the sandpaper. The only thing that seems to work for me is flooding the surface with acetone and removing it with a scraper. It's tedious and messy work and it's damaging to the wood boards. I've set the marble boards on fire to remove the paper but this obviously has detrimental effects on the wood ones. I've tried spraying only one surface to reduce adhesion but then it doesn't stay as well. Anyone have a better way of replacing the sandpaper on work boards?

Allen
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
My radius dish's are 24" in diameter and I use floor sander paper. Which conveniently come in 24" diameter. 3M spray adhesive does the trick.

Steve vanPelt
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
My radius dish's are 24" in diameter and I use floor sander paper. Which conveniently come in 24" diameter. 3M spray adhesive does the trick.

All the floor sander discs I've been able to find have a hole in the center and radial cuts from there. Do you use those, or have you found some without the hole. I guess the spot where the hole is doesn't get used much anyway. Woodworker.com has big ol' wide belts for about 30 bucks I was thinking of cutting up into 3 pieces, they also have the floor discs for $5 or 6. Figure these have got to be easier to remove than the paper I'm using now. I also have to give up my love for the 3M super90 I grew up on and start using a gentler spray glue.

Liam Ryan
02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I used pva glue to glue bog standard sheets of fabric backed 80grit to my dish. I used a tennis ball to roll all over the sandpaper to make sure I didn't get any bubbles.

Allen
02-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Paper I have is just one large 24" piece. No hole. No radial cuts.

DeVineGuitars
03-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Blues creak Guitars sells the perfect self adhesive 24" disks for around $18 I use the 100 grit (http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19&zenid=aoiug9edp3eubmnbnktp3u1921) for my disks and get plenty of use out of them.

olgoat52
03-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Do you all buy your radius dishes or do you make them? They seem like they would be royal pain to make.

Steve vanPelt
03-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Do you all buy your radius dishes or do you make them? They seem like they would be royal pain to make.

Bought mine for that very reason. About $40 on ebay. (plus shipping ).

Vic D
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I make my dishes... and they are a pain to make, but I'm a self doer that way cause I'm always too broke to buy stuff.

Same as the above, 3M sprayed lightly on the paper and the disk (MDF), then aired a little bit before sticking on. Sometimes the paper comes loose and I just give it another light spray then reattach.

BTW Ken, you need to come to one of my BBQs now that the weather is permitting. You gotta try my grandpa's lemon and onion hickory smoked BBQ chicken, there's never any leftovers.

Vic D
03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
DevineGuitars, that sounds like the trick. Will do it.

Ken W
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I made mine using the technique that Dave describes in this link: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?30203-How-to-make-a-Radius-Dish&highlight=making+radius+dish

They turned out great with none of the mess of routing out the recess.

Vic, let me know the next time you fire up the grill...the chicken sounds great.

DeVineGuitars
03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
DevineGuitars, that sounds like the trick. Will do it.

He also sells dishes too. Nice ones, almost an inch thick and and the price is right

Ukulele Maker
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Here is a tip for removing the sandpaper. Use Rubber cement thinner available at most good art stores. First get one edge loose, then from a small squeeze bottle (also available form the art store), apply small droplet amounts of rubber cement thinner and the glue will release the paper, tilt the board slightly to keep the thinner in contact with the glue. You can also clean left over glue by cleaning the surface with this stuff. It's less toxic than acetone and easier to safely use. I've been using the stuff for years. Give it a try.

I'm like Chuck, I spray glue sandpaper to all sorts tools; boards bars round rods, you name it.

Ukulele Maker

wrstew
03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Haven't tried it on 3M 77 or 90, but I use a heat gun to remove sandpaper discs that have been on for extended periods. Start at an edge and warm till the paper changes color, gently lift an edge, direct heat under and gently peel. It works on factory sticky discs and the tube adhesive sold to "assist" holding sanding discs in place. Warm is the operative element.