TODAY by John Denver

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
YouTube have managed to find a way to identify an EMI song when it is uploading. I tried uploading this six different ways with different titles. Even with no info at all they can identify the song and threaten me with copyright infringement.

I suspect they will remove it soon.

TODAY by John Denver

Very nice

That's a lovely video, Ken :)

I had a similar infringement notice when I put up "Winter Wonderland" (also EMI). I also tried it without a title or tags, and named the original video file on my computer with a random word.

That said, my video has been up since 2nd December, so hopefully yours will stay up too. I hope it does :)

Anna

That's a lovely video, Ken :)

I had a similar infringement notice when I put up "Winter Wonderland" (also EMI). I also tried it without a title or tags, and named the original video file on my computer with a random word.

That said, my video has been up since 2nd December, so hopefully yours will stay up too. I hope it does :)

Anna

Thanks. That's good news, Anna. I was a bit concerned because the last time YT warned me about my Bob Dylan videos they took down the video and threatened to close down the channel. As I have about 360 videos, the majority of which are my own work, I didn't really want that to happen.

Hope you are thinking of attending some of the European festivals this year.

I'm glad I got to hear it before it's possibly taken down.
Have you ever thought of starting a channel just for covers?

Yes!

Hope you are thinking of attending some of the European festivals this year.

Yes, I'll be at Hollesley, and hopefully a few others. I'm looking forward to some top uking this summer and it will be good to finally meet some of the UK based uke community :)

I don't know much of his music, just the obvious ones, but I like the way he used to sing: like he was heartbroken.

JD also sang as though he was soaring through the heavens. He loved performing and literally lived for it.

I wrote a song many years ago about John Denver (and I am one of the "friends of John Denver", a small group of individuals that includes several of JD's close associates and some performers like Vince Gill). The song is titled "The Bard". Emily Paris, the founder of the Rocky Mountain High fan club and JD friend had the lyrics on her website for years. When John was killed in the plane crash, I received e-mails from all around the globe, an average of 180 messages an hour, all mourning the loss.

John's music touched many hearts. I could tell you some stories about the real John Denver. He was a complex, incredibly interesting individual.

Ken, this is a beautiful song well performed. Thank you for sharing it and your talent with us. You are a wonderful contributor to the wonderful world of Ukuleles. Thanks, friend.

Great song and great job, Ken, but I don't believe Today was written by John Denver. He performed and recorded it a lot. But I believe it was written by Randy Sparks of "The New Christy Minstrels" fame. Wrote it originally for the film score of a comedy called "Advance To The Rear" in May of 1964. That film score was the first recorded in the 60's "folk" style. Randy is still on the road the The New Christy Minstrels.

Great song and great job, Ken, but I don't believe Today was written by John Denver. He performed and recorded it a lot. But I believe it was written by Randy Sparks of "The New Christy Minstrels" fame. Wrote it originally for the film score of a comedy called "Advance To The Rear" in May of 1964. That film score was the first recorded in the 60's "folk" style. Randy is still on the road the The New Christy Minstrels.

Thanks for the info. Yes, you are correct. But I did say that it was written by Randy Sparks.

Thanks Ken, I could listen to you all day. Sometimes I do, you're one my de-stressers:)
DAP

My covers are usually such poor imitations of the originals that I don't get these notices (except for once with a Bob Dylan)... but I thought that there was some magic verbiage one could put in the description (this video is for entertainment purposes only, no commercial intent blah blah blah) that would prevent YouTube deletion...

My covers are usually such poor imitations of the originals that I don't get these notices (except for once with a Bob Dylan)... but I thought that there was some magic verbiage one could put in the description (this video is for entertainment purposes only, no commercial intent blah blah blah) that would prevent YouTube deletion...

They have got me for Dylan covers several times. The last time they threatened to close me down if there was another one. I deleted all the titles and called them "Ukulele (cover).

This latest attack by YT is more sinister though. They appear to have software that will recognise the song itself. It apparently recognises patterns in the music. I don't know whether it works with instrumentals or just vocal covers. Anybody know?

Top Bottom