Planet Waves Circuit Breaker Cable...Great investment...

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw out some big support for the Planet Waves Circuit Breaker instrument cable. They are more expensive than other instrument cables but the investment is noteworthy...(And, no, I'm not getting a kickback from D'Addario, though I really love this product!)

I play at least three different ukes on stage. All retro-fittedwith MiSi pickups. I can use the same instrument cable for all three. Just push the button on the jack pin, breaking the circuit, swap ukes, and push the button again. No loud hum, pops, damage to ears or PA systems. Also...I can break the circuit, retune a uke off PA, and the re-establish the connection. The cables are top notch, heavy duty, and are made with the best components. If you play out amplified, I strongly suggest them.

http://store.daddario.com/category/146464/Circuit_Breaker_Series

Thanks!

I didn't know these existed thanks!

Taylor Guitar has a cables with a volume control and on/off.
Nice feature if you don't have a pre amp.
I used a friends awhile back with my MiSi it worked nicely.

They are available on EBAY, Elderly, Guitar Center and Taylor.
Google "Taylor Guitar Cord", you will find many links.

Last edited:
Of course, then there are the pricey Analysis-plus high end cables, which are also available w/ cutoff jacks. I forget the old cable I had, might have been DiAddario, that had the cut off, but like everything, failed over time. But I like going thru a volume pedal anyway, so I just back off all the way for swapping out ukes. I also have MiSi PUs on the two ukes I use to keep DI settings consistant.

I don't care for the switched plugs with a button to push - they tend to be bulky and very heavy and you have to remember to push the button. I like the ones that have a spring loaded outer shaft that slides forward and grounds out the tip. As you push the plug into the jack a "skirt" on the shaft catches on the jack holding it back while the tip moves forward the rest of the way into the jack. Clever little arrangement that doesn't weigh much more than a regular plug and is impossible to forget to switch.

John

I've always wanted to buy a Planet Waves Circut Breaker cable, and try the Taylor Cable. But I just don't play live, and can't justify it for myself when I've already got a rather large stash of cables. The features do justify their price for people who would need them though.

I have a few Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cables and I love them. I use them on all of my instruments that don't have an onboard volume control. This includes my ukulele (a LoPrinzi concert with a MiSi), my Kala U-Bass and my upright bass which is fitted with a Realist piezo pickup.

- Steve

Last edited:
I have a Stagg cable for 'Mini Hendrix' my eleuke. It has a switch built into the jack that is off until you push the jack home into the socket via a sliding collar switch. I'm just a bedroom twanger, not a pro, but I find it really useful. I play with lots of settings on the practice amp, and when it's set up I like to just unplug the uke when I take a break, without undoing any settings or even switching the amp off. There's just the slightest noise when it switches on in the last half a millimetre of sliding the jack home.

I don't care for the switched plugs with a button to push - they tend to be bulky and very heavy and you have to remember to push the button. I like the ones that have a spring loaded outer shaft that slides forward and grounds out the tip. As you push the plug into the jack a "skirt" on the shaft catches on the jack holding it back while the tip moves forward the rest of the way into the jack. Clever little arrangement that doesn't weigh much more than a regular plug and is impossible to forget to switch.

I can see your point but the switch is really the thing for me. I guess it's all about personal preference. I really like that I can mute the instrument without having to mute at the mixer. Since I usually comp while my wife supplies the patter before the next song, I know if I'm still muted if I don't hear the uke in my hotspot monitor. I do admit, though, that forgetting to un-mute has happened...

Top Bottom