MiSi acoustic trio new volume controls NAMM

raecarter

Reaction score
does anyone have ny info or pictures of these at all here is a website link second product down but the picture is unclear to me how or where it goes etc etc http://mi-si.com/products/ thanks in anticipation rae

Wish I knew. I looked it over and I'm baffled. The unit looks rather crude in the close-up too. My guess would be the dials fit through some kind of slot one would cut if ya dared! Looking forward to a real answer...

I've just ordered some of those so I should find out in a few days how they install. First thing I'm looking at is removing the cheesy looking wheels and replacing them with wood ones. I'd like to see them mounted through two small slots in the upper bout so that maybe 3/32" of the wheel protrudes. Naturally, in that case the mount would have to be fabricated as the uke was built. As an after market solution I can only think to mount it inside the sound hole, similar to the Fishman Matrix Infinity.

I've just ordered some of those so I should find out in a few days how they install. First thing I'm looking at is removing the cheesy looking wheels and replacing them with wood ones. I'd like to see them mounted through two small slots in the upper bout so that maybe 3/32" of the wheel protrudes. Naturally, in that case the mount would have to be fabricated as the uke was built. As an after market solution I can only think to mount it inside the sound hole, similar to the Fishman Matrix Infinity.

Hi please can you inbox me if and when you sort it I would prefer it inside but how do you hook it up o an already installed misi? Thanks for your response Rae

I really like the look of the remote unit.
Wonder if it can be retrofit to an existing MiSi.

I really like the look of the remote unit.
Wonder if it can be retrofit to an existing MiSi.

I was thinking the same thing, Sailinguke. Of course it could be another instance of "where is that darned remote!"

I think the remote control is a bad idea. It's bad enough to have to keep track of the MiSi power pack. The volume control can be mounted anywhere, limited only by your imagination.

I think the remote control is a bad idea. It's bad enough to have to keep track of the MiSi power pack. The volume control can be mounted anywhere, limited only by your imagination.

How do you hook it up to an existing installation though? I must admit o wouldn't like to have a remote in my pocket during a gig

I think the remote control is a bad idea. It's bad enough to have to keep track of the MiSi power pack.

I would have to agree with Chuck. That remote would be history in no time. Having multiple Mi-Si powerpacks is a nice idea. Fortunately, one is included with each Mi-Si purchase. I think I have five of them now.

How do you hook it up to an existing installation though?

It appears that the solder points on the original Mi-Si trio needs to be attached to the volume control. Most likely a simple install once you decide on the volume control location. If your uke has a floating pickguard, you should be all set!

I would have to agree with Chuck. That remote would be hisitory in no time. Having multiple Mi-Si powerpacks is a nice idea. Fortunately, one is included with each Mi-Si purchase. I think I have five of them now.

It appears that the solder points on the original Mi-Si trio needs to be attached to the volume control. Most likely a simple install once you decide on the volume control location. If your uke has a floating pickguard, you should be all set!

Id like it inside the sound hole on the edge if that would be possible

A very talented guitar player named Tuck Andress believes (and I agree with him) that your instrument should provide maximum signal output, and then let your pedal or amp shape the sound outside the instrument. The first thing he does with a guitar is to re-solder the pickup directly to the jack, bypassing the onboard tone and volume pots. He is a jazz guitarist looking for maximum expression. He just uses a volume pedal.

All that being said, I do like Chuck's idea of having some nice wood wheels just barely above the surface of the ukulele, I can see it now...

How do you hook it up to an existing installation though? I must admit o wouldn't like to have a remote in my pocket during a gig

For an aftermarket installation I would guess the location for the controls would be just inside the sound hole. It wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a mounting block an locate it as long as no bracing interferes. However, there are obvious disadvantages to having the sound control inside the sound hole.....

A very talented guitar player named Tuck Andress believes (and I agree with him) that your instrument should provide maximum signal output, and then let your pedal or amp shape the sound outside the instrument. The first thing he does with a guitar is to re-solder the pickup directly to the jack, bypassing the onboard tone and volume pots. He is a jazz guitarist looking for maximum expression. He just uses a volume pedal.

All that being said, I do like Chuck's idea of having some nice wood wheels just barely above the surface of the ukulele, I can see it now...

+1 on this - the true beauty of the MiSi acoustic trio is its simplicity. First, there is the reason given above - provide the hottest signal possible to your outboard equipment so your signal is as far above the noise floor as possible (less hum, etc.). Third, off-device electronics are always going to be more capable - better EQ, better FX, etc. Fourth, the more complex your onboard circuitry is the more there is to fail - and onboard repairs tend to be touchier and more expensive. With outboard you don't have to hand your favorite axe over to someone to "gut" - just buy a new pedal, preamp, gizmo, whatsis.

Hmmm, looks like I skipped "second." Oh well, I'm an engineer, nobody said I should be able to count. No...wait..that's spell. Oh well.

John

Top Bottom