UAS- why??

mendel

Reaction score
As a UU member, I read a lot about UAS. I am curious though. I don't know of any other I strument that people choose to collect like the Uke. Guitarists may have 2 or 3 guitars, but a horn player has his horn. With Uke players, it seems like we are content to play at level that is lower than the caliber o instrument we own and own a multitude of instruments.

I'm not in any way judging- I really want to understand. I've been playing for about 5 months and I have one Uke. I can feel myself outgrowing it as I get better because mine is an entry level Lanikai. I am having Bradford build me a Uke. I'm hoping to fall in love with it as soon as I hold it. If all goes according to plan, then why would I want another one???

I get the urge to buy Ukes, but I don't feel like I deserve it if I am not at a level o ability commensurate with the instrument. For example, I'm sure I will spen years becoming worthy of my Bradford Custom.... What do you guys think??? Why do some people collect the Uke!?!?

Last edited:
I think that one reason is that ukes are so cheap (compared to guitars, saxophones, horns, etc). Some think if they just get that new uke it will make them better players. Some just enjoy looking at the beauty of a well made instrument. Others are just born collectors, like people that collect stamps. I have so many because it took me a long time to discover what size and type I really wanted - I am still not there yet.

One reason is definitely the price. A high-quality french horn, oboe, bassoon, tuba, violin, cello, etc will set you back significantly more than a high-quality ukulele. Jake's uke at $5,500 is about the top range of ukuleles. For a decent oboe, that's the starting price. And I know that my high school band teacher had a $35,000 professional grade bassoon. So it scales up.

Plus, I think you get more choices with the woods, and shapes, and more variety when looking at ukes/guitars than you do with those traditional symphony instruments. I own several flutes...they're all the same except the more expensive ones have more pure sound...not quite like guitars where buying multiples will give you different tone.

Well there are a few reasons uke lends itself well to UAS. One is that different tonewoods mean different sound. Different sizes mean different sounds. Different sizes and different tonewoods paired with different tunings lend to even more variety. Most wind players do have two though at least. One is the beater and the other is the sounder.

Guitars have this same thing going for them. Different types of builds and woods and tunings usually means you gotta get em all. :) But not so many that you can't play them all.

I could say price is a factor, but they can get as pricey as any other wood instrument, so IMO it isn't that.

I think the relatively low price does have something to do with it. I've seen pennywhistle and Irish flute players become subject to the same sort of mentality; the whistlers call it WhOA (Whistle Obsessive Acquisition [Disorder]). Whistles, like ukuleles, are relatively cheap; my top-of-the-line low D whistle set me back maybe $350, whereas someone buying a good but not quite professional-level Boehm flute will probably blow at least $2,000 on it. When you can, in fact, pick up a sweet, in-tune factory-made whistle for under $5, and even a hand-crafted one will frequently cost you under $100 (if not under $50), it is very tempting to buy up all the whistles in sight until you find your favourite(s). Like ukulele players, whistlers also spend a great deal of time selling quite nice instruments so that they can upgrade. I've observed a lot of interesting similarities between the two communities.

The funny thing is its not limited to musical instruments. Before I got into the ukulele hobby, I was into building recumbent bicycles. I had to teach myself to weld to do it, so I joined some welding forums. Those guys are just like ukers - except they are collecting welders that cost anywhere from $400 -$10,000+. I myself ended up with 3!

I think you are all right. So many choices at such reasonable prices and they take up so little space, roughly 5 ukes to 1 guitar.
The choices keep coming too with more builders and variety from already established companies. I'll be posting about a new model from Mainland soon. Also have to plug the wonderful Sailor Brand- Got Kawazinga and Eucalyptus all figured models coming soon. Any hoo , if you love ukuleles you have UAS and hopefully not IBS:)

I understand the appeal to buy ukuleles and for all the reasons given by others. But I am a little like you in that I want to find "that" one ukulele that makes me not want another.

I imagine that I may end up with a half a dozen in the end as I rarely sell any instrument, but when I see a ukulele that I really like I ask myself what would I be getting over what I have? Is it that one uke or do I already have the one, at least for me and my budget? I am more tempted by an instrument that everyone doesn't have.

So for now, I'm doing good. I see a number of ukuleles out, especially in the marketplace, that I would love to have, but I can only play one at a time, and I'd rather save my money for now.

John

Very interesting replies. I am very interested... Beyond the different sizes, shapes, and styles, I am interested in this because it seems like it may pass the point of a hobby and may approach compulsion.

I've read threads on here about people sacrificing some very important aspects of life in order to buy a new Uke. I am in no position to judge others, but I am entitled to feel concern... Especially for the people in this community that has given me so much. I guess we are all adults and we make our own decisions, but I still worry....

Not just ukes for some- I have to walk over accordions everywhere I go.....I may be an exception.
My obsessive collecting is life-long, but several of my ukes filled a need that my wife actually agreed with. I have two at school- it was one but it was always in the hands of someone else. I have a Uke that is dedicated to sitting at my computer, and it is loud enough to hear when I play along with my music files. Most of my "needs" are however filled by spending hours building and learning- next up, pineapple steel string electric.
It tends to be a type of person though I figure. I collect everything I get into...90,000 songs on four different hard drives, yo-yos everywhere, and bones. I am always making bones. I guess if you don't do it with everything, you won't need to do it with one thing (or several)...
My dad has got to have 20 steel guitars- probably genetic :)

When I first started playing, I thought I was immune to UAS. But somehow I ended up with 5 ukuleles - and I still want one or two more. Being a minimalist at heart, this goes against almost everything I believe in, but - here's my justification:

1) Ohana soprano. My first uke. It's now my beach uke, because if it gets thrashed I won't care.
2) Vintage Columbia solid mahogany. I probably should part with it because it's a pain to play, but it's pretty so I keep it around.
3) Kamaka Soprano with pickup. If it didn't have the pickup, I could probably let this one go, but I like to mess around with it plugged in sometimes.
4) Kamaka Concert #1 - high G. Bought this one when I started fingerpicking more and needed the two extra frets it has over the soprano.
5) Kamaka Concert #2 - low G.
6) On the wishlist - Kamaka pineapple. I have no real justification for wanting this one other than I think they are lovely :)
7) On the wishlist - Kamaka tenor. Because sometimes I like playing tenors for fingerpicking, but not for strumming chords (my hands are too little!)

So there's the "why" of it for me. Truth is, I could probably part with the Ohana and the Columbia, and just be brave and take one of my Kamakas to the beach. At the very minimum, though, I think any player *needs* two ukes, either in case one has to spend time at the shop, or you alternate between low and high G.

As for ability being on par with the instrument - I can tell you for sure that I sound way better playing my Kamakas than I do playing my Ohana. I don't know if it's that I enjoy it so much more, or if the superiority of the instrument somewhat makes up for my lack of ability, but I do know that the better I sound, the more I play. So it's my belief that you don't have to be a virtuoso to own a nice instrument.

For me:
Because it brings me joy.
It isn't destructive, either to myself or others.
They are works of art.
They are all different.
The fun of variety.
The wonderful ease of making music.
The never ending promise of learning more and getting to be a better player.

While I am not judging anyone, I think it becomes compulsion when the purchase supercedes the playing.

The ukulele is such a happy sounding instrument and there is so much joy to be had that to buy just to own and put in the closet loses some of the ukulele's appeal.

But UAS is not all that bad, I think what GMoney did is the best example of what can be done with UAS in being able to spread the joy of the ukulele around.

John

Because of different voices/personalities, uniqueness or rarity, and affordability.

I expect TCK is referring to these. I'm kind of wondering if he sells them. I've been meaning to pick up some bones, but I've never quite got around to it.

Yeah yeah- not those bones (I have one shrunken head and one medical school skull from the 40's though).
These bones
155598_456850046175_544346175_5975536_1968911_n.jpg

Last edited:
Whether it's ukes, or shoes, or classic cars . . . the key is balance. I think that it's great that so many people love their ukes and have a collection going. So far, I've been meeting people on this forum and in other venues that have collections, but who also give back to their community. Like everything else, it's about finding balance between acquisition and giving.

Top Bottom