PDA

View Full Version : UAS- why??

mendel
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
As a UU member, I read a lot about UAS. I am curious though. I don't know of any other I strument that people choose to collect like the Uke. Guitarists may have 2 or 3 guitars, but a horn player has his horn. With Uke players, it seems like we are content to play at level that is lower than the caliber o instrument we own and own a multitude of instruments.

I'm not in any way judging- I really want to understand. I've been playing for about 5 months and I have one Uke. I can feel myself outgrowing it as I get better because mine is an entry level Lanikai. I am having Bradford build me a Uke. I'm hoping to fall in love with it as soon as I hold it. If all goes according to plan, then why would I want another one???

I get the urge to buy Ukes, but I don't feel like I deserve it if I am not at a level o ability commensurate with the instrument. For example, I'm sure I will spen years becoming worthy of my Bradford Custom.... What do you guys think??? Why do some people collect the Uke!?!?

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I think that one reason is that ukes are so cheap (compared to guitars, saxophones, horns, etc). Some think if they just get that new uke it will make them better players. Some just enjoy looking at the beauty of a well made instrument. Others are just born collectors, like people that collect stamps. I have so many because it took me a long time to discover what size and type I really wanted - I am still not there yet.

experimentjon
02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
One reason is definitely the price. A high-quality french horn, oboe, bassoon, tuba, violin, cello, etc will set you back significantly more than a high-quality ukulele. Jake's uke at $5,500 is about the top range of ukuleles. For a decent oboe, that's the starting price. And I know that my high school band teacher had a $35,000 professional grade bassoon. So it scales up.

Plus, I think you get more choices with the woods, and shapes, and more variety when looking at ukes/guitars than you do with those traditional symphony instruments. I own several flutes...they're all the same except the more expensive ones have more pure sound...not quite like guitars where buying multiples will give you different tone.

Plainsong
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Well there are a few reasons uke lends itself well to UAS. One is that different tonewoods mean different sound. Different sizes mean different sounds. Different sizes and different tonewoods paired with different tunings lend to even more variety. Most wind players do have two though at least. One is the beater and the other is the sounder.

Guitars have this same thing going for them. Different types of builds and woods and tunings usually means you gotta get em all. :) But not so many that you can't play them all.

I could say price is a factor, but they can get as pricey as any other wood instrument, so IMO it isn't that.

Kem
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I think the relatively low price does have something to do with it. I've seen pennywhistle and Irish flute players become subject to the same sort of mentality; the whistlers call it WhOA (Whistle Obsessive Acquisition [Disorder]). Whistles, like ukuleles, are relatively cheap; my top-of-the-line low D whistle set me back maybe $350, whereas someone buying a good but not quite professional-level Boehm flute will probably blow at least $2,000 on it. When you can, in fact, pick up a sweet, in-tune factory-made whistle for under $5, and even a hand-crafted one will frequently cost you under $100 (if not under $50), it is very tempting to buy up all the whistles in sight until you find your favourite(s). Like ukulele players, whistlers also spend a great deal of time selling quite nice instruments so that they can upgrade. I've observed a lot of interesting similarities between the two communities.

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
The funny thing is its not limited to musical instruments. Before I got into the ukulele hobby, I was into building recumbent bicycles. I had to teach myself to weld to do it, so I joined some welding forums. Those guys are just like ukers - except they are collecting welders that cost anywhere from $400 -$10,000+. I myself ended up with 3!

Hippie Dribble
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
hi mendel,

1. affordability
2. beauty
3. wide variation in tonewoods and sounds, and
4. different sizes and scale lengths, and
5. different models ( plastic; resonator; banjo )
6. experimentation (necessitated by 3-5 above)
7. the sheer joy of collecting

you might also find this thread interesting mate: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37520-UAS-a-theory-of-justification&highlight=UAS%3A+theory+justification

Uke Republic
02-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I think you are all right. So many choices at such reasonable prices and they take up so little space, roughly 5 ukes to 1 guitar.
The choices keep coming too with more builders and variety from already established companies. I'll be posting about a new model from Mainland soon. Also have to plug the wonderful Sailor Brand- Got Kawazinga and Eucalyptus all figured models coming soon. Any hoo , if you love ukuleles you have UAS and hopefully not IBS:)

70sSanO
02-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I understand the appeal to buy ukuleles and for all the reasons given by others. But I am a little like you in that I want to find "that" one ukulele that makes me not want another.

I imagine that I may end up with a half a dozen in the end as I rarely sell any instrument, but when I see a ukulele that I really like I ask myself what would I be getting over what I have? Is it that one uke or do I already have the one, at least for me and my budget? I am more tempted by an instrument that everyone doesn't have.

So for now, I'm doing good. I see a number of ukuleles out, especially in the marketplace, that I would love to have, but I can only play one at a time, and I'd rather save my money for now.

John

mendel
02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Very interesting replies. I am very interested... Beyond the different sizes, shapes, and styles, I am interested in this because it seems like it may pass the point of a hobby and may approach compulsion.

I've read threads on here about people sacrificing some very important aspects of life in order to buy a new Uke. I am in no position to judge others, but I am entitled to feel concern... Especially for the people in this community that has given me so much. I guess we are all adults and we make our own decisions, but I still worry....

TCK
02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Not just ukes for some- I have to walk over accordions everywhere I go.....I may be an exception.
My obsessive collecting is life-long, but several of my ukes filled a need that my wife actually agreed with. I have two at school- it was one but it was always in the hands of someone else. I have a Uke that is dedicated to sitting at my computer, and it is loud enough to hear when I play along with my music files. Most of my "needs" are however filled by spending hours building and learning- next up, pineapple steel string electric.
It tends to be a type of person though I figure. I collect everything I get into...90,000 songs on four different hard drives, yo-yos everywhere, and bones. I am always making bones. I guess if you don't do it with everything, you won't need to do it with one thing (or several)...
My dad has got to have 20 steel guitars- probably genetic :)

SweetWaterBlue
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
bones? I have heard of people collecting shrunken heads. What does your bone collection look like?

janeray1940
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
When I first started playing, I thought I was immune to UAS. But somehow I ended up with 5 ukuleles - and I still want one or two more. Being a minimalist at heart, this goes against almost everything I believe in, but - here's my justification:

1) Ohana soprano. My first uke. It's now my beach uke, because if it gets thrashed I won't care.
2) Vintage Columbia solid mahogany. I probably should part with it because it's a pain to play, but it's pretty so I keep it around.
3) Kamaka Soprano with pickup. If it didn't have the pickup, I could probably let this one go, but I like to mess around with it plugged in sometimes.
4) Kamaka Concert #1 - high G. Bought this one when I started fingerpicking more and needed the two extra frets it has over the soprano.
5) Kamaka Concert #2 - low G.
6) On the wishlist - Kamaka pineapple. I have no real justification for wanting this one other than I think they are lovely :)
7) On the wishlist - Kamaka tenor. Because sometimes I like playing tenors for fingerpicking, but not for strumming chords (my hands are too little!)

So there's the "why" of it for me. Truth is, I could probably part with the Ohana and the Columbia, and just be brave and take one of my Kamakas to the beach. At the very minimum, though, I think any player *needs* two ukes, either in case one has to spend time at the shop, or you alternate between low and high G.

As for ability being on par with the instrument - I can tell you for sure that I sound way better playing my Kamakas than I do playing my Ohana. I don't know if it's that I enjoy it so much more, or if the superiority of the instrument somewhat makes up for my lack of ability, but I do know that the better I sound, the more I play. So it's my belief that you don't have to be a virtuoso to own a nice instrument.

pdxuke
02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
For me:
Because it brings me joy.
It isn't destructive, either to myself or others.
They are works of art.
They are all different.
The fun of variety.
The wonderful ease of making music.
The never ending promise of learning more and getting to be a better player.

70sSanO
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
While I am not judging anyone, I think it becomes compulsion when the purchase supercedes the playing.

The ukulele is such a happy sounding instrument and there is so much joy to be had that to buy just to own and put in the closet loses some of the ukulele's appeal.

But UAS is not all that bad, I think what GMoney did is the best example of what can be done with UAS in being able to spread the joy of the ukulele around.

John

Kem
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
bones? I have heard of people collecting shrunken heads. What does your bone collection look like?

I expect TCK is referring to these (http://www.world-beats.com/woodenbones.html). I'm kind of wondering if he sells them. I've been meaning to pick up some bones, but I've never quite got around to it.

mrjewkulele
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
there are seven different sizes. everyone wants one of each

bbqribs
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Because of different voices/personalities, uniqueness or rarity, and affordability.

TCK
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I expect TCK is referring to these (http://www.world-beats.com/woodenbones.html). I'm kind of wondering if he sells them. I've been meaning to pick up some bones, but I've never quite got around to it.

Yeah yeah- not those bones (I have one shrunken head and one medical school skull from the 40's though).
These bones
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/155598_456850046175_544346175_5975536_1968911_n.jp g

ukunuke
02-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Whether it's ukes, or shoes, or classic cars . . . the key is balance. I think that it's great that so many people love their ukes and have a collection going. So far, I've been meeting people on this forum and in other venues that have collections, but who also give back to their community. Like everything else, it's about finding balance between acquisition and giving.

Chris Tarman
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Here are some pictures from the Chicago Pipe Show, to put this into perspective.

Chris Tarman
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
And a few more...209402094120942

This show has 365 exhibitors. A lot of them have multiple tables. I have no idea how much money is sitting on tables in that hall. Some new pipes can cost several thousands of dollars. Some old, USED pipes can too.
I have over 500 pipes. My 18 ukuleles don't seem so crazy.

GX9901
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
In my opinion, ukuleles lend itself to UAS because of its small size. They don't take up too much space so it's easy to accumulate. I think those of us who have a case of UAS most likely are people who have a tendency to collect or accumulate things, not just ukes. Every hobby I got myself into I've ended up with piles of those items in my "collection". I'm not someone who would ever bite off more than I can chew, so I think I'm ok in terms of being a responsible "collector", even though I've never bought a uke solely for the purpose of collecting it. Every uke I buy I consider them players.

With regards to being "worthy" of a high-end ukulele, I'm of the opinion that the better the ukulele, the more beginner friendly it actually is. My best and most expensive ukes are also the easiest playing and most enjoyable ukes to play. When I get a high-end ukulele, it's not because I'm a great player. It's because I know I'm getting a great instrument that's easy to play and enjoy. I understand that it's probably not possible or practical for most people, but in a perfect world, I really think every ukulele beginner would be better off to start with at least a K-brand ukulele or even a custom ukulele.

Chris Tarman
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
In my opinion, ukuleles lend itself to UAS because of its small size. They don't take up too much space so it's easy to accumulate. I think those of us who have a case of UAS most likely are people who have a tendency to collect or accumulate things, not just ukes. Every hobby I got myself into I've ended up with piles of those items in my "collection". I'm not someone who would ever bite off more than I can chew, so I think I'm ok in terms of being a responsible "collector", even though I've never bought a uke solely for the purpose of collecting it. Every uke I buy I consider them players.

With regards to being "worthy" of a high-end ukulele, I'm of the opinion that the better the ukulele, the more beginner friendly it actually is. My best and most expensive ukes are also the easiest playing and most enjoyable ukes to play. When I get a high-end ukulele, it's not because I'm a great player. It's because I know I'm getting a great instrument that's easy to play and enjoy. I understand that it's probably not possible or practical for most people, but in a perfect world, I really think every ukulele beginner would be better off to start with at least a K-brand ukulele or even a custom ukulele.

I agree with every word you just said.

pdxuke
02-23-2011, 07:04 PM

+2. Well said.

Put a Kamaka in a kid's hands, and you'll have a player for life.

ukunuke
02-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Amen! The better the machine, the more fun it is to drive!

TCK
02-23-2011, 08:08 PM

+4- my first songs were punk rock tunes played on a 1940 Martin 3M...
You are spot on...has nothing to do with how well you play- the workmanship of the tool makes playing it a pleasure

Flyke
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Ok, two more things in addition to the excellent reasons given above.

1. I reckon that the type of folks who are likely to get a bit obsessive and start collecting ukes are same type of folks who end up spending time chatting about it on forums like these. So you just might get a higher proportion of UAS sufferers on these boards compared with the general uke playin' public.

2. Personally, I feel that the ukulele is perfect instrument for playing with a group. The sound of ukes in unison is just beautiful. So, I like the idea of having a few ukes that I can hand around when there's a few people in my backyard.

Hippie Dribble
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Ok, two more things in addition to the excellent reasons given above.

1. I reckon that the type of folks who are likely to get a bit obsessive and start collecting ukes are same type of folks who end up spending time chatting about it on forums like these. So you just might get a higher proportion of UAS sufferers on these boards compared with the general uke playin' public.

2. Personally, I feel that the ukulele is perfect instrument for playing with a group. The sound of ukes in unison is just beautiful. So, I like the idea of having a few ukes that I can hand around when there's a few people in my backyard.

great observation Flyke!!! Totally agreed on both points.

experimentjon
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM

George, my friends call that "hoarding," not collecting. Just kidding! :P

grammy
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
for me the reasons i collect are diverse but... i need a beater uke that i don't mind getting bashed about, so there is one. I am left handed but i need a right handed uke too so i can play on other peoples when out and assess ukes in shops etc, thats two. different sizes lend themselves to different playing styles, e.g. a baritone or tenor is easier to play lead or melody lines or chord melody pieces on, but you lose some of that rhythmic chop you get on a soprano or concert. so there is another 4, that makes six. additionally you need an electric becasue it is a totally different playing style and tonal quality. that is seven. also you need a banjo uke becasue again the tone, texture and style is different, that's eight. You may have bought an entry level uke and need to upgrade to a better instrument to replace your favorites, in my case tenor and soprano, thats ten. then you realise that you almost certainly need a serious pro level uke if you want to gig, so you start thinking about one of the 5 'k' brands. that's eleven. after that you might think that different styles and looks are interesting, you might want a resonator for the tone, thats twelve, you might want to experiment with a flea or fluke that's 13, on top of all this you might just like the look of one, or more, that makes about thirty.

Teek
02-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Agree on compulsivity. I've been an antiques dealer for years, it cultivates the disease.
Also a sculptor and artist, so collect from the standpoint of functional art.
Not an issue for how well I can play, (not well) but I can appreciate the difference in build quality, feel, and sound.
I have 6-7 keepers, the rest will move on when the time is right.
I wanted to settle out what I really wanted, what fit, and what I had the most affinty for.
Getting closer!

joeybug
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I kinda fell into having more than one Uke. My first needing upgrading (no idea who made it but it's very cheap!), my second was an Ohana to "upgrade" me, and then I wanted a pineapple because of the difference in sound and then my fourth was a gift from some lovely UU'ers, as it was something I could probably never afford to buy on my own. It's not about the obsession so much, or the UAS (though I do like to blame that!) it's more about different types giving me a different sound.

I do also very much agree that it's the best made Ukulele that sounds good in the hands of a beginner, you don't earn the higher up ones, in a way they earn you, their playability should be the same should you be a beginner like me, or someone so good at it like say, Jake.

I really don't have the income for serious UAS, though I am saving for a new one, but like you it'll probably be a custom...

mm stan
02-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Aloha Mendel,
Everyone posted some really good reasons ....the reason I like to buy ukes...there are many...every time I get a new one it's like I get more motivated and inpired again plus I buy different sizes and try to learn them alll...Also I like to play several alone..and make comparisons and I'm always looking for my Holy grail ukulele...I have many and have my favorites,,,but still looking for that special one that fits me and my
voice like a glove....there is always a better uke out there..jus keepin' my eyes open...he he and sometimes my wallet too....MM Stan...

Nixon
02-23-2011, 11:21 PM
I only had 2 ukes for 4 years, a beater lanikai and an Ashbury Tenor. Finally cracked earlier this year after ordering a Pete Howlett Tenor and finding a bajolele on a charity shop. Now I'm hooked after seeing how every uke sounds and feels different. Hunting for at least an 8 string tenor, a nice concert and a flea/fluke to paint to match my campervan :)

joeybug
02-23-2011, 11:28 PM
I only had 2 ukes for 4 years, a beater lanikai and an Ashbury Tenor. Finally cracked earlier this year after ordering a Pete Howlett Tenor and finding a bajolele on a charity shop. Now I'm hooked after seeing how every uke sounds and feels different. Hunting for at least an 8 string tenor, a nice concert and a flea/fluke to paint to match my campervan :)

I'm saving for a possible custom from Pete Howlett, he does make some beautiful Ukes, I hope you'll post pictures of yours when it's finished! I also want a flea to match Astrid my first Uke - so purple of course!

Hippie Dribble
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
I just love having beautiful things around me. Hey, when you got a head like mine you need beautiful things around you. That's why I married eugenie too...he he :o

fitncrafty
02-24-2011, 01:55 AM
This is a great topic Mendel. Right now I have 3 ukes, my first is such a buzzer (complete lemon) that I never play it, and wouldn't sell it on this forum because I wouldn't with any conscious send it to another. My kids play it occasionally (rarely) and then I have my luna which I love. There is a dolphin that my husband ordered to do a paint job on and I may never play it as he rarely touches it. sigh... really a wall hanger anyway.
I am going to get an eleuke because I want to have electric to hope and entice my boys to play with me. I have thought about flea occasionally to have something sturdy to leave out and around.. but wont die without it.
My only other thought was someday, when I am worthy(and can afford it) to order a mya moe concert to have a solid instrument.. Otherwise, really I am content. If I never had another besides my luna I would probably be just fine...

70sSanO
02-24-2011, 04:43 AM

I agree 100%. For many it is not possible from a monetary standpoint, but if you can afford one, get a good first ukulele. I am thankful that my first uke was a KoAloha sporano. What a wonderful instrument. Even if a person doesn't stick with the uke, a good ukulele will hold its value much better.

This holds true for most activites, get a good product, not necessarily the most expensive, and learning the activity will be more enjoyable. I really learned to appreciate this years ago when cycling around the hills in Orange County... when I would struggle up a hill, I knew that I was the one responsible, not the equipment.

John

Gipserio
02-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Hi Mendel, I have a friend who is a professional guitarist and has 22 guitars! I must agree with you though that some fellow uke players seem more interested in collecting than playing. I have, like yourself, an entry level Lanikai and a quality solid wood LoPrinzi. I feel my playing would have to get much better (as would my domestic economy) for me to even think about getting a third one. I can imagine being more than tempted by a Da Silva Santos reproduction, but I don't think I'll ever have the money...

pat rock
02-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Remember that any musical instrument is an extension of yourself. Musicians need their instruments to express themselves, and instruments are as varied as people! Ukulele are imbued with the qualities of the wood: where it was grown, soil and weather conditions, it reacts to the way it is treated and played. Don't forget the luthiers' blood, sweat, tears, dreams and desires all go into the ukulele as well! So don't worry about us, we're doing just fine!

Nixon
02-24-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm saving for a possible custom from Pete Howlett, he does make some beautiful Ukes, I hope you'll post pictures of yours when it's finished! I also want a flea to match Astrid my first Uke - so purple of course!

Check out here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41506-Andaman-Padauk&highlight=andaman) to see the body. Seen it at the workshop and by god it's beautiful. Best investment you'll ever make buying a Howlett.

2 of his materpieces are on eBay atm tenor (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pete-Howlett-Tenor-Ukulele-/230588034078?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item35b01e2c1e#ht_500wt_1156) and solidbody tenor (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peter-Howlett-Electric-Tenor-Ukulele-/170605299391?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item27b8de46bf#ht_500wt_1156). Might have to put a bid on the solidbody, sooo sexy:drool:

twosheds
02-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I actually don't think it is necessarily great to start out on an expensive uke. I've been banging away on a cheap Mahalo for a couple months (with upgraded strings at least), and I know that once I get a decent instrument I'll be able to properly appreciate it. When you start out, you just don't have a good enough ear to tell the difference. And while I can definitely see the advantage of starting with something that is "more easily playable" (due to being of higher quality), again, I am not sure that the differences are stark enough to completely change whether someone really takes to playing. It actually feels like a sign of progress to me to feel that I am pushing the limits of what I can do with it. As long as it isn't some toy garbage that buzzes and won't stay in tune, I say that someone who's trying out the instrument shouldn't feel as though they need to spend $300 to get started.

And as for UAS, I think Sweetwaterblue's first comment was exactly right. Plus, since Ukuleles are comparatively cheap, assuming someone has played for ~5 years or so, spending a few hundred dollars every year and then ending up with 4 or 5 ukes doesn't seem that extreme. There is definitely an element, with any of those things, of people thinking that a more expensive instrument will make them a better player. It may not win me any friends here, but I have always felt that beyond a certain point most people are not as good at judging quality as they think they are. Especially in the case of abstract things like sound or taste.

What is nice though, is that with uke people it seems like most of the urge to collect them is driven more by an urge for variety, rather than just a more expensive version of what they already have. Unless you're nearly a professional, you're hardly going to sound much better with a $2,000 uke than you would on a $500 one. On the other hand, I can totally understand why once you already have a couple good standard instruments you'd want to try a banjolele or a fluke or whatever.

RyanMFT
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
+ 1 for variety as twosheds added.

I am far from being a great player but I really enjoy the different sound, look, and feel of each of my ukuleles. Also, it feels like I go in waves of playing one uke a lot, then when I grab something else, I fall in love with a different uke all over again and think to myself "why don't I play this one all the time, it is awesome". The variety keeps me always trying different ukuleles on a song to see what I like the best. For me, having a few ukuleles just brings more variety to the whole experience.

I also really enjoy the search. I am patient and find ukuleles in unusual ways and in unusual places. For me, in a sense, the search is another part of the whole ukulele thing. I am always keeping my eyes peeled, always telling people I play and look for ukuleles, then when they pop up there is always a rich story and a lot of really good feelings attached to that particular ukulele.

joeybug
02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Check out here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?41506-Andaman-Padauk&highlight=andaman) to see the body. Seen it at the workshop and by god it's beautiful. Best investment you'll ever make buying a Howlett.

2 of his materpieces are on eBay atm tenor (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pete-Howlett-Tenor-Ukulele-/230588034078?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item35b01e2c1e#ht_500wt_1156) and solidbody tenor (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peter-Howlett-Electric-Tenor-Ukulele-/170605299391?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item27b8de46bf#ht_500wt_1156). Might have to put a bid on the solidbody, sooo sexy:drool:

:drool: looking really good, make sure to post when you finally get your hands on it!

casarole45
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Apologies if I've missed someone else saying this but I'm suprised no ones said this, but I think a lot of it comes down to 'UU':D.

If I didn't know about this forum I would probably still be playing one uke, but.... I've learnt a lot about other ukes and playing styles through the members on this site, I've seen eye candy (the uke kind... well and the other), and I just get really into the ukes other people are playing and raving about and I just get really excited about the ukes I see and the positive vibes just say buy it... just one more. :o

joeybug
02-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Apologies if I've missed someone else saying this but I'm suprised no ones said this, but I think a lot of it comes down to 'UU':D.

If I didn't know about this forum I would probably still be playing one uke, but.... I've learnt a lot about other ukes and playing styles through the members on this site, I've seen eye candy (the uke kind... well and the other), and I just get really into the ukes other people are playing and raving about and I just get really excited about the ukes I see and the positive vibes just say buy it... just one more. :o

:agree: I would probably have never brought a "decent" Uke if it wasn't for UU...Astrid the purple wonder was okay to my ears, but the eye candy and suggestions from UU members made me upgrade to my Ohana, Lilo and from there onwards!

OldePhart
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
As a UU member, I read a lot about UAS. I am curious though. I don't know of any other I strument that people choose to collect like the Uke. Guitarists may have 2 or 3 guitars, but a horn player has his horn. With Uke players, it seems like we are content to play at level that is lower than the caliber o instrument we own and own a multitude of instruments.

I'm not in any way judging- I really want to understand. I've been playing for about 5 months and I have one Uke. I can feel myself outgrowing it as I get better because mine is an entry level Lanikai. I am having Bradford build me a Uke. I'm hoping to fall in love with it as soon as I hold it. If all goes according to plan, then why would I want another one???

I get the urge to buy Ukes, but I don't feel like I deserve it if I am not at a level o ability commensurate with the instrument. For example, I'm sure I will spen years becoming worthy of my Bradford Custom.... What do you guys think??? Why do some people collect the Uke!?!?

Sorry to disappoint but, actually, GAS is probably worse than UAS (I have several more guitars than ukes - of course, I've been at that longer). At least, ukes only cost a third to a fourth what a guitar of equivalent quality goes for...

Also, many horn players own several. I even know a guy who has PAS (yes Piano acquisition syndrome, if you can believe it). Talk about expensive and space-consuming@

I will say that in my case, at least, the various "AS's" (hmm, wonder what the software is going to mangle that too?) come from a common theme, trying to find the "ultimate" _fill_in_the_blank. For example, for many years I bought several electric guitars every year (and sold some too). I finally had my "perfect" instrument built for me in 2006 and haven't bought an electric guitar since. Likewise, when I got my Taylor auditorium in 2002 I haven't even looked at a steel-string acoustic since. In fact, I'm planning on selling most of the orphans that don't hardly ever get played any more. Once I started designing and building tube amps I stopped buying amps. Etc.

I've found much the same pheneomenon to be true in ukes, except that the pesky little things have so many different varieties (scale sizes, body sizes, banjo ukes, resonators) that are all different enough to almost be different types of instruments. :)

John

OldePhart
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah yeah- not those bones (I have one shrunken head and one medical school skull from the 40's though).
These bones
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/155598_456850046175_544346175_5975536_1968911_n.jp g

That's a nice looking set of bones. Cowribs? Did you make them yourself or purchase them?

John

mendel
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm getting a much clearer picture. where I live, just aboutthe only Ukes sold in stores are Lnikai entry models, or Dolphins. I have never played a Uke tha sells for more than about $200, so I did not comprehend the quality difference between the sizes, let alone resonators and such. In fact, I've only seen those online!! I guess that he different sizes, woods, and styles all sound different so it makes more sense now. I guess that the fact that I have been so limited will help me appreciate my next Uke that much more.

SailQwest
02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I have more ukuleles than I do pairs of shoes...and I only have five ukuleles. Of the five, only two get played: my "main" uke and my solid-body "beater."

Chris Tarman
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Aloha Mendel,
Everyone posted some really good reasons ....the reason I like to buy ukes...there are many...every time I get a new one it's like I get more motivated and inpired again plus I buy different sizes and try to learn them alll...Also I like to play several alone..and make comparisons and I'm always looking for my Holy grail ukulele...I have many and have my favorites,,,but still looking for that special one that fits me and my
voice like a glove....there is always a better uke out there..jus keepin' my eyes open...he he and sometimes my wallet too....MM Stan...

Honestly, I hope I never find "THE" uke. I enjoy them too much to limit myself to one. I wouldn't mind finding "THE TEN" ukes, though.

dkcrown
02-24-2011, 01:44 PM

I also really enjoy the search. I am patient and find ukuleles in unusual ways and in unusual places. For me, in a sense, the search is another part of the whole ukulele thing. I am always keeping my eyes peeled, always telling people I play and look for ukuleles, then when they pop up there is always a rich story and a lot of really good feelings attached to that particular ukulele.

I wholeheartedly agree. Well said Ryan. As a matter of fact, I just found one of them here on the Marketplace. Thanks Chris:)

To me, the question isn't; UAS-Why? But, UAS-Why not?

Chris Tarman
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM

I am far from being a great player but I really enjoy the different sound, look, and feel of each of my ukuleles. Also, it feels like I go in waves of playing one uke a lot, then when I grab something else, I fall in love with a different uke all over again and think to myself "why don't I play this one all the time, it is awesome". The variety keeps me always trying different ukuleles on a song to see what I like the best. For me, having a few ukuleles just brings more variety to the whole experience.

I do that same thing with bass guitars. I'll play one for a while, then I decide to take one I haven't played in a while out on a gig, and I think "Wow! This sounds AMAZING!". I'm not sure that it sounds all that amazing, REALLY. I think what happens is that your ear gets accustomed to the tone of one, so that another with equally good but different tone sounds cool because you're not used to it. It's the same with ukes. I'll play one for a while, and then pick up one I haven't played in a few weeks (as long as it is of decent quality and not one of my clunkers) and be knocked down by the sound.

janeray1940
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I have more ukuleles than I do pairs of shoes...

You are my hero - this is my goal! Before I started playing, I had, um, a bit of a shoe problem. In my own defense, though, it was because I wrote a blog about shoes.

Chris Tarman
02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
You are my hero - this is my goal! Before I started playing, I had, um, a bit of a shoe problem. In my own defense, though, it was because I wrote a blog about shoes.

I wonder if posting on UU counts as "writing a blog" about ukuleles? Oh man, I hope so!

janeray1940
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I wonder if posting on UU counts as "writing a blog" about ukuleles? Oh man, I hope so!

Next thing you know, ukulele manufacturers will start sending you free samples to review... At least that's how it worked with blogging about shoes :)

NatalieS
02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
I used to have UAS, and it was all about finding the "perfect" uke. After about 4 years of searching, I found mine. Then it was really strange and sudden... my UAS went out the door, and I sold all my other ukes. I still enjoy looking at ukes on the internet and ebay, but I don't have the desire to buy another one. (Maybe it's because I am now focusing on replacing all my hand-me-down college furniture with nice dining and living room sets. LOL. I have something else to consume my money.)

tjomball
02-25-2011, 04:08 AM
As a long time mountainbiker I've suffered from MTBAS. And that my friends is a truly expensive addiction. A roadbike, a BMX, a crosscountry hardtail, crosscountry full suspension, full suspension trail bike, hardtail trail bike, Hardtail freeride bike, Full sus. freeride, downhill race bike, 4x racing hardtail. All pro level. My taste is the worlds most simple to suss out. (bikewise) I only want the best.

Not quite there with Ukes. Yet. But considering the fact that I only played ukes since late december last year and already have two. I'd say I'm well on my way.. Already looking for a concert to complement my soprano and tenor. Considering the U-bass as well. So I guess I got it.. Not as bad as my MTBAS though.. But WAY cheaper.. :D

marymac
02-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Ditto.

(PS: I hate the 10 character minimum on posts)

seoulsister
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
So, Natalie.... what do you play?

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
So, Natalie.... what do you play?

She has the most gorgeous Kamaka pineapple I've seen... well, I've only seen PHOTOS, but it's a beauty!

NatalieS
02-25-2011, 04:07 PM
She has the most gorgeous Kamaka pineapple I've seen... well, I've only seen PHOTOS, but it's a beauty!

That's very kind, Chris. You're right, my one and only is my Kamaka pineapple. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was "The One"!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/th_010.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/?action=view&current=010.jpg)http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/th_011.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/Kamaka/?action=view&current=011.jpg)

NerdicusMaximus
02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I have three Ukuleles: A Flea Soprano (ukelyptus green), a Concert Luna Tattoo, and a Tenor Fluke (Mango Orange). I love the Flea and the Fluke. I am not that jazzed about the Luna. It is probably because it was the first ukulele I bought when I was figuring out what I wanted in an instrument. It is not bad by any means. I would even suggest one to a person looking for a good quality ukulele under $100. I just like the necks of the Magic Fluke instruments. I have been playing guitar for ever. Once I zeroed in on my electrics for my band, I never thought about other guitars. Pedals are the same. I think musicians fill their musical toolbox with the tools of their trade. at least I did. Once I had what I needed, i was done. I had to buy a new amp head recently, because my old one was having troubles, but other than that I have only purchased strings for the guitar for quite some time.
I now have all three sizes of the ukulele that appeal to me. I can't see getting many more.

philpot
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
I guess I should count myself fortunate that my 16 year old budget can't handle UAS, nor would my mother allow it ;) the best I can do is save up for my Kamaka. After that, the mere mention of another uke after all this talk and my mom would have my head, and my Yet-to-exist-Kamaka would be in the trash. So I guess I could say my mother is my God-prescribed medication for UAS ;)

ADD
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I guess I should count myself fortunate that my 16 year old budget can't handle UAS, nor would my mother allow it ;) the best I can do is save up for my Kamaka. After that, the mere mention of another uke after all this talk and my mom would have my head, and my Yet-to-exist-Kamaka would be in the trash. So I guess I could say my mother is my God-prescribed medication for UAS ;)

What kind of Kamaka are you hoping to buy?

philpot
02-26-2011, 01:07 PM
What kind of Kamaka are you hoping to buy?

New-ish concert. hoping to have the money for it by the time summer gets up and going :P

joeybug
02-26-2011, 03:08 PM
New-ish concert. hoping to have the money for it by the time summer gets up and going :P

Good Luck! I'm also saving, lower goal, and I'm 29, but still on limited funds!