string question

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
thought this would be a good place to post this question. I have been playing for a few months now and was wondering about how long does a set of strings last. Say... aquilas. I play about an hour every day. Mine still seem fine and hold tune but was curious about when they begin to give out so I can keep replacements on hand. Also, can you use concert strings on a soprano? thanks, rem

thought this would be a good place to post this question. I have been playing for a few months now and was wondering about how long does a set of strings last. Say... aquilas. I play about an hour every day. Mine still seem fine and hold tune but was curious about when they begin to give out so I can keep replacements on hand. Also, can you use concert strings on a soprano? thanks, rem

Try a search, because there was just a thread on this very set of questions:)

On question 1, it varies. I've had Aquilas a year and are just now changing them out.

Yes, you can use concerts. I have a Favilla soprano strung with Aquila concerts.

I appreciate the help. I should have mentioned I tried the search but could not figure out how to narrow it down to what I was looking for so I thought I would just ask. THanks, rem

James Hill says that you can run your fingertip on the underside of the strings where they meet the fret wires. If you can feel an indententation, it's time to change the strings.

Re: James Hill.....Thanks Ik

I've had my Ohana since September, played usually at least twice a day for about an hour each time and I've not changed the Aquila's she came with. Same with my Luna Tattoo also with Aquila. I put Aquila's on Astrid (my cheap purple Uke) and they're still going, but I don't play her as much. I had GHS on Hoa my KPK, but recently changed to Worth Browns to try a different sound, and she gets played the most right now as I'm settling the strings.

Long story short, it depends on the strings, the playing you do, but the comment about James Hill and knowing when to change them is very useful.

Top Bottom