PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody done this...

Tudorp
02-24-2011, 04:31 AM
I was just thinking this morning while playing "Iz".

I was wondering if anyone had done, or tried this to find a specific sound for a specific song, or purpose.

We all know that depending on the strings ya use, your Uke can obtain different tones and sounds. Has anyone ever thought of mixing strings of different types and manufacturers to obtain a specific sound of chords? For instance, your root notes using a carbon string, and the rest of the strings aquilas, or other combinations?

Weird thought I know. But was just wondering what the outcome of that for specific songs would do.

PedalFreak
02-24-2011, 05:35 AM
I know some guitar players that do that. Don't see why you couldn't on the ukulele also :)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
02-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Interesting thought.

As economical (read 'cheap') as I am, I have done that a few times, usually when I only needed one string. But then there was no thought as to being the 'root' string, just replacing the one that broke!

I suppose there was a difference in the sound after the switch had been made, but I was too distracted by simply being able to play again, that I did not pay much attention to it.

Still, it's an interesting thought.

Keep thinking, and uke'in',

JoshFromTallGrassUkes
02-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't be sure, but I think that Matt Dahlberg/thejumpingflea told me that he does that sometimes.

PhilUSAFRet
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I regularly see some ukers getting low g strings other than the one that normally comes with the rest of the set, don't see why that can't apply to other strings as well.