PDA

View Full Version : Got my first "dislike" on youtube!

Dougf
02-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Actually, two in one day! I've sort of been anticipating this milestone, since if I'm honest with myself, my stuff is not really all that great. But for some reason, I'm not taking it as hard as I thought I would. Maybe it's because the two "dislikes" were on my entries in the Montreal Uke Grand Prix contest, so they're getting more critical exposure, and I can take it with a grain of salt. And I've yet to receive anything remotely resembling a negative comment on any of my videos, which I'm sure would be harder to swallow.

Anyway, since I haven't yet posted these to "videos and links", I thought I'd take this opportunity to do so now. Those of you who have been following the contest may have already seen them, but here they are. Hope you "like" them :),

Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuotHP1tPao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCglOgRWFE0

Ambient Doughnut
02-24-2011, 05:15 AM
God that's awful!

;)

Wouldn't sweat it - that's some nice playing and singing there.
Can't please everyone - etc..

Nice looking uke there too

:)

gioconbrio
02-24-2011, 05:18 AM
I just got my 1,069th dislike.

Jnobianchi
02-24-2011, 05:48 AM
I think dislikes are actually pretty cool - it shows you're taking a risk, trying something distinctive. You're not always going to connect with everybody, and if you do, you're either great - or inoffensive.

Dougf
02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
I think dislikes are actually pretty cool - it shows you're taking a risk, trying something distinctive. You're not always going to connect with everybody, and if you do, you're either great - or inoffensive.

That's a really good point. Now I wish I had more "dislikes" :).

Ken Middleton
02-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Wait until someone says they dislike your music to your face. That's a tough one.

I get a lot of dislikes, particularly if it is something a little different. And when I have done something I'm really pleased with, there's always someone that dislikes it.

What I really don't much like is personal comments like "old-timer", "bald dude", "granmpa". I am a grandfather, just not theirs.

Don't worry about it, Doug. It's probably just a non-ukulele player who doesn't realise that you have to be positive.

Dougf
02-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Ken, I'm amazed that anyone could dislike any of your videos, but it's nothing short of shocking that you get those kind of comments. Of course, these online social media allow people to behave in ways that would be unthinkable in personal interactions.

harpdog
02-24-2011, 07:05 AM
I appreciate when people tell me when I fall short - especially if they tell me why.
Be glad they took the effort instead of just thinking it to themselves.

mm stan
02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Everybody's bound to get them...if it's from good intentions and they offer some positive advice is nice..then there are the negative trouble makers, that's another story.....you can't please everyone..
I always liked your video's and enjoy them...thanks for sharing them...and keep um coming...MM Stan..

DAPuke
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
You rock Doug. All the vids you post and only a couple of dislikes. I'd say you're doin pretty good. I enjoy all your video's. I can see the passion in your posts. That's what counts, you love it and give it all! Thanks,
DAP

haolejohn
02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Actually, two in one day! I've sort of been anticipating this milestone, since if I'm honest with myself, my stuff is not really all that great. But for some reason, I'm not taking it as hard as I thought I would. Maybe it's because the two "dislikes" were on my entries in the Montreal Uke Grand Prix contest, so they're getting more critical exposure, and I can take it with a grain of salt. And I've yet to receive anything remotely resembling a negative comment on any of my videos, which I'm sure would be harder to swallow.

Anyway, since I haven't yet posted these to "videos and links", I thought I'd take this opportunity to do so now. Those of you who have been following the contest may have already seen them, but here they are. Hope you "like" them :),

Doug

At least you get comments:)
I had a guy once tell me I can't sing. Like I didn;t know that already. But if they don't like, they don't have to lie and say they do. I personally think you sound fine.

Dougf
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. As jnobianchi pointed out, I think this is a badge of honor of sorts, and part of the process of becoming a full-fledged member of the youtube community. Now if I can only garner a few negative comments... just kidding, don't anybody get any ideas, not sure I'm really ready for that just yet. :)

OldePhart
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Heh, heh. I got my first "dislike" on my first video on the first day it was up. I tell myself somebody just missed the "like" button! :)

John

Ukulele Jim
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
YouTube is full of trolls. The day you start taking YouTube commenters seriously is the day you die a little inside.

deach
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
1. It's only YouTube.
2. Michelangelo is incredible but there are pieces of his I dislike.
3. It's only YouTube.
4. 'dislike' is a lot better than comments like: you suck, what waste of my time, die, please don't every step in front of a camera again.
5. It's only YouTube.

UKISOCIETY
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM
1. It's only YouTube.
3. It's only YouTube.
4. 'dislike' is a lot better than comments like: you suck, what waste of my time, die, please don't every step in front of a camera again.
5. It's only YouTube.

6. They accidentally missed the "Like" button (I've done it)
7. It's only YouTube.

Doc_J
02-24-2011, 04:20 PM
In my job I get to read feedback and comments about my 'performances' from my students.

I find you can't please everyone, if you're doing your best work.

I also find it helps to read feedback/comments with a beer.
:D

keonepax
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I've found that most "haters" and trolls don't have the courage to post their own videos (with them appearing in front of the camera), but at least they can easily be blocked on YouTube. The anonymous "dislikers" are more annoying and cowardly, I think. In any case, after a while, you can shrug them off with a "whatever... can't please 'em all." As long as you're trying your best and your love of music shines through, you're going to get a lot more positive responses than negative. Don't let a few negative people spoil your YouTube experience. The vast majority of people are encouraging and supportive.

Dougf
02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
1. It's only YouTube.
3. It's only YouTube.
5. It's only YouTube.

Maybe someone should start a thread of "Most negative comment on youtube". I thought Ken had some pretty good (meaning bad) ones, but Deach, yours are priceless.

uke5417
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I've always been amazed at the kind-spirited comments I've received, compared to the abundance of mean comments to be found on YT vids in other genres. Among the 1,000-plus comments, a single instance of out-and-out hatefulness, coming, of course, from someone unwilling to show their face in a vid of their own. I thanked them for their input and went on my way. The comment is still there, on some song I can't recall. I left it, as I figure it tells more about the poster than about my song.

All in all, I feel blessed, given the encouragement I've received since I began playing ukulele.

velofille
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Usually I think people dislike, not necessarily because of the playing or singing, but they don't actually like the song (similar to what others are saying). I've been listening to a bit of 1920s music lately and my kids just think its a bit wrong :D

Ken Middleton
02-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I've always been amazed at the kind-spirited comments I've received, compared to the abundance of mean comments to be found on YT vids in other genres ...

You are right, Bruce. My original bluegrass guitar channel (ichthus888) was very successful. It has close to 2000 subscribers and several videos with views in hundreds of thousands. It is still actually open, but I have all but shut it down (disabled comments, etc). I never go there any more. I just looked and the first video I checked had 24 dislikes.

It was the negative comments that disheartened me though. Many people were critical of the fact that they couldn't see both my hands. They thought that if they saw what my hands were doing they would be able to play it too.

When I started doing ukulele videos, the first thing I noticed was how genuinly nice people were. Really supportive and friendly. I think this is still pretty much true.

Jnobianchi
02-25-2011, 06:57 AM
I've found that most "haters" and trolls don't have the courage to post their own videos (with them appearing in front of the camera), but at least they can easily be blocked on YouTube. The anonymous "dislikers" are more annoying and cowardly, I think. In any case, after a while, you can shrug them off with a "whatever... can't please 'em all." As long as you're trying your best and your love of music shines through, you're going to get a lot more positive responses than negative. Don't let a few negative people spoil your YouTube experience. The vast majority of people are encouraging and supportive.

This is spot on - the anonymous dislikers ARE annoying and cowardly, and should be dismissed. I made the mistake of calling one out once who savaged another player's performance that I really admire, and he went off on me like a starving wolf. A whole lot of personal misery and history came up, nothing I caused or wanted to deal with.

Ignore them with extreme prejudice. :)

OldePhart
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
a single instance of out-and-out hatefulness, coming, of course, ...I left it, as I figure it tells more about the poster than about my song.

Yeah, that is so true. Not only does it speak to their personality, but to their intelligence as well. They aren't even bright enough to realize that making some stupid, inane, hateful comment about something that other folks are praising does nothing but destroy their own credibility.

John

Adie227
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
All of my dislikes have come from contest entries too.

One of which I came third in. The dislike's appeared after the results were heard too. I wouldn't take it to heart. Youtube is full of great music, great characters and a lot of big great idiots.

I watch a lot of videos on youtube and I'm forever reading negative comments and petty arguments. I should stop reading the comments (but I cant help myself).

I hope you continue to make videos and enter contests. :)

velofille
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I have been known to dislike a well known popular ukulele player in the last few days .... great uke playing but he had the worst singer! it was aweful :/

wildjimbo
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
There's another sort of "disliker" out there. He doesn't necessarily "dislike" the video as he may just dislike YOU for some reason or other. I had an instance where I held a different opinion than someone else regarding some esoteric banjo nonsense. He got pretty heated up about it... next thing I know I have "dislikes" on all my videos where I had none before. Nope, can't prove it was him, just seemed pretty suspicious to me. I've known of it happening to other people too. Petty? Well, it is the "internet".

Don't sweat the dislikes. There are plenty of folks that don't like stuff that I play or sing. That's fine. I like most of the things I've had the courage to post, and apparently so do a few other folks.

Just keep plugging away at it!

-=Jim

Ken Middleton
03-03-2011, 08:16 PM
There's another sort of "disliker" out there. He doesn't necessarily "dislike" the video as he may just dislike YOU for some reason or other. I had an instance where I held a different opinion than someone else regarding some esoteric banjo nonsense. He got pretty heated up about it... next thing I know I have "dislikes" on all my videos where I had none before. Nope, can't prove it was him, just seemed pretty suspicious to me. I've known of it happening to other people too. Petty? Well, it is the "internet".

The best way of dealing with someone who is going to cause problems is to block them as soon as you can. Just press "Block User" on their channel page.

Maiyah888
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I'll probably cry when I get my first dislike.

Reading the gracious comments on this thread has been very useful in preparing me for that eventuality.

Thanks to all commenters, and the OP, for sharing your talents on YouTube and your thoughts here on the Forum.

Cokecan72
03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
I've posted about 37 vids onto my youtube channel, and 2 of them have a dislike.. A christmas one that i done with my girls nothing serious just for fun and a competition one back in halloween.. Oh well, can't please everyone and plus i get nice comments from my subbies so i'm not to worried..
I can't belive that anyone one speak harshly about Ken, whats he ever done to anyone except share his marvilous music, it's a crazy world we live in, but as long as i get more possitives than negitives then i'll keep on strummin and posting it :)

olivah
03-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Perfect to me...I always thought this was a french song?!
Cheers Olivah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfsp8kwJto&feature=related

Ken Middleton
03-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I just counted. In the last year, since March 2010, I have received 15 dislikes on my videos. It is important to realise thought, that none of my friends will have been negative, just people I don't know. So, what does it matter? Who cares?

byjimini
03-05-2011, 01:53 AM
I can deal with "I don't like your style of music" being said to my face, it's when people say "you're crap" or suchlike - music is completely subjective - one man's crap is another man's favourite.

In my eyes there's no such thing as 'bad' or 'crap' music - there's the stuff you like, the stuff you don't and the music you haven't heard yet.

Dougf
03-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Perfect to me...I always thought this was a french song?!
Cheers Olivah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfsp8kwJto&feature=related

Yes, the original lyrics were based on a poem written by Jacques Prévert, The music was written by Joseph Kosma, who was Hungarian-French. I was thinking of trying a verse in French, but I'm sure that would have generated a profusion of "dislikes" :).

Thanks to everyone for your comments and insights. I feel very fortunate to be part of this community.

Doug

jayfong
03-11-2011, 05:56 AM

just find some proxy man.. you can find some at newest proxy sites (http://proxy-zone.net)... just go there click at any link and in new opened website type youtube URL. enjoy ;)

ADD
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Wait until someone says they dislike your music to your face. That's a tough one.

I get a lot of dislikes, particularly if it is something a little different. And when I have done something I'm really pleased with, there's always someone that dislikes it.

What I really don't much like is personal comments like "old-timer", "bald dude", "granmpa". I am a grandfather, just not theirs.

Don't worry about it, Doug. It's probably just a non-ukulele player who doesn't realise that you have to be positive.

For the record, Ken, I'd be happy to claim you as my wonderfully, talented "granmpa" who's one handsome "bald dude", but you'd have to be several decades older.

BTW, I forgot to say I love your videos - playing, singing, interpretation and reviews. Thanks for your generosity in doing so many.

Bradlands
03-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I got a bunch of those...I got really excited until I read it more carefully and realized it's "Dis-like" not "Dis..I Like" Kinda sorry now I quit my day-job to hit the road.... ;-)

BlueInGreenUkulele
03-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Doug - I like your videos. You're trying to do something different with jazz chords and progressions. You would probably get more likes and less dislikes if you put a brittany spears cover in the mix or maybe a rap song or two.

austin1
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Instead of counting the dislikes, I look at how many dislikes in relation to likes. For example, on the flute/uke duet I did with my sister, there are 3 dislikes, but 18 likes. That´s six people who hit like per one person that hit dislike. I can totally live with that ratio.

krabbers
03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
i got a "bof" the other day,, seems to be french word meaning not worth commenting, so so , or whatever? lol, i went to his channel and it wasnt available, nearly all the bad comments i have got have been people with no videos up themselves .

it also means (as in the urban dictionary ) to dry hump . maybe he wanted to do that to me

i once got called GAY. i went to his page and there were 8 videos of his dog growling

keep on uke'in

14twelve
03-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Dislikes don't bother me at all, especially on covers. Some people have expectations of how songs will sound, and hearing them on a ukulele, or with my voice just doesn't meet their expectation. That doesn't worry me - can't please everyone! I'm actually amazed I haven't had more dislikes, especially when you look at the channels of some really talented people and how many dislikes they get.

Overall I've found YouTube to be very encouraging and I'm really thankful for all the positive comments I get (and quite surprised to be honest!) :)

ombracorta
03-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I also got one on my Montreal ukulele grand prix contest :)
I thought that was someone disappointed by my first place...
I don't care, latins used to say "De gustibus non disputandum est", that means "Useless to discute about tastes".

Anyway Doug you rock!

jdogface
03-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I dislike you (only cause you're so much better than me, just kidding bout the dislike). Dude you rock!!! And Ill bet that if you met the "disliker" you prolly wouldnt like them either. Gotta have a thick skin ifin yer goin on the net, the world is filled with negative douchebags.

uke4ia
03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't sweat dislikes. They could be due to anything, and unless the person leaves a comment you won't know what. It can easily be for something that has nothing to do with your video, since a lot of this is done by insomniac teenagers. I got one for a song I wrote called "Community". It could be someone hated the song, more likely it was a 15-year-old who was looking for clips from the NBC sitcom and got peeved when the video was something else. I wrote a song based on Harry Potter called "No One Cool Ever Came from Hufflepuff." Turns out there's all these people on YouTube who consider themselves members of Hufflepuff. I expect when and if the Potter community watches the video there's be a bunch of dislikes from the Hufflepufflians.

Dougf
03-20-2011, 05:27 AM
When I first posted this thread, I thought I was just making note of a little rite of passage, but it seems I kind of struck a nerve, I guess a lot of people can relate.

YouTube is great technology, allowing us to share our music, with little thumbnails of ourselves in suspended animation, just waiting to come alive with the touch of a finger. But, as is often the case with technology, it's a double edged sword, also allowing us to be pelted with the occasional virtual rotten tomato. And the world has plenty of rotten tomatoes. :)

So many great comments on this thread, lots of humor, lots of insight, tons of support. Thanks,

Doug

Ruukie
03-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Those dislikes are just rare occasions of hitting the wrong button. So many people watching wanted videos without having an opinion or dislike it by saying nothing, so just be happy with all the positives votes. Best case is when you are satisfied with your own work, although you know it could be always better. That's a pretty cool emotion :)

wee_ginga_yin
03-20-2011, 11:46 AM
A dislike can be a slip of the finger and you can overlook it.
But on the other hand a block is a bit harder to take... especially
when someone takes umbrage to what you have considered to be
sparkling wit. Being blocked means that your opinions are not wanted.

Has anybody had to deal with that?

UKISOCIETY
03-20-2011, 12:45 PM
i got a "bof" the other day,, seems to be french word meaning not worth commenting, so so , or whatever? lol, i went to his channel and it wasnt available, nearly all the bad comments i have got have been people with no videos up themselves .

it also means (as in the urban dictionary ) to dry hump . maybe he wanted to do that to me

i once got called GAY. i went to his page and there were 8 videos of his dog growling

keep on uke'in

heh.

"LIKE"

Hippie Dribble
03-20-2011, 01:17 PM
really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks everyone for your insights and feelings. Youtube is very new to me still and a little scary . Of course, the thing is, when you open yourself up to such widespread public exposure that is the youtube juggernaut, you are an anstant and easy target for some. I think that dislikes are often motivated by jealousy and / or cowardice, especially when done anonymously. Doesn't take a great intellect to put someone down. My experience in life is that some people are just missiles looking for something to blow up. The happier and friendlier you are the more intense their dislike of you. The thing for us to do is, like the ol' song says..."Accentuate the positive..." I also need to say that, Doug, you are an extremely talented guy mate and I love your music. Cheers! :)

Craig
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I've received a few...mostly because I don't have or won't post the TAB to my arrangements..... Oh well.... Become a high school teacher and you'll get used to "dislikes."

musicmonsterw
03-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Heh, heh. I got my first "dislike" on my first video on the first day it was up. I tell myself somebody just missed the "like" button! :)

John

"missed the like button" that's hilarious. Thanks for sharing that.

musicmonsterw
03-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Maybe someone should start a thread of "Most negative comment on youtube". I thought Ken had some pretty good (meaning bad) ones, but Deach, yours are priceless.

I once had a comment that went, "Die! M*********" I joked with the commenter that he spelled it wrong. It didn't bother me but it bothered some of my subscribers so I deleted the comment and my response as well. Actually, the comment did me a lot of good. I posted it on my Facebook and got a lot of attention. Some of my FB contacts didn't even know I did music videos until then.

musicmonsterw
03-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I don't think dislikes are necessarily a bad thing. I think the worst thing is to post a number of videos and get no likes, no dislikes and no comments at all.
I know of one band that gave up entirely on Youtube because this is what happened to them.

Also, a number of things I've noticed.

My most popular and most commented on videos always pick up a number of dislikes.
My videos that have no dislikes are not my most seen videos.
I had a bad disagreement with a small group and my dislikes rose. That disagreement has subsided now and my dislike level has dropped.
My most disliked videos are usually contest entries or things that have been nominated for awards.

I probably spend too much time focused on dislikes and not on all the wonderful likes, favorites, and positive comments I've received.

And for the record, Doug, I favorited one of your videos that were disliked. so to the disliker, I gleefully stick out my tongue.

SweetWaterBlue
03-21-2011, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure I would ever post a "dislike," although I truly do dislike some videos mostly for reason other than music quality. I respect anyone that has the courage to make a video of themselves playing and/or singing. We all must start somewhere, so I don't expect everyone to sound like Jake. When I first started out, I was really encouraged by the messages of encouragement I got from people who I know are busy and can actually play.

One thing bad about YT comments is most people are too kind to give constructive feedback. I ever read one post on another board/blog where a poster was complaining about someone making suggestions about sound recording etc. Its always hard to know whether to point something out, or not. Most of the time, we already know what sucks in our recordings, but sometimes we don't, and perhaps a constructive comment might help.

Most will never be able to play like Jake, and most will never have a voice like Rick Russo, but I believe that there is a performing niche for everyone. Its finding it that is hard.

000Kanaka000
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
There is no block as the dislike is anonymous. Have never had dislikes until
recently and now almost every video there is someone that has to run over
and dislike it. Who knows why all of the sudden someone gets their shorts in
a knot and is out for this type of sick revenge - it's sad to see that level of
pettiness. Have had one person though before that would make account after
account to post negative nasty comments on a different channel.When someone
gets that type of obsessed they need some professional help.

The best way of dealing with someone who is going to cause problems is to block them as soon as you can. Just press "Block User" on their channel page.

gyosh
11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
I've received a few...mostly because I don't have or won't post the TAB to my arrangements..... Oh well.... Become a high school teacher and you'll get used to "dislikes."

As a fellow high school teacher this comment made me LOL. ratemyteacher.com One kid was concerned with how I would take a comment somebody posted on ratemyteacher and he was shocked when I told him I've never bothered to look at that site.

OldePhart
11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
The funny thing about YouTube trolls is that they are so ignorant that they don't realize that what they say reveals more about their own character than it does about the video they are panning.

The very best revenge on these people comes in not removing or blocking their comments - let them show the whole world what idiots they are!

John

000Kanaka000
11-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Sometimes dislikes come not due to your music but just because someone
takes a dislike to you for whatever reason. That or sometimes it's out of
jealousy. Remember it's not always because of a judgement of your music.
Unfortunate but the way it is. If they had to post their name with the dislike
i dare say there would be way less of these types of things taking place.

Just remember we can't please everyone and all we can do is our best.
So far my favorite of your videos has been the rap one, that was
fantastic the rest have been also excellent so just be true to yourself
and continue to put out more of the quality videos that you have always
done.

hammer40
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, is that you will see "dislikes" for bands such as The beatles, Rolling Stones, Springsteen, you name the artist and there is more than likely a dislike given to them.

OldePhart
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
i got a "bof" the other day,, seems to be french word meaning not worth commenting

Actually, I think that's "textese" for "best of friends" - at least, that would be my story and I'd be sticking to it. :)

John

blue_knight_usa
11-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi Doug, don't worry about dislikes. If you are having fun, and sharing the joy of the ukulele, then that's what matters.
Anyone who posts anything takes that chance, and good for you for taking chances. Do not that discourage you.

Keep making and posting your videos, as I think most of us in this community (IMHO) enjoy seeing others have fun and I always seem to learn something watching various videos.
After all, I learned to play uke from only watching videos, so without people like you posting them, I would probably not be a uke player because I hate learning from books ;-)

I agree with Ken's comments below and last time I played along with Ken in his class a few months back, he definitely had more than a few hairs on his head (maybe less than last year when I saw him) and definitely didn't look old enough to be my grandfather. He could pass for my great uncle though ;-)

000Kanaka000
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Also you can turn off the option for likes and dislikes.
That way haters have to actually post their comment
and at least do so as some type of an identity. If they
have to actually step up then less of it happens. As it's
easier to post a dislike anonymously versus have to use
your youtube identity to leave a negative comment.

Tootler
11-13-2012, 03:55 AM
The dislikes and negative comments can be useful even if they aren't particularly constructive.

I got a negative comment on a Burns song that I had posted and, while the comment was not at all constructive and I think was more about disliking the song itself, it still made me take another look at the video and I decided that it was pretty crap and took it down. I haven't redone that particular song but I will sometime when I get round to it.

Garydavkra
11-14-2012, 08:27 AM
I should really take a look to see if I have any, not that it matters. I've found that as an artist (artist as in painting and drawing) one has to have a thick skin. Not everyone will appreciate what I do and that's fine. However, I always like to know why they don't like it. I think that our own worst enemy is our ego. So, when I open myself up for criticism, I put the ego in the closet and lock the door. One of these days I'm going to throw away the key. I'm getting real close!;)

Hochapeafarm
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
This thread was just pointed out to me by fellow UU vanflynn...so glad that he did! Thank you so much, vanflynn! I started playing the ukulele a little over a year ago, and though I am a freelance writer, songwriting is new to me. After almost one year of posting my humble attempts at making uke videos, I rec'd my first "dislike" two days ago. Unfortunately, it was for a song that I had just written after losing my beloved dog, i.e., it was SUPER meaningful to me. I tried SO hard to make this tribute video song/pet memorial beautiful for my dog, and to express what I was feeling with her loss. It crushed me getting the negative "dislike" feedback (no comments).

I know that, of course, I am by NO means (nor will I ever be) a Natalie Merchant, Whitney Houston, etc. with my singing, nor am I any Jake Shimabukuro, etc. with my uke skills and playing...but, honestly, I am not trying to be. With this particular song, and in most cases with my songwriting and uke playing, I am trying to use music and writing to work through and process emotions...and sometimes really difficult ones at that. I admit I wear my heart on my sleeve...and I guess that's a thin line to walk upon. My own fault.

But, I agree, the anonymous "dislikers" are what bother me the most. I can appreciate constructive criticism...but just receiving a blanket '"dislike" is hard. I want to know why someone doesn't like it...well...on second thought, maybe I don't, after reading some of what the other posters to this thread have said. ;-)

Anyhow, I do feel so much better after reading the posts on this thread. So many thanks, again, to vanflynn for showing me this thread. Many of the comments made me chuckle and remember to stop taking myself so darn seriously...and, more importantly, to remember that I am really doing this for a positive reason...for my love of playing music, writing, and my love of the uke. Uke people are so awesome; I am SO glad that I found this community! Thank you!!!

kirbo
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Don't even sweat it. Haters are going to hate. Jake's Ukulele Weeps vid has 847 dislikes.

The Big Kahuna
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Don't even sweat it. Haters are going to hate. Jake's Ukulele Weeps vid has 847 dislikes.

Give me some credit dude, have you any idea how long it took to create that many Youtube accounts ?

jabberjaw
01-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Wat comes around goes around, include likes and dislikes....all it matters is the uke passion we have in us...rock on!:rock:

Ukeval
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Interesting thing is to go on your channel and click the Analytics page, then choose Lifetime in date range. Then you'll have the number of view, and total likes and dislikes, then you can make a ratio...
For my uke channel, dislikers are 0.5% (more on the lute channel, where I scored 2.5% of dislikers, but lute people are very hard to their fellows lutenists...) but you can also see that just a few viewers clik the like/dislike buttons...
I had also some arguments with a lutenist once on the french lute mailing list, then I start to have dislikes on all my videos... (of course he never post himself on YT...)
So I don't really care about likes dislikes but I try to answer every comment, even just a thanks... It create a personal link to the poster of the comment and makes YT less virtual and more human.

anthonyg
01-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Dislikes? Dont sweat them. Since the like and dislike button are so close together I think that a certain percentage of dislikes are accidental from people who really wanted to click "like".

What's the REAL test of your video popularity? The answer is Audience Retention. If your upset about a dislike or 2 DON'T look at your audience retention. Its sad.

Anthony

The Big Kahuna
01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
If you just got the odd dislike it's either down to viewers clicking the wrong icon, or trolls who have no idea what they're looking at.

Pauli
01-31-2013, 11:28 PM
... I am trying to use music and writing to work through and process emotions...and sometimes really difficult ones at that.

... I am really doing this for a positive reason...for my love of playing music, writing, and my love of the uke.

Well, you obviously have a ton of soul and that is so important in this world. Keep up the good work!

Hochapeafarm
02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, you obviously have a ton of soul and that is so important in this world. Keep up the good work!

Hi Pauli, your comment totally made my day -- thank you so much for saying (writing!) that! :) ~ Chelle