Got my first "dislike" on youtube!

Dougf

Reaction score
Actually, two in one day! I've sort of been anticipating this milestone, since if I'm honest with myself, my stuff is not really all that great. But for some reason, I'm not taking it as hard as I thought I would. Maybe it's because the two "dislikes" were on my entries in the Montreal Uke Grand Prix contest, so they're getting more critical exposure, and I can take it with a grain of salt. And I've yet to receive anything remotely resembling a negative comment on any of my videos, which I'm sure would be harder to swallow.

Anyway, since I haven't yet posted these to "videos and links", I thought I'd take this opportunity to do so now. Those of you who have been following the contest may have already seen them, but here they are. Hope you "like" them :),

Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuotHP1tPao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCglOgRWFE0

Last edited:
I think dislikes are actually pretty cool - it shows you're taking a risk, trying something distinctive. You're not always going to connect with everybody, and if you do, you're either great - or inoffensive.

That's a really good point. Now I wish I had more "dislikes" :).

Wait until someone says they dislike your music to your face. That's a tough one.

I get a lot of dislikes, particularly if it is something a little different. And when I have done something I'm really pleased with, there's always someone that dislikes it.

What I really don't much like is personal comments like "old-timer", "bald dude", "granmpa". I am a grandfather, just not theirs.

Don't worry about it, Doug. It's probably just a non-ukulele player who doesn't realise that you have to be positive.

Ken, I'm amazed that anyone could dislike any of your videos, but it's nothing short of shocking that you get those kind of comments. Of course, these online social media allow people to behave in ways that would be unthinkable in personal interactions.

I appreciate when people tell me when I fall short - especially if they tell me why.
Be glad they took the effort instead of just thinking it to themselves.

Everybody's bound to get them...if it's from good intentions and they offer some positive advice is nice..then there are the negative trouble makers, that's another story.....you can't please everyone..
I always liked your video's and enjoy them...thanks for sharing them...and keep um coming...MM Stan..

Last edited:
You rock Doug. All the vids you post and only a couple of dislikes. I'd say you're doin pretty good. I enjoy all your video's. I can see the passion in your posts. That's what counts, you love it and give it all! Thanks,
DAP

Actually, two in one day! I've sort of been anticipating this milestone, since if I'm honest with myself, my stuff is not really all that great. But for some reason, I'm not taking it as hard as I thought I would. Maybe it's because the two "dislikes" were on my entries in the Montreal Uke Grand Prix contest, so they're getting more critical exposure, and I can take it with a grain of salt. And I've yet to receive anything remotely resembling a negative comment on any of my videos, which I'm sure would be harder to swallow.

Anyway, since I haven't yet posted these to "videos and links", I thought I'd take this opportunity to do so now. Those of you who have been following the contest may have already seen them, but here they are. Hope you "like" them :),

Doug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuotHP1tPao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCglOgRWFE0

At least you get comments:)
I had a guy once tell me I can't sing. Like I didn;t know that already. But if they don't like, they don't have to lie and say they do. I personally think you sound fine.

Thanks UU

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. As jnobianchi pointed out, I think this is a badge of honor of sorts, and part of the process of becoming a full-fledged member of the youtube community. Now if I can only garner a few negative comments... just kidding, don't anybody get any ideas, not sure I'm really ready for that just yet. :)

Heh, heh. I got my first "dislike" on my first video on the first day it was up. I tell myself somebody just missed the "like" button! :)

John

1. It's only YouTube.
2. Michelangelo is incredible but there are pieces of his I dislike.
3. It's only YouTube.
4. 'dislike' is a lot better than comments like: you suck, what waste of my time, die, please don't every step in front of a camera again.
5. It's only YouTube.

1. It's only YouTube.
3. It's only YouTube.
4. 'dislike' is a lot better than comments like: you suck, what waste of my time, die, please don't every step in front of a camera again.
5. It's only YouTube.

6. They accidentally missed the "Like" button (I've done it)
7. It's only YouTube.

In my job I get to read feedback and comments about my 'performances' from my students.

I find you can't please everyone, if you're doing your best work.

I also find it helps to read feedback/comments with a beer.
:D

I've found that most "haters" and trolls don't have the courage to post their own videos (with them appearing in front of the camera), but at least they can easily be blocked on YouTube. The anonymous "dislikers" are more annoying and cowardly, I think. In any case, after a while, you can shrug them off with a "whatever... can't please 'em all." As long as you're trying your best and your love of music shines through, you're going to get a lot more positive responses than negative. Don't let a few negative people spoil your YouTube experience. The vast majority of people are encouraging and supportive.

1. It's only YouTube.
3. It's only YouTube.
5. It's only YouTube.

Maybe someone should start a thread of "Most negative comment on youtube". I thought Ken had some pretty good (meaning bad) ones, but Deach, yours are priceless.

I've always been amazed at the kind-spirited comments I've received, compared to the abundance of mean comments to be found on YT vids in other genres. Among the 1,000-plus comments, a single instance of out-and-out hatefulness, coming, of course, from someone unwilling to show their face in a vid of their own. I thanked them for their input and went on my way. The comment is still there, on some song I can't recall. I left it, as I figure it tells more about the poster than about my song.

All in all, I feel blessed, given the encouragement I've received since I began playing ukulele.

Top Bottom