PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer Containers

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
The nitro lacquer I am now using is available to me only in 5 gallon metal cans. No poring spout, just a plug. If anyone has ever dealt with these containers you know that you immediately lose a gallon on your shop floor! So I've broken it down into 2 1/2 gallon plastic cans (bought at the paint store) for convenience sake but now I wonder if the lacquer will deteriorate the plastic at some point. The guy at Sherwin Williams tells me it will at some point but was vague on how long it would take. He said it would be a long time whatever that means. I can't find unlined metal cans and glass scares me. (Lined metal cans will turn your lacquer into a mess within days.) Anyone out there with practical information on lacquer storage in plastic?

mm stan
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Aloha Chuck,
Not sure if this is pertinent, or helps..Check this site and scroll down on the applications and storage...http://www.cemart.eu/index.php?id=59&L=2

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks, but that stuff is water based. "Lacquers" can be water based, acrylic, nitro and probably peanut butter for all I know. The stuff I use is Nitro cellulose.

Steve vanPelt
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't know if they're lined or not, but.... http://www.houseofcans.com/gallon-with-p-1110-l-en.html .

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Well of course, why didn't I think of House O' Cans? :)
With shipping the costs of the cans would be more than the lacquer......

thistle3585
02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I'd leave it in the original can and buy a pump. There are a lot of them out there for less than $30. You can leave the pump on the can instead of the lid. My experience with plastic cans is that they absorb and hold moisture so the lacquer ends up becoming contaminated.

Michael Smith
02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Most paint stores have quart and gallon new empty paint cans with lids.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Most paint stores have quart and gallon new empty paint cans with lids.

Yes they do as do most home improvement stores. The problems with these metal cans is that they all seemed to be lined these days. If I could find unlined cans like we had in the old days (like last year!) I'd use those but I can't find any on the island. The lining flakes off into the lacquer leaving you with little flecks of grey junk that will be deposited on the freshly sprayed surface of a $2500 instrument only to have to be dug out and the blemishes drop filled, which presents it's own night mares! I've been through this one time before and I can't believe I made the same stupid mistake again. I filled five brand new one gallon lined paint cans a few days ago with lacquer from a five gallon can. I spent part of this morning filtering (three times) those five gallons of lacquer into new plastic paint cans from the same paint store. I just want to know if lacquer can be safely stored in plastic or will the solvents dissolve it. If they'd only put a poring spout of the five gallon can I wouldn't have to go through this. How silly of me though. That would cost them an extra nickel.
Sorry, I've been sniffing lacquer fumes all day.......

Allen
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Just a though Chuck. The solvents that we use at work come in 5 gallon metal cans with a bung in the bottom for a tap. For sure they are unlined as the solvents will eat anything plastic inside. You might go by a panel (body) shop and ask them for one of their empty cans and get a tap for it.

Kekani
02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Mayonaisse bottle, and a funnel (metal one). I know you don't like glass, but the quart sizes should do you well. I keep my "extra" in a pint sized glass, of course, this fills the minijet very well.

I wouldn't have too much confidence in the plastic.

Or, how about an old lacquer thinner can, with the opening on one corner of the top - easy to pour. Wood finish shop with extra cans?

Pete Howlett
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Not to glory in your misery Chuck but at least I'm not the only one with lacquer problems at present. A bad batch of lacquer is seeing me re-finish 6 ukulele...

Do you have lacquer containers or thinner containers with screw lids? I save mine as lacquer receptacles that I decant into - first a kitchen graduated mixing jug and then pour it in. Very little spillage but hey - what's the good of that if it is useless anyway!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
As luck would have it I cleaned out my spray room last week and brought a dozen empty cans to the dump. That's the way most things go with me.

With lacquer, even if you've been a good boy, think good thoughts, go to church when you're supposed to, pay your taxes, and are kind to animals, and if you are very. very lucky to find a lacquer that works well for you, you can guarantee that the manufacturer will discontinue the lacquer, change the formula, refuse to ship it to you or otherwise make it impossible to use. I'm convinced that instrument finishing is something you never learn but are always learning about. It's the most challenging thing I do.

olgoat52
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
I don't know what kind of plastic the buckets you got are made of but I ran across one site that indicated HDPE was no appropriate for long term exposure to lacquer thinner. There were some posts that indicated PVC might be ok. I have stored lacquer in old 1 gallon metal lacquer Thinner containers but they are impossible to clean out and after a couple of uses they need to be tossed.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't know what kind of plastic the buckets you got are made of but I ran across one site that indicated HDPE was no appropriate for long term exposure to lacquer thinner. There were some posts that indicated PVC might be ok. I have stored lacquer in old 1 gallon metal lacquer Thinner containers but they are impossible to clean out and after a couple of uses they need to be tossed.

That's the answer I'm looking for. They are HDPE. I'll dump 'em. Thanks to you and everyone else who have contributed.

Flyfish57
02-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Back when I used to spray cars in enamal, our reducer came in five gallon cans. We had a craddle that we could tilt with one hand to pour. Maybe you can make something up like that.

Like this http://morsedrum.com/products/can-tippers.htm

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Back when I used to spray cars in enamal, our reducer came in five gallon cans. We had a craddle that we could tilt with one hand to pour. Maybe you can make something up like that.

Like this http://morsedrum.com/products/can-tippers.htm

That's exactly what I need. I'll build one this weekend. Thanks!

olgoat52
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
That's the answer I'm looking for. They are HDPE. I'll dump 'em. Thanks to you and everyone else who have contributed.

http://www.mendapump.com/PDF/ChemicalResistanceChart.pdf