Eight stringed ukuleles?

UkuleleLee

Reaction score
Does anyone who owns one know if it's worth it buy one? I've always been interested.

I got one, though it's not a conventional 'uke'. It's a stratocaster style steel stringed electric uke with 8-strings.

I love it! It's a great variation to have in the collection - such richness of tone. The playability does not get much difficult from a 4-string. It's very easy to adjust.

But most of all, bragging rights over 6-stringed guitar players. Ha take that! There's a uke with more strings than a guitar ROFL
(unless someone comes at you with a 12-string guitar)

Thank you all. I tried searching the topics for eight string ukuleles but for some reason the eight would never appear in the search.

Thank you all. I tried searching the topics for eight string ukuleles but for some reason the eight would never appear in the search.

I prefer the 6 string to the 8 string. Have you ever played one?
There is a lanikai 8 stringer on FMM for $125. I thought about getting it b/c the price is pretty sweet but it isn't the spruce toped one. I did like my 8 stringer but I had to give up two of my favorite ukes to get it so that might have been my dislike reasoning, but it wasn't really dislike.

I got a Lanikai 8 string about a year ago or more and
its fabulous.The ringing/jangling sound is familiar to me
as an ex 12 string guitarist! It won't work on all of your
favourites,pretty much like a banjo-uke,but when you
figure out what DOES work with it,its magical!

I've got a Lanikai O8-E and I love it! As has been said, doesn't work for every kind of music but works great for some.

I really liked my Lanikai 8, but at the time I had a plethora of instruments that weren't getting enough play, so I sold it. It's a bit like as 12-string guitar for guitarists: you either play it a lot or it collects dust. The dual strings require some adjustments to your playing style, but it's a nice instrument and a dynamite backup instrument for a group gig. When I played with a friend who had a four-string, I was reminded a bit of Vince Martin and Fred Neil: 12 and 6 string guitars in tandem. Can be very nice. But for solo play, I found I ended up strumming more than picking.

I own two 8 stingers--a lanikai, and a Kamaka. If you are a strummer, as am I. I would highly recommend an 8 string. For a fat, full sound for me there is no other way!

I have a Martin Taropatch which has all 4 strings doubled - an 8 string ukulele. Check out ackeim on you tube playing Railroad Bill on a Taropatch. Sorry, don't know how to post the link.

Might as well post a picture of my unconventional 8-string as well :D
Lovin' it, though I love my 4-string electrics just as much;

(Far left)
P311210_132302.jpg

Search for "Taropatch" for more info on an 8 string uke

If you're a strummer definitely get one,it'll give you much more range.I recently got a Kala 8 string and I'm lovin' it!I struggled with a lot of songs,especially Scottish and rock,but the fuller sound makes it so much easier to work out strumming patterns etc.

Top Bottom