I think I'm in love...

philpot

Reaction score
With a set of Fremont Blacklines!!! I FOUND A SET THAT I LOVE! Finally! They sound amazing, everything I loved about the Martins without the fret buzz! They are AMAZING! they really make little Kolohe sing :) intonation is great, and i think he sounds as good as he's ever going to :D I SO HAPPEH!!!

What exactly do you like about them? Lol sorry, I'd just like to know more details.

What exactly do you like about them? Lol sorry, I'd just like to know more details.

I like the thinness for one thing. The black strings themselves are pretty dang sexy. They really sing, there soooo much more depth of tone then with the Aquilas the uke came with, more volume and better intonation. Overall, everything is great.

Oh, and thanks to Uke Republic for sending them super fast, and with (almost) free shipping to boot!

*edit* not quite free, I got my orders confused xD however the shipping was only like 78 cents, much cheaper then the 6 bucks I had to pay last time I ordered strings. I know where I'm ordering from now :D

Last edited:
I like the tone and the feel of the strings. They sound great - lovely and musical with plenty of oomph - on all the ukes I've tried them on. I especially like the kow G Fremont since it's one of the few non-wound low G strings that has a nice tone up and down the fretboard. The Worth Clear Mediums are a close second but the low G on the WCM sounds dull compared to the Fremont.

Did you get the mediums, or the hard tension? I recently became a convert to the Fremont Blackline hards over Aquilas. I still *like* the Aquilas and keep them on one of my ukes, but I *love* the Fremonts.

Did you get the mediums, or the hard tension? I recently became a convert to the Fremont Blackline hards over Aquilas. I still *like* the Aquilas and keep them on one of my ukes, but I *love* the Fremonts.

I have the mediums. I think there are Fremont Hards on my Boat Paddle though and I love them! The extra stiffness makes it very easy to fingerpick.

I got mediums, but considering I think these will be the only type of strings I'll order again ( for now), I'll go ahead and order the hards when I wear these out ^.^I'm glad I found a set I love. If you dont know what happened, first I wore out the Aquilas that came with it from 4+ hours a day of playing, then the replacement Martins buzzed like nobody's business, and while I loved the tone I couldn't handle the buzz. So on went some black diamonds. Too soft sounding, hardly any volume, flat tone and horrible intonation on the C string. Never using those again. Now, I have a favorite :D

Have you tried Worth browns? If so, how do they compare?

I'd say the hard tension Fremont black lines are quite similar to Worth BMs in tone. I think they have a little more tension though.

I like Aquilas on cheap ukes, banjo ukes, things where you want a loud and brash sound. But on better quality instruments I almost always prefer fluorocarbon strings.

Love the Fremont blacklines! Have the medium tension on my Kamaka concert and the hard tension on my Kamaka soprano. Will switch over to hard tension on my Kamaka concert next time. May add the low G too.

Anyone use Fremont blacklines on their KoAloha?

I would look at trying out some Worth Browns. I find them quite similar to the Fremont blacklines. But, where the Fremonts start to sound a little dead up past the tenth fret, the worth Browns continue to sing.

In general, the worths seem a little more balanced (they are a little bit more mellow in the low range and a little brighter up high) though the fremonts seem to have a slightly higher tension.

Another choice in the fluorocarbon range along with the Freemonts, Worths are Orcas. Orcas are another Japanese made string thats really been made fully available here in 2010. Its also what aNuiNui is putting on some of their ukuleles.
As always it's fun to try out a variety of strings , it's sometimes like getting a new ukulele for under $10.00 .

Another choice in the fluorocarbon range along with the Freemonts, Worths are Orcas. Orcas are another Japanese made string thats really been made fully available here in 2010. Its also what aNuiNui is putting on some of their ukuleles.
As always it's fun to try out a variety of strings , it's sometimes like getting a new ukulele for under $10.00 .

I tried the Orca's and really liked the feel. They were however just not quite right on my Mya-Moe Reso. Hard to describe, but just a little thunky sounding.
I moved them over to my Fluke and all I can say is WOW!!.
I guess you just need to keep experimenting until you find the fit.
I really like the Blacklines too, I had them on the reso, but now trying Worth Browns in an effort to tone it down a bit.

I would look at trying out some Worth Browns. I find them quite similar to the Fremont blacklines. But, where the Fremonts start to sound a little dead up past the tenth fret, the worth Browns continue to sing.

In general, the worths seem a little more balanced (they are a little bit more mellow in the low range and a little brighter up high) though the fremonts seem to have a slightly higher tension.

That's EXACTLY how I would describe the difference between the two from my own experience.

Also the previous poster's preference for the Fremont low G over the Worth, I agree. Better tension, at least on my long scale concert. On my tenors I like the Worth Clears for low 4th G.

A day in, and heres my thoughts. The intonation on the C string that was CRAP with the Black Diamonds (~25 cents off) is now spot on accurate. I didn't know Kolohe could sound this good. He sounds like he cost a lot more then he did, thats for sure ;) the black look is super sexy, I'm loving it more every time I look at it. Something big I noticed is a wider range of expression. Any of you all who play piano know that a good part of what separates a good player from a great player is their ability to control dynamics, the difference between soft and loud. Anyone can play notes, but putting the extra level of expression into those notes... that takes something special. Well, I notice a greater ability to control "dynamics" on my uke now, I can get soft tones out of it and I can get a harder plucky sound too, depending on how I play. Its something I couldn't get out of the Aquilas, definitely not the BD's, and I didn't have the Martins on long enough to tell. But I love it. I think I'm going to stick with these for awhile so I don't have to do any more 2 week trial and errors xD

I've recently developed a buzz on my Fender. Do you think these might help? I'm not sure what gauge my current strings are.

I've recently developed a buzz on my Fender. Do you think these might help? I'm not sure what gauge my current strings are.

I cant say whether or not they would help necessarily... I just know mine didn't have a buzz till I put the Martin fluorocarbons on and both the Black Diamonds and the Blacklines pretty much solved the problem. Hey, its under 10 bucks, what would it hurt to try? :p

Top Bottom