Decorating Your Uke?

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
Has any one ever attached a material to the body of your uke to spruce it up? I am not talking a rine stone cowboy thing but was thinking about abalone shells out lining the figure of the body maybe. If done what did you use and did you have any regrets.

Last year I added a strap to my ukulele for the first time. No regrets. In fact it looks rather elegant. Black leather Uke Leash with end-pin attachment.

I can't think of a single reason for adding anything else. Sorry if I seem a bit of a kill-joy, but I always thought of a uke as a musical instrument, not an ornament.

I'm actually thinking of decorating my cheap Mahalo once I get a concert. It's green so I want to turn it into Franken-uke. I'm going to make up some stencils to spraypaint a face on the back of it and get some tuning machines to use as the electrodes which I'll mount on the neck than get some 'fun fur' and use that for hair.
Should be fun.

This is as close as I've come. I did restore a Vintage Tenor Guitar for my wife and put an abalone shell in the headstock...

Headstock.jpg

Neck.jpg

Body.jpg

Looks nice, doesn't it? Wish I could say that I had the same skills as a ukulele builder as I do a player and collector. These are basically fretboard and headstock decals courtesy of:

http://www.inlaysticker.com/

The products are nice but I wouldn't put the fretboard decals on anything that I play too often. This Pono Tenor is more "looker" than "player."

Mike

I've added uke bling to the ukes I'm in love and even in like with. I've got Native American bling on the Mainland and Kanile'a. It has lots of personal meaning to me. I'm Choctaw on Grandma's (mom's mom) side. My mom has been trying with every spare moment she has, ever since I can remember, to get me enrolled in the Choctaw Nation. We've always had the geneology stuff, the Census info, which isn't even correct but it's what you have to use, but now you have to have a tombstone, and that's tough because there's conflicting information on the year great-great grandma died. That's what keeps me from joining the rest of my family on the Choctaw side. My uncle was on the tribal council when I was little for heaven sakes.

Anyway, Grandma passed away when I was 3, so she's at the edge of memory. I remember her being able to reason with me when no one else could. I was at the picky eater stage. She made me some oatmeal that was flavored with apple and cinnamon. I balked. I remember us sitting at the table, and she asked what's the worst thing that could happen if I tried it? I said, with pure 3 year old logic, that it could taste bad and I'd hate it. She said, so what? Then I'd know. That's not the end of the world. It's ok if I don't like it. She was so easy going when everyone else made such a big deal of it, I dug in. I don't remember if I liked it, but I probably just liked how she was so different from everyone else in the family.

She was into turquoise and native bling in general. And somehow it happened that I am too. Mom commented not so long ago that I took after Grandma in that way, and who knows how that happened. But I think it's cool. I don't question it anymore. :)

So, gotta be some meaningful bling for the headstocks! ... except for the Flea, which just has something fun on it. :) The only uke whose body I want to decorate is the Flea. I'd love for a tattoo artist to make a flash sheet of that body.

I'd post pics, but Flickr is down. The link is in my sig, when it comes back online.

this is a really interesting topic. im thinking about decorating my ukulele so that its unique. i just dont know how to go about doing this. another things is that i'm scared to do anything to my ukulele after spending the amount of money that i did. I'm only a college student, and messing up could have some serious consequences!

I would never bling out an expensive uke but would a very cheap one. Definitely!

Check this out- I so love this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt7vj0QV7hQ

And there was a thread about a bling your uke contest or something like that. Maybe you can use the search function.

On my Kepasa Gypsy Rose I applied a rose inlay sticker to the headstock since it is otherwise very plain and the sticker works so well for this uke:
DSC_8055.jpg

I also hang a jade rabbit from the headstock of my William King concert. I don't have a picture of it but it's visible in some of the videos I've posted on Youtube such as this one.

That's about it as far as applying stuff to my ukes.

Edible ukulele, what a novel idea!

I've tried dings and scratches on my uke.

Great way to customize, but how do you pick the size and color? Or is it just a Zen/Eightfold Path thing, where you get reincarnated as a luthier when you die, and fix damaged ukes?

(off on a tangent- my mind just slipped into Comic Book Mode, with Ukerman, and his Arch-top nemesis, Lex Luthier!)

Sorry about that - now back to our regularlry scheduled Uke Bling.

-Kurt

(And the abalone inlay on my Kala is more than enough bling for me!)

I like to think that my uke is every bit as battered by life as I am.
I like Ukerman and Lex Luthier thing. Ideas for stories and a whole new thread??

I got a Chinese ornamental ribbon/tussle. Actually, a red pepper for my low-G Pono, and a pineapple for my Kamaka. You can get them easily from a Chinese grocery or souvenir shop. $2 - $3.

P1050853.jpg

P1050850.jpg

P1050849.jpg

Cheers
Chief

Wowser- Since I live in Korea I should get a strand of gochu peppers or something Korean. Very cool Chilis!

I have cheap but glossy tassels from the fabric store on two and a hand carved dragon bead hanging off of my custom. I think the decorations should be soft. I just put gecko decals on my Kanile'a tenor, and a tiny honu on the headstock. My vintage Kamaka soprano pineapples has other tiny honu fret marker inlay decals, as it has no actual inlay.

Top Bottom