Lanikai LFM Spruce top Flamed Maple Ukes

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anyone got their hands on one yet? If so, which size? Gonna do a review? sound clip? Looking for a poor mans version of the flying owl Bluegrass Uke.

I have LFM-t tenor; all I can say I really like it, very bright sound, really pretty good looking, comfortable neck...

You're not alone - I loved that Flying Owl, but to buy a maple uke from Bluegrass means giving Her Majesty's Customs & Excise 20% of the value, and seeing as it'll cost £520 to have it sent, that's another £100 on top in tax. Ouch.

You're not alone - I loved that Flying Owl, but to buy a maple uke from Bluegrass means giving Her Majesty's Customs & Excise 20% of the value, and seeing as it'll cost £520 to have it sent, that's another £100 on top in tax. Ouch.

Hey, someones's got to pay for that wedding! :)

I have an LFM-S. Built like a tank, sounds quite good, and beautiful to look at. In terms of quality construction (esp. the fretwork), it is notably nicer than either of the Ohanas I own.

I have the tenor, I really like it too. Try it with fluorocarbon strings. Although I did have to go over the whole fretboard and half of the frets too with some extra-fine sandpaper.

I have owned the Lanikai LFM-T for three years now (July 2016) and I love it. It almost plays itself it is so easy on the fingers. Great sound - great feel - great price! If you don't have one of these in your collection you are missing out! I have about ten ukes but I play mostly my Lanikai and a KoAloha tenor. (I play only tenors). I have changed from Aquila strings to Worth strings because with Worth strings, they are so long that you get two sets for the price of one - and that is economy! They are really WORTH it! Ho, ho!
Anyway, for what it is WORTH!!!!
Jay

Forgot about this post. I have since acquired an Asmus concert with a solid flame maple body and solid spruce top. I had never seen this model when Asmus was active. I was really shocked when I discovered the body was solid. It's gorgeous and approaches those Bluegrass ukes in tone. I can see no flaws and the tone is sparkly, rich, and "LOUD" with amazing projection and resonance. I snagged it from ebay for $65. Not sure I can get a better sounding maple uke. Perhaps my best uke bargain. (unless it was my pristine $199 Kamaka white label)

Last edited:
Top Bottom