Live Music on Oahu & Kauai???

Oahu music

Chai's Island Bistro is fantastic; a less expensive venue is the Outrigger grill in Waikiki.

Some Oahu reco's from my recent travels: Seconding Chai's and the Outrigger Reef (Kani Kapila Grill). Taimane Gardner sometimes plays at the Hyatt Regency. Honey's at the Ko'olau Golf Course has music on Fridays and Saturdays. Wards Rafters, call for schedule. And if you like Django-type music, check out the Hot Club of Hulaville at Che Pasta.

I think Ohta-San is mostly retired. His son, Herb Ohta Jr., was playing at Hy's Steak House regularly. I don't see it on his calendar now, but it might be worth a check.

I think Aldrine and Rayan play Wednesdays at the Waipouli Beach Resort in Kauai.

I emailed rayan a little while back and he said

Aldrine plays at Oasis with Aaron every Wednesday at 5:00pm for their happy hour. I "semi-retired" from performing haha. Its in the hotel across from Safeway in Kapaa.

Not sure if it is the same hotel but they are still playing.

I was shocked and thrilled to see Troy Fernandez playing on the sidewalk at Kalakaua and Sunrise, in front of the newspaper dispensers. He was selling his CDs and when I bought his "Hawaiian Style" CD he threw in a" Ukulele Christmas" for free.This was on a Wednesday night in mid-December. I hear he is mostly there on weekend nights. No cover charge either!

I was shocked and thrilled to see Troy Fernandez playing on the sidewalk at Kalakaua and Sunrise, in front of the newspaper dispensers. He was selling his CDs and when I bought his "Hawaiian Style" CD he threw in a" Ukulele Christmas" for free.This was on a Wednesday night in mid-December. I hear he is mostly there on weekend nights. No cover charge either!

He was there on... I think it might have been Thursday? A couple weeks ago.

I fogot the name of a publication that comes out on Wednesdays. It lists restaurants and local entertainment on Oahu. Kauai probably has something similar, Check the airport and hotels for free publications.

Another thumbs up for Chai's in HNL. One of my favorite settings to hear Hawaiian music is the House Without A Key at the Halekulani in Waikiki. I love Pa'ahana who play there on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. They also have Hawaiian bands at the Tapa Bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village most nights.

Another thumbs up for Chai's in HNL. One of my favorite settings to hear Hawaiian music is the House Without A Key at the Halekulani in Waikiki. I love Pa'ahana who play there on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. They also have Hawaiian bands at the Tapa Bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village most nights.

House Without a Key is one of my favorites. The nights when Pa'ahana isn't playing, it's the Sunset Serenaders, who are also excellent.

If you happen to be in the Princeville area, check out the happy talk lounge at hanalei bay resort. Low key, but they have live music.

I fogot the name of a publication that comes out on Wednesdays. It lists restaurants and local entertainment on Oahu. Kauai probably has something similar, Check the airport and hotels for free publications.

I think Midweek. A good source for things going on.

I gotta put a plug in for Ramon Camarillo at Nico's Pier 38, Friday during lunch, 11-2. While its his gig, whomever shows up, shows up and play, sort of a pro Kanikapila. Week before last Eddie Kamae and his wife were there (he didn't play, just enjoyed the music), along with George Kuo (whom I've seen more than a few times recently). Lei Kaapana (Led's sister) is there regularly, and Led shows up every now and then. Derek Mau and core members of Ke Kani Nahe are also there regularly. Of course, a whole bunch of local (and mainland) entertainers come in and out.

Top Bottom