Goth model Ukulele?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ok... If you guys that are also into guitars, there are several models out there that have a "Goth" model. No, I'm not into Goth, but I love those themed guitars because they are generally a flat black finish, subtle "blacked out" look and appeal. They are really cool looking guitars. My daughter and myself have a Goth model Les Paul and we both love them.

I have a couple ukes that are in the pipeline that need a refurb. I am going to be wrapping up my Gibson project in a week or so, and swiveling my head around looking for my next project. I was looking at one of these Uke projects waiting for the light to come on as far as the direction I will go with it. I glanced over to the corner and saw my daughter's Goth Les Paul, and the light came on. A GOTH ukulele. All flat black finish, with maybe some blood red pin striping and details.. Hmmm... What do ya think?

Aloha Tudorp,
I seen gloss black, never a flat finish...hmmm well lets see one...let us know how it turns out and post pictures..MM Stan

I think that sounds cool. I've been thinking a gloss black uke with the same decorative touches as a Martin Style 3 would be cool... That might be my SECOND custom after the one I'm thinking of first.

I think that sounds cool. I've been thinking a gloss black uke with the same decorative touches as a Martin Style 3 would be cool... That might be my SECOND custom after the one I'm thinking of first.

Chris,
Have you seen Ohta-San's black style 3? Hmmmm! Now I know you just got a nice Kiwaya, and you're thinking of a custom or two...how am I ever going to keep up with you? I like the style 3 best, myself-most compelling design for a uke (IMHO)...the style 3 Martin and the simple, but I think very elegant, Kamaka concert with the Gumby headstock. What's the first custom you're thinking of?

Well, I like the Style 3, and I'm a tortoiseshell junky. Almost all my bass guitars have tortoise pick guards... to the point where some of my former band members would say things like "Hey, nice new car, but couldn't you get it with a tortoiseshell pick guard?".
So.... my idea (which I've contacted a maker about and he was enthusiastic about the concept, which seemed like a good sign) is a Style 3 type soprano with light-finished koa, and TORTOISE in place of all the white stuff... tortoise binding, tortoise "Doo-dad" at the body end, even (if it works) tortoise position markers and stripes on the (probably) ebony fingerboard. I'm almost thinking that to be cooler looking, the ornamentation might need to be scaled up a teensy bit... at least the "doo-dad" and the stripes.
The second idea would be something like this: http://kepasaukulele.com/models-pics/joso1.jpg, but without the shape inlaid into the white bit.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Tudorp!

You know what would look totally amazing in that style? A KoAloha sceptre. not gonna lie, it looks like a uke Sauron would play. If only they weren't so dang expensive I would totally dig a flat black one, no joke.

You know what would look totally amazing in that style? A KoAloha sceptre. not gonna lie, it looks like a uke Sauron would play. If only they weren't so dang expensive I would totally dig a flat black one, no joke.

You're absolutely right!

My Reno has a flat black finish. Only letdown is the gold painted details. I've been thinking of doing it all black. With shiny black fretboard markers a black nut and saddle. Maybe some white skulls instead of black dots for markers.

No worries about the high jack. It's all about sparking conversation with me no matter the direction it goes.. It's all good.

I glanced over to the corner and saw my daughter's Goth Les Paul, and the light came on. A GOTH ukulele. All flat black finish, with maybe some blood red pin striping and details.. Hmmm... What do ya think?

A flat black with blood red pinstripe binding and glossy diagonal red stripes across the lower bout (think of claw slashes...) popped into my head while reading your description... especially if the fret markers are MOP or abalone...

On the other hand, that might be a little too teen movie vampire angst-ish...

-Kurt

The pinstriping sounds totally badass.

If you are going to refinish the ukes in black, there is a traditional finish called "Black Japan" or "Japan Black" which is a black with a warm red glow, and the colour is controlled by how many thin coats you do. It also sets hard and has been used on soft woods to make the finish a bit harder. When it is set, it will take oil paint (like artists use) for details. It is not as quick as using an acrylic paint, but it gives a finish that is very hard to copy in acrylic paint.
If you are going to take all the finish off the headstocks, you could glue on some extra bits, maybe use a thin dowel to add some strength, and do make a goth shape on the head stock.
If you have time, it may not be too hard to make some tuner knobs that have a goth feel.
Then there is the goth strap, and a goth felt pick, and a goth carry bag or box (use 3mm cardboard).
The project could keep you and your daughter happy for weeks.

That actually sounds cool, but for these uke projects I am not really going for the high quality custom thing like I am on the high end Les Paul I am doing at present. But I try to aquire broken or student ukes that are pretty much not wanted. I buy if I can get a good deal, or take donations of ukes from people upgrading etc. I take them fix them up, lower action, or just do what I can to make them a better player, and end up giving them to kids and teens around here that show interests in learning to play the uke. Some of the plain looking ones, I will take them and give them cool paint jobs to make them appeal to the younger crowd so they can see the "cool" in owning and playing a uke. It develops into a love for the uke from there. But, sometimes I like to get them that "spark" that a kid would think is "really cool". One I did "Skye" was a baby blue, with rolling clouds and just looked like the Sky. So, I named it Skye, and the kids LOVED it. A local girl fell in love with it, and has been playing since. This one, as a Goth will give it that "edge" that will appeal to a kid that likes his heavy metal music and he can play it and still feel like he is a rocker, lol.. That's pretty much what I am going for on this one. I have a kid targeted for it with this paint theme..

Top Bottom