PDA

View Full Version : Goth model Ukulele?

Tudorp
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Ok... If you guys that are also into guitars, there are several models out there that have a "Goth" model. No, I'm not into Goth, but I love those themed guitars because they are generally a flat black finish, subtle "blacked out" look and appeal. They are really cool looking guitars. My daughter and myself have a Goth model Les Paul and we both love them.

I have a couple ukes that are in the pipeline that need a refurb. I am going to be wrapping up my Gibson project in a week or so, and swiveling my head around looking for my next project. I was looking at one of these Uke projects waiting for the light to come on as far as the direction I will go with it. I glanced over to the corner and saw my daughter's Goth Les Paul, and the light came on. A GOTH ukulele. All flat black finish, with maybe some blood red pin striping and details.. Hmmm... What do ya think?

mybote
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
mmmmmm. yea ....do it.

mm stan
02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Aloha Tudorp,
I seen gloss black, never a flat finish...hmmm well lets see one...let us know how it turns out and post pictures..MM Stan

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 02:39 PM
I think that sounds cool. I've been thinking a gloss black uke with the same decorative touches as a Martin Style 3 would be cool... That might be my SECOND custom after the one I'm thinking of first.

hmgberg
02-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I think that sounds cool. I've been thinking a gloss black uke with the same decorative touches as a Martin Style 3 would be cool... That might be my SECOND custom after the one I'm thinking of first.

Chris,
Have you seen Ohta-San's black style 3? Hmmmm! Now I know you just got a nice Kiwaya, and you're thinking of a custom or two...how am I ever going to keep up with you? I like the style 3 best, myself-most compelling design for a uke (IMHO)...the style 3 Martin and the simple, but I think very elegant, Kamaka concert with the Gumby headstock. What's the first custom you're thinking of?

hmgberg
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Sorry, Chris. Here's the link I intended to post previously.

http://puapua-ukulolo.blogspot.com/2009/07/ohta-sans-black-martin-3m-standard.html

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, I like the Style 3, and I'm a tortoiseshell junky. Almost all my bass guitars have tortoise pick guards... to the point where some of my former band members would say things like "Hey, nice new car, but couldn't you get it with a tortoiseshell pick guard?".
So.... my idea (which I've contacted a maker about and he was enthusiastic about the concept, which seemed like a good sign) is a Style 3 type soprano with light-finished koa, and TORTOISE in place of all the white stuff... tortoise binding, tortoise "Doo-dad" at the body end, even (if it works) tortoise position markers and stripes on the (probably) ebony fingerboard. I'm almost thinking that to be cooler looking, the ornamentation might need to be scaled up a teensy bit... at least the "doo-dad" and the stripes.
The second idea would be something like this: http://kepasaukulele.com/models-pics/joso1.jpg, but without the shape inlaid into the white bit.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Tudorp!

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 03:49 PM

http://puapua-ukulolo.blogspot.com/2009/07/ohta-sans-black-martin-3m-standard.html

That's a seriously beat-up Martin. It looks like the black paint and pick guard are the only things holding it together!

philpot
02-25-2011, 03:53 PM
You know what would look totally amazing in that style? A KoAloha sceptre. not gonna lie, it looks like a uke Sauron would play. If only they weren't so dang expensive I would totally dig a flat black one, no joke.

Chris Tarman
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
You know what would look totally amazing in that style? A KoAloha sceptre. not gonna lie, it looks like a uke Sauron would play. If only they weren't so dang expensive I would totally dig a flat black one, no joke.

You're absolutely right!

philpot
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
You're absolutely right!

Someday... when I have a little disposable cash... hehe :P

tjomball
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
My Reno has a flat black finish. Only letdown is the gold painted details. I've been thinking of doing it all black. With shiny black fretboard markers a black nut and saddle. Maybe some white skulls instead of black dots for markers.

darkwater
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Here's some inspiration from Neil Gaiman.

http://boingboing.net/2010/07/19/neil-gaimans-cthulkh.html

philpot
02-25-2011, 05:19 PM

To quote one of the comments, "Tiptoe Through the Tulips... ON THE PATH TO MADNESS!!" xD shoot, one COULD simply walk into Mordor with that thing strapped to your belt.

tjomball
02-26-2011, 03:42 AM

Mahalo bro..
Thats one sweet wallhanger..

NotsoGoodyet
02-26-2011, 05:58 AM
The lava flea or fluke?

Tudorp
02-26-2011, 06:34 AM
No worries about the high jack. It's all about sparking conversation with me no matter the direction it goes.. It's all good.

ksiegel
02-26-2011, 07:27 AM
I glanced over to the corner and saw my daughter's Goth Les Paul, and the light came on. A GOTH ukulele. All flat black finish, with maybe some blood red pin striping and details.. Hmmm... What do ya think?

A flat black with blood red pinstripe binding and glossy diagonal red stripes across the lower bout (think of claw slashes...) popped into my head while reading your description... especially if the fret markers are MOP or abalone...

On the other hand, that might be a little too teen movie vampire angst-ish...

-Kurt

redheadedali
02-26-2011, 01:02 PM
The pinstriping sounds totally badass.

Tudorp
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
If you are going to refinish the ukes in black, there is a traditional finish called "Black Japan" or "Japan Black" which is a black with a warm red glow, and the colour is controlled by how many thin coats you do. It also sets hard and has been used on soft woods to make the finish a bit harder. When it is set, it will take oil paint (like artists use) for details. It is not as quick as using an acrylic paint, but it gives a finish that is very hard to copy in acrylic paint.
If you are going to take all the finish off the headstocks, you could glue on some extra bits, maybe use a thin dowel to add some strength, and do make a goth shape on the head stock.
If you have time, it may not be too hard to make some tuner knobs that have a goth feel.
Then there is the goth strap, and a goth felt pick, and a goth carry bag or box (use 3mm cardboard).
The project could keep you and your daughter happy for weeks.

That actually sounds cool, but for these uke projects I am not really going for the high quality custom thing like I am on the high end Les Paul I am doing at present. But I try to aquire broken or student ukes that are pretty much not wanted. I buy if I can get a good deal, or take donations of ukes from people upgrading etc. I take them fix them up, lower action, or just do what I can to make them a better player, and end up giving them to kids and teens around here that show interests in learning to play the uke. Some of the plain looking ones, I will take them and give them cool paint jobs to make them appeal to the younger crowd so they can see the "cool" in owning and playing a uke. It develops into a love for the uke from there. But, sometimes I like to get them that "spark" that a kid would think is "really cool". One I did "Skye" was a baby blue, with rolling clouds and just looked like the Sky. So, I named it Skye, and the kids LOVED it. A local girl fell in love with it, and has been playing since. This one, as a Goth will give it that "edge" that will appeal to a kid that likes his heavy metal music and he can play it and still feel like he is a rocker, lol.. That's pretty much what I am going for on this one. I have a kid targeted for it with this paint theme..

philpot
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
That actually sounds cool, but for these uke projects I am not really going for the high quality custom thing like I am on the high end Les Paul I am doing at present. But I try to aquire broken or student ukes that are pretty much not wanted. I buy if I can get a good deal, or take donations of ukes from people upgrading etc. I take them fix them up, lower action, or just do what I can to make them a better player, and end up giving them to kids and teens around here that show interests in learning to play the uke. Some of the plain looking ones, I will take them and give them cool paint jobs to make them appeal to the younger crowd so they can see the "cool" in owning and playing a uke. It develops into a love for the uke from there. But, sometimes I like to get them that "spark" that a kid would think is "really cool". One I did "Skye" was a baby blue, with rolling clouds and just looked like the Sky. So, I named it Skye, and the kids LOVED it. A local girl fell in love with it, and has been playing since. This one, as a Goth will give it that "edge" that will appeal to a kid that likes his heavy metal music and he can play it and still feel like he is a rocker, lol.. That's pretty much what I am going for on this one. I have a kid targeted for it with this paint theme..

thats a real cool idea, and it seems like you could do it pretty easily. My thoughts would be just use some flat black spray paint (the kind the hipsters use on their "tricked out" Honda Civics ;) ) to give it a once over, and do the details with a crimson model paint. I can see it looking good with a ring around the soundhole, and the frets being outlined with red... just a thought :D its actually something I might try to do if I can find a uke cheap enough...

OldePhart
02-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Hmmm, goth uke. Let me think a second...nope, I'd look absolutely ridiculous in white pancake and black lipstick! LOL

John

Tudorp
02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Hmmm, goth uke. Let me think a second...nope, I'd look absolutely ridiculous in white pancake and black lipstick! LOL

John

Well, phart. All I have to go on is your profile photo, and going with that with white pancake and red lips, yeah, I got to agree with ya. But it sure would turn kids away from it if they pictured themselves in 40 years as a Goth or Emo kid, lol.. Might be a good message for them.. hahhah

OldePhart
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, phart. All I have to go on is your profile photo, and going with that with white pancake and red lips, yeah, I got to agree with ya. But it sure would turn kids away from it if they pictured themselves in 40 years as a Goth or Emo kid, lol.. Might be a good message for them.. hahhah

BWAAA-HAAA. Actually, that's not a photo of me. I just find interesting/funny pics of old men on the internet and use them for avatars. I should be so handsome... LOL

Several years ago my son and I went into a Subway for lunch. The gal behind the counter was goth to the nines (she looked like death warmed over without the warmed over part). It was not October. I told my son, perhaps a little loudly, that I'd just lost my appetite and we'd go elsewhere for lunch. That started a small stampede as several people in line in front of us who apparently felt the same but hadn't the guts to say anything followed us out. The manager was working the register at the time and, while I have no idea whether the little gal got fired or simply told to dress more appropriately for work, I never saw anyone working there looking like death again.

I'm all for self-expression - but in the workplace there are standards, ya know - especially if you're serving people food, for crying out loud!

John

khrome
02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I've always associated red and black stripes with punks, not goths. Goths are more about lace, satin, leather, pleather, and especially velvet. The only time I saw red and black become popular is with the Emily Strange brand and mainstream stores like Hot Topic. So it's more commercial-goth. Not that that is bad, if that is the look you are going for. If it is the look, bold stripes will get the look across more than pinstripes. You can also add metal studs somewhere.

And I agree the Sceptre is a very gothy uke. Reminds me of bats.

itsme
02-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Goths know how ridiculous they look to many of us. I was at our local Hispanic-oriented supermarket recently and there was this Goth chick who stuck out like a sore thumb... pasty white skin, jet black hair, all black clothing, black lipstick, and carrying a purse designed to look like a coffin. :p

philpot
02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Goths know how ridiculous they look to many of us. I was at our local Hispanic-oriented supermarket recently and there was this Goth chick who stuck out like a sore thumb... pasty white skin, jet black hair, all black clothing, black lipstick, and carrying a purse designed to look like a coffin. :p

They know, and they relish it. I'm pretty sure the idea is to be as different from the general public as possible.

Tudorp
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Well. to be honest I had already suspected that was the case with your profile pics, but trying to stay PC I had to walk lightly until I knew for sure, hahhah..Kinda the same thing as when I asked a gal at the office when I was working when her baby was due, only for her to inform me she wasn't pregnant.. AWKWARD... lol.. But, that said, the gent in your pic is a hansdome lad.

I had a similar thing as I think we two are too much alike. I was in a line at a 7/11 and this kid in front of me with chains all over himself, and one in a nose ring from his nose, stretched accross his face to a ring in his ear. He was giving the clerk a hard time and she was trying to be PC and ask him to leave, and he refused, and continued to be a jerk. I just leaned around him and spoke in a calm voice to the clerk and suggested she take her index finger and hook in in that chain on his face and he will surly follow her where ever she wanted him to go. He very quickly wrapped it up and took off out of the store, lol..

BWAAA-HAAA. Actually, that's not a photo of me. I just find interesting/funny pics of old men on the internet and use them for avatars. I should be so handsome... LOL

Several years ago my son and I went into a Subway for lunch. The gal behind the counter was goth to the nines (she looked like death warmed over without the warmed over part). It was not October. I told my son, perhaps a little loudly, that I'd just lost my appetite and we'd go elsewhere for lunch. That started a small stampede as several people in line in front of us who apparently felt the same but hadn't the guts to say anything followed us out. The manager was working the register at the time and, while I have no idea whether the little gal got fired or simply told to dress more appropriately for work, I never saw anyone working there looking like death again.

I'm all for self-expression - but in the workplace there are standards, ya know - especially if you're serving people food, for crying out loud!

John

Tudorp
02-26-2011, 03:12 PM

It was funny this past halloween, my 13 year old daughter wanted to dress up like a Goth. I told her sure, so she did. We went around town on errands during the day on halloween and she was trying out her "look". She was shocked at how people reacted to her until they realized it was a halloween costume, and not her "look". The funny thing about it is that Goth is SO out of charictor for her. She is and has always been very bubbly, upbeat and very sociable. And when she was walking around the house dressed goth, and I was trying to explain to her that she doesn't fit it with a huge smile on her face. I had to tell her that with that, she has to look all gloomy, depressed and scower. She tried and tried, but just couldnt pull it off. I was taking pictures of her in her outfit, and she could not keep a straight face to save her own life. So, all the pictures I have of her in her Goth outfit, she has this goofy grin on her face as she was trying her damnist to maintain the image. It was really funny. A sociable, happy Goth.. lol

khrome
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm surprised at all these stereotypical comments about goths. Goths are like everyone else, personality-wise - they are not perpetually gloomy. Most are intelligent and open minded and accepting of other people and cultures, even if other people are not accepting of them. They have great senses of humor and they are one of the few subcultures that will poke fun at themselves (see internet search for names of goth dances.) If you get past the clothes and makeup and make an effort to talk to them, you would see that. In a way, the clothes are like a test. If you talk to them and treat them like human beings regardless of what they look like, they will welcome you with open arms because they know you are not the type to judge a book by it's cover.

I was part of this subculture for a long time, so when you say things like that you are talking about my friends and family without really knowing much about them.

philpot
02-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm surprised at all these stereotypical comments about goths. Goths are like everyone else, personality-wise - they are not perpetually gloomy. Most are intelligent and open minded and accepting of other people and cultures, even if other people are not accepting of them. They have great senses of humor and they are one of the few subcultures that will poke fun at themselves (see internet search for names of goth dances.) If you get past the clothes and makeup and make an effort to talk to them, you would see that. In a way, the clothes are like a test. If you talk to them and treat them like human beings regardless of what they look like, they will welcome you with open arms because they know you are not the type to judge a book by it's cover.

I guess you could say the gloomy/mean/jerk goths give the decent ones a bad name. Based on what you're saying, it appears the uncommon ones set the stereotypes. Not uncommon. But regardless, even if what you say is true, you can't deny that goths come off as anti social, etc because of the way they present themselves. They give the appearance of wanting to distance themselves from others. I'm not saying its a bad thing, I happen to have some goth friends, and I know some/a lot of people who get stuck with that label are great people, but the label does carry some negative connotations.

khrome
02-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I guess you could say the gloomy/mean/jerk goths give the decent ones a bad name. Based on what you're saying, it appears the uncommon ones set the stereotypes. Not uncommon. But regardless, even if what you say is true, you can't deny that goths come off as anti social, etc because of the way they present themselves. They give the appearance of wanting to distance themselves from others. I'm not saying its a bad thing, I happen to have some goth friends, and I know some/a lot of people who get stuck with that label are great people, but the label does carry some negative connotations.

You bring up a good point, and it's the reason why there is so much conflict in the world because people have preconceptions about particular subcultures, ethnic groups, countries, etc. I've honestly never known a goth that was mean or a jerk - they tend to keep to themselves. I have never seen a goth in the news for harming someone. So people are freaked out because.. of fashion choice? lol But I don't doubt there are bad apples out there. It is sad they give the whole group a bad name. On the other hand, would it be acceptable for me to say "that Asian man robbed me. All Asians are bad." Or "All ukers are like Tiny Tim." ;-) I wouldn't think so.

philpot
02-26-2011, 05:56 PM
You bring up a good point, and it's the reason why there is so much conflict in the world because people have preconceptions about particular subcultures, ethnic groups, countries, etc. I've honestly never known a goth that was mean or a jerk - they tend to keep to themselves. I have never seen a goth in the news for harming someone. So people are freaked out because.. of fashion choice? lol But I don't doubt there are bad apples out there. It is sad they give the whole group a bad name. On the other hand, would it be acceptable for me to say "that Asian man robbed me. All Asians are bad." Or "All ukers are like Tiny Tim." ;-) I wouldn't think so.

Agreed. I don't agree with stereotypes, because nobody fits into any of them ;) but don't be hating on tiny tim ;)

khrome
02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Agreed. I don't agree with stereotypes, because nobody fits into any of them ;) but don't be hating on tiny tim ;)

Hahah I just said that because I hear it being said a lot. I actually don't know who he is. Shocking probably, isn't it. :D

Tudorp
02-27-2011, 01:54 AM
You right to a degree, and as myself I am kinda asshamed of my steriotypical comment I made. Because I also have known allot of Goth kids. I have always been a huge outreach for troubled kids, or any kid for that matter, and very commonly known to be a "cool" old fat guy. I have that rep because I tend NOT to judge people. And I listen to them, if I agree with them or not. Lots of kids open up to me because they know I am an adult that will actually let them talk, and listen to them, and offer unbiased advice. I give them all a chance to speak what's on their mind. As as you state, Goth kid's tend to be pretty good kids really but simply trying to find themselves, or their own way. I have yet to meet one that was on drugs (that many say about them). They just tend to be very caring kids. Scary looking sure, but good kids. Like I mentioned, my daughter when she dressed Goth for halloween was awestruck at how she was treated when walking around like that. It actually was a good lesson for her. Another sterio type is that Goth and Emo kids are the same. Emo kids are many times called Goth, but they are not. There are allot of "troubled" ones out there, and actually all they need is to be heard, and listened to. But that said, there are the jerks out there doing it just for the shock factor, and are antisocial and relish in that, and relish in having a scary, bad ass attitude, and those are the loudest ones, that people notice, thus form their steriotypes to.

The kid I want to fix this uke up for is a "dark" kid. He is pretty antisocial, and loves black, and the goth look, altho he is not over the top with it. He looks Emo, or Goth , but not really outragious with it. He is a kid that his parents give him a hard time, tell him to get off drugs, don't trust him with much freedoms etc. But, I have gotten into the kid's head, and he is really a caring, sweet kid. He just let's his parents think he is on drugs, because they belive it and harp on him. He tried to tell them he actually despises drugs and loosing control that they do to you. But they dont listen and always accuse him, shake him down, search his room and all trying to find the "WMD". He doesn't have any. He is clean, and actually a very bright, caring kid. He just likes black, and dresses very dark, and pretty much stays to himself. He is into some really dark heavy metal, liquid and black metal. Some pretty brutal stuff. But I seen him about a year ago sitting on the trunk of a car in the bus barn at the elementary school (it is right accross the street from us). I was sitting on the porch playing my uke, and I noticed he was intently watching me. a few days later he was walking past the house on the sidewalk and looked over at me on the porch. He just nodded and said "where's your ukulele?" And I started talking to him. from the porch and he came over and we just started talking about music and his love of music but nobody likes him because of his tastes in music. I teased him and told him I was shocked he was facinated with my uke, because there isn't allot of death metal ukulele players out there. He laughed, and said, "yeah, I know, but I still think it's cool. It's all music.." Made sense.. So anyway, I been wanting to give him a uke for awhile. And the Goth themed one popped in my head for him, so that's where I am at.

philpot
02-27-2011, 03:41 AM
Thats a great story. You're doing something awesome for the kid, and I'm sure he wont forget it. I personally know what its like to have people look down on me because of music choices. There are people who I thought were my friends who go around my back spreading retarded lies about me, that I'm emo and dark and try to be hardcore because I listen to music like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3jg2Xt6kg
People cant seem to get their heads around the fact that some people don't listen to certain music to fit in with a label (-cough- hip hop sub culture -cough-), they listen to it because they actually enjoy it. I find metal to be enjoyable, technically complex and great for picking your energy levels up. But theres a stereotype of a "metalhead" that goes along with it, and its really sad when someone cant enjoy certain things without being slapped with a label.

Side note, labels are the worst thing in the world. Everyone tries to push everyone into a label, but we dont all fit in one. We try to let some initials or a disease define a person. ADD, ADHD, Active alert, dyslexic, etc. we shove people into groups and then they medicate them to keep them down. Its sickening really. Sorry, kinda off topic, but not completely xD

Tudorp
02-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Yep.. thats the stuff.. I just listened to your link, and personally, I don't get it. But, just because that isn't me, doesn't mean that it can't be something someone eles enjoys. Personally to me, that isn't art, but then again to me, netiher is Picaso, and look what his stuff brings in an art auction. Art in any form is very subjective to each individual. One person can look at a peice and see something. Someone else can look at it and see something completley different, or even nothing at all. Sometimes people wonder what I see in old rusty junk, but to me, it's art. I love turn of the centry mechanical things along with all the rust and dirt. To me, it's beautiful, and art. To other's, it's just rusty old junk.

Anyway, its all subjective, and even though I don't personally like something, I can still apreciate it's value and contribution.

khrome
02-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Tudorp, I think it's great you are trying to help this kid out. He reminds me of myself and how my parents didn't understand me - just harped on about the way I dressed, even to this day and I'm 38 years old now. It didn't matter that I was in Advance Placement classes, or that I was Managing Editor of my high school newspaper. I was wearing black and wore dark red lipstick, therefore something was WRONG with me. :-) I listen to all kind of electronica genres, especially electro-industrial (sometimes called EBM.) Way on the other side of the spectrum from uke music. But he is right, music is music. I don't dress goth anymore, nor do I have the same mindset, but there is always going to be that little bit of goth inside of me.

So now that we have a little background, I think an understated look would be best for the uke. I think black with a metal stud (the kind you see on belts that are flat and square, not the pointy spikes) right under the bridge in front would look cool. You can get those studs with flat backs if you don't want to drill a hole in the uke.

Keep us posted on this project! I would love to hear his reaction. :-)

khrome
02-27-2011, 05:59 AM
PS - and you can go with the red too but only if you've seen him wearing red. Goths and similar subcultures can be very picky about colors. Purple and dark blue are other popular color amongst goths.

Tudorp
02-27-2011, 06:09 AM
PS - and you can go with the red too but only if you've seen him wearing red. Goths and similar subcultures can be very picky about colors. Purple and dark blue are other popular color amongst goths.

Actually, I have seen him wear small red details. When I talked to him that first time, he had deep crimsom red (looked like wood) rings in his earlobes. And he mentioned on a couple occasions when we were on the subject of cars and hotrods (another pasion of my own), that he always wanted a all blacked out camero with red interior. So, he has mentioned, and expressed a black/red theme. Which to be honest has always been a color combination of my own. I play a Goth model Les Paul that is all blacked out that I adorned with small red details, and plan to old school hot rod pin stripe it also in red (but haven't dont that yet) I showed it to him and he loved it.

(the one in the middle a.k.a. "barnabas")
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/theboys2.jpg?t=1298826512

khrome
02-27-2011, 06:50 AM
That guitar looks sweet. :) It sounds like you have a good handle on who he is and what he might like. I say go with your instincts.

PeteyHoudini
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
I just ran across this very interesting Goth Uke thread. Funny, that I've seen some old videos of Tiny Tim and he looks pseudo Goth. Damn, the uke is goth!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bljefIsBc

I've just bought a Brüko German flat black "goth" soprano ukulele. I call it that, anyway. I will do a video review of it in two weeks. It's made in Germany, thin, cool-looking, 12 frets, black matt finish, and could start a goth uke trend.

Petey

ejnovinsky
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Think this would be a brilliant idea, cant wait to see it! maybe do some red hot rod pinstriping around the soundhole?

PeteyHoudini
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Think this would be a brilliant idea, cant wait to see it! maybe do some red hot rod pinstriping around the soundhole?
That German uke company will customize your uke, almost in any way one wants! Could be possilbe if you ask them. I'm not joking.

Petey

Skrik
05-30-2012, 02:53 AM

Would you look at that!

I have recently commissioned something very similar, although custom made, rather than self-painted. Details to follow when it is in my hands (in the next 6-9 months).

Nickie
05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Pretty cool of you to make friends with him. The Goth people I've met were more or less somber, but never hurt a flea. You would do him a great honor by presenting him with a "Gothed-out" uke. We might even see him on YouTube someday.

PeteyHoudini
06-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Brüko flat black soprano ukulele - REVIEW (cool German Goth ukulele)
http://youtu.be/OqovIUFVSZw

Hippie Dribble
06-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Brüko flat black soprano ukulele - REVIEW (cool German Goth ukulele)
http://youtu.be/OqovIUFVSZw
superb work Petey, thankyou
:cheers:

His Sinfulness
06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I am what is known as "an Elder Goth" (47 and still a Goth) ;) and I was pleased with many of the uke customization ideas presented above. I woud happily buy several of the ukes you all described.

There are many subgenres of Goth (Cybergoth, Deathrocker, Cupcake Goth, Fetish Goth, Perky Goth, Victorian Goth, Elegant Goth Lolita, Gothabilly, etc). Here (http://www.blackwaterfall.com/viewall.php) is a link to a tongue-in-cheek discussion of some of the types of Goth. In general, black is likely to be a hit with any Goth, but some (Cupcakes and Cybers, for instance) often have a love of pinks or neons as well. Not all Goths are gloomy! It is best to know your intended audience - you do, and that makes your chances of making a uke he loves much higher. This young man seems to like black and red, so go there. :)

As for the Goth stereotype, I got over worrying about it long ago. When I worked in the financial aid office of my very conservative university in Wyoming sporting a black kilt, studded black boots, death metal t-shirts, and gauged ears, I became immune to being stared at. It was an experience that has served me well in life - I now live in Korea, where even when I wear a conservative suit I am stared at (being white and 1.5 times the size of the average man kind of makes you stick out here). Since I'm a teacher now I have toned down my look a lot, but I still wear black every day, dye my short hair bright orange, and play the Cure, Bauhaus, and Siouxie Sioux for my students between classes. Because of this, I am the "cool" native speaking teacher, and I get a lot more traction with my students. As was said above, if you are the type to judge a book solely by its cover, I'm probably not missing much by you disregarding/disliking me.

kvehe
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks- that was a great review.

BasicUke
06-11-2012, 03:39 AM
... shoot, one COULD simply walk into Mordor with that thing strapped to your belt.

I can't let that pass without comment... ROFL!!