New Uke Week - Kamaka HF-3 and 2 Dolphin chasers!

sonicbaker

Reaction score
Thanks to the various posters and threads here on UU, I chose to purchase a Kamaka HF-3. Posted a blurb about it in the video/links section of the forum, but thought I'd add in some extra photos here. Ordered it from the factory in early January...and it arrived last week. I've been a guitar player for 30 years, but don't know if I've ever been as happy with a guitar purchase as I am with the HF-3. Also picked up a couple of Dolphins too, black one and a white one, for the office.

Attachments

• photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 71
  • photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 61
  • photo-15.jpg
    photo-15.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
  • BW Dolphins.jpg
    BW Dolphins.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 61
OOO..that Kamaka looks gorgeous! Oh one day I will have one of those! Congrats on the new ukes!

Congrats on your Kamaka, she is a beauty...you are gonna love it, I love mine!!!

PS...don't forget to join the Kamaka Klub!!!

That Kamaka looks gorgeous! I'm thinking of picking up a pink burst Dolphin for my daughter's 2nd birthday next month (you've got to start them early!:cool: )

Great choices.

I'm sure everyone here would like to hear you playing that new HF-3.

Low G or High G?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the new Kamaka! Sorry the pics are a bit fuzzy...Iphone camera. High G, Doc J. The Dolphins are a lot of fun, too...I got my daughter, age 9, a redburst one last year, and decided I needed a couple of those myself. Attached a couple of extra Kamaka photos and one of the "family"...including my wife's Kala and my Pono soprano.

I have kept the Kamaka strings on for the time being and am certainly considering the wisdom of many here who post about improvements with other brands. I'm going to Gryphon in Palo Alto today and will probably pick up some Worths to try at some point. In my hunt for the "right" uke, I played quite a few tenors...(didn't get to try a KoAloha, unfortunately), but it ended up being between the HF-3 and a Kanile'a. Picked the Kamaka after trying one at Gryphon and just falling in love with the sound...and it had the standard Kamaka strings on it, so I'm a bit partial to that for some reason. The Dolphins are definitely getting Aquilas!

I plan to keep my UAS in check, but do have a concert in mind...will likely do the Kanile'a next time or possibly a KoAloha, once I play one.

Also wanted to say that I had a really nice experience ordering direct from Kamaka. Tekla was great. When I ordered it, she asked me if I had a preference for darker or lighter color. I just suggested that they use their judgement on whatever looks the best at the time. And, they exceeded my expectations in that department! When it was ready, they called to ensure someone would be home on the expected delivery date. Very nice and personal touches...lots of Aloha!

As far as hearing the Kamaka, well here is a recording I made this week.

http://toddparkerandthewitches.bandcamp.com/track/nazareth-instrumental

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Pono Flower.jpg
    Pono Flower.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 16
  • photo-11.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21
  • photo-10.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 17
A big Kamaka week for many on the UU, myself included! MGM is changing out the strings of the soon to be mine pineapple that's coming for fluorocarbons of some kind--he said he had black ones, I just can't recall the brand.

I believe that the Kamaka strings are basically GHS strings, and the combination of those brands is a bit of a mystery to me, but Kamaka must see something in those strings, or they wouldn't put them on their amazing instruments.

Anyway, congrats! Beautiful tenor!

Congratulations on the beautiful new Kamaka and welcome to the Kamaka Klub! I love my HF 3 tenor more than anything I own and I am sure you will love yours too. Have fun in your string trials. For me, my fave high g on a Kamaka tenor are either Savarez or Fremont Blacklines. If you ever go low g, the Worth CHLGHD are great, or the Fremont Blackline low g are nice too. :)

MGM is changing out the strings of the soon to be mine pineapple that's coming for fluorocarbons of some kind--he said he had black ones, I just can't recall the brand.

Oooh Fremont Blacklines maybe? Excellent.

The GHS/Kamaka strings will always remain a mystery to me. I mean, they sound *okay* but Worths, Fremonts, and Aquilas all sound so much better to my ear. When I toured the factory I was so tempted to ask Fred Kamaka about the choice of stock strings, but felt like no matter how I asked him it would sound critical, and I didn't want that.

Congratz on the purchase. Ive never played a kamaka but everyone says they are amazing ukes, so you will enjoy yours.

A big Kamaka week for many on the UU, myself included! MGM is changing out the strings of the soon to be mine pineapple that's coming for fluorocarbons of some kind--he said he had black ones, I just can't recall the brand.

I believe that the Kamaka strings are basically GHS strings, and the combination of those brands is a bit of a mystery to me, but Kamaka must see something in those strings, or they wouldn't put them on their amazing instruments.

I was thinking the same thing about the Kamaka fever on UU...everyone seems to be getting one!

As for GHS strings, I had some on my KPK Hoa when she arrived and they sounded (to my ears) very good, I've switched them to Worth Browns and am liking the mellower sound (again to my ears) but I didn't see or feel that the GHS lived up to their somewhat negative reputation..maybe Kamaka feel the same way! Each to their own :D

Congrats on the new Kamaka - it looks great and I am sure it sounds wonderful as well. I purchased my Kamaka direct from the factory last August. I was also pleasantly suprised with the grain and curl - a number of people have commented that it looked like a wood upgrade but it was not. I currently have it strung with D'Addarios and I think they sound really nice. Enjoy your Kamaka!

Top Bottom