Low G tuning

Reaction score
I have a green Mahalo U30 with which I'm very pleased - I play everything from punk to Elizabethan lute songs on it. Recently I've considered getting a second (purple) one to keep in low G tuning, for playing melody lines. My concern is that the U30 has a compensated bridge saddle designed for re-entrant tuning, and that a wound G may suffer from intonation problems. Has anyone tried this?

Attachments

• instruments.jpg
    instruments.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14
My concern is that the U30 has a compensated bridge saddle designed for re-entrant tuning, and that a wound G may suffer from intonation problems.
Compensated saddle or not, a wound G is going to sound and feel different from the rest of the strings.

Unlike classical guitar where you have three wound and three plain strings (basses and trebles that form a balance), a wound low G just feels "wonky" to me.

Worth makes low G sets without a wound string.

Compensated saddle or not, a wound G is going to sound and feel different from the rest of the strings.

Unlike classical guitar where you have three wound and three plain strings (basses and trebles that form a balance), a wound low G just feels "wonky" to me.

Worth makes low G sets without a wound string.

Fremont does, too. I'm not a fan of the wound string either - I don't care for how it feels at all.

I have a green Mahalo U30 with which I'm very pleased - I play everything from punk to Elizabethan lute songs on it. Recently I've considered getting a second (purple) one to keep in low G tuning, for playing melody lines. My concern is that the U30 has a compensated bridge saddle designed for re-entrant tuning, and that a wound G may suffer from intonation problems. Has anyone tried this?
My first uke was a yellow Mahalo. I soon discovered a D guitar string tuned to Low G gave me a load of new playing ideas.

Thanks, everyone for your responses. Lack of finances currently prevents me from adding to my collection of instruments, but it looks like a purple U30 with a set of all-plain low-G strings is the way to go in future.

Meanwhile, here is my "Uneasy Listening" version of "Love Is Blue".

Instrumentation:
Rhythm and lead ukuleles (green Mahalo U30)
Electric double-bass
Stylophone
Chromatic harmonica
Percussion loop (conga and maraca samples, programmed in Hammerhead 1.0)

Top Bottom