Blue Snowball vs. Zoom H2

Raygf

Reaction score
I know, comparing apples to oranges right.

I just received a Snowball last Saturday and am using it with GarageBand. I've tried it in different rooms in the house, all 3 mic settings and various placements, but always the same piece of music and guitar for comparison purposes. A friend loaned me a Zoom H2 and when used as a usb mic it outperforms the Snowball. I'm considering returning the Snowball and getting the Zoom. Not wanting to rush to judgement I'm interested in hearing from others. The Zoom is more expensive, but I'm amazed by what it will do for the price.

Any comments/suggestions/thoughts from folks who have experience with both of these devices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Regards,
Ray

I don't have an H2, but have my sons H4 on permanent loan from him. It has basically the same mics and electronics as the H2, with more bells and whistles. It does a superb job. The H2 is more versatile than the Snowball, since it is a stand alone recording device, as well as a usb mic. I'd go for the H2 if you don't mind spending a few more dollars. Its nice to be able to take the H2 with you to gigs and practice sessions.

They also have an H1 out now, but I don't know much about it.

my friend has an h2 and i have a snowball. the h2 is better but i dont thinki it is worth 4 times more (snowballs being 50$ h2 being 200$)

SamAsh's regular price on the H2 is $149, but I have seen it on sale several times for $129, or less. I think the SnowBall is good mic for the price, and for what I do (YouTube) videos from my desktop you probably can't tell the difference. I have only taken the H4 out to a practice session a few times.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for commenting. Let me see if I can clarify what it is I'm looking for here.

1. I wonder if I am missing something about how to use the Snowball that would improve it's quality. I really don't think so, I was just hoping someone who has had experience with both might have some tips about using it with GarageBand or Audacity.

2. I'm also wondering about the reliability/longevity of the H2. I've read many great reviews about it and the Snowball.

Still, I cannot deny what my ears are telling me. It never hurts to check in with others before making a final decision.

Regards,
Ray

I've had my H2 for a couple of years now.. use it as a standalone recorder (the snowball can't do that) and as a USB mic. Love it.

great quality.. i put it on 360 stereo and place it in the middle of our group jams.. gets everything :)

I use it for remote podcast interviews..

and i use it the line in to record the output of my mixer when i podcast as well.

versatile, high quality recordings. worth the extra $$ if you need both a USB and a standalone recorder.

yeah, i like it.

Hey guys, thanks for commenting. Let me see if I can clarify what it is I'm looking for here.

1. I wonder if I am missing something about how to use the Snowball that would improve it's quality. I really don't think so, I was just hoping someone who has had experience with both might have some tips about using it with GarageBand or Audacity.

...[some text removed]

Still, I cannot deny what my ears are telling me. It never hurts to check in with others before making a final decision.

Regards,
Ray

The Snowball and H2 are built very differently. Comparing the two is not an apples to apples comparison.

The Snowball has two mic capsules. I believe when you switch from cardioid to omnidirectional you are switching which mic capsule is active inside the Snowball. So at any given time you will have a single capsule active.

The H2 has a total of four mic capsules. These are arranged in an X/Y pattern, which is a very standard pattern for recording stereo. At a minimum you will have two active capsules recording in stereo (front or back), and up to four active capsules when recording Surround 4.

Your ears are not lying. The mics are capturing sound in a different manner than than each other.

The Snowball has a minor reputation for having a slightly harsh mid range sound. Some people notice this, others do not. That is not saying it is a bad mic. People just have preferences for the sound they want.

Last edited:
The Snowball and H2 are built very differently. Comparing the two is not an apples to apples comparison.
Exactly, that is why I started my initial post with, "I know, comparing apples to oranges right."

The harsh midrange in the Snowball is exactly what I am hearing and while harsh is a bit harsh (sorry), it is noticeable and I do not want that I my recordings. This is exactly what I was looking for. This forum community always come through. Thanks spots.

Thanks too, to JT. More of what I wanted to hear. The Snowball is getting boxed up tonight and sent back on Monday.

Regards,
Ray

Personally I use a Zoom H1.
It works as a portable recorder and also as a USB mic.
I'm very happy with my H1.
And the bundled software Steinberg Wavelab LE is an adequate solution for home recordings.

You can get the Zoom H2 HERE for 89 bucks plus shipping.

Top Bottom