Ervin Somagyi

agilitydog

Reaction score
I know who Ervin Somogyi is, but can anyone offer input about his two volumes on building. I love learning but I can't afford the regular set for around $250.00 and really can't afford the leather bound set for $750.00 (I think it's personalized) whoa! How much is the ukulele version?

Along the way to following Chuck's reference below, I found some very interesting discussions on anzlf: http://www.anzlf.com/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=30c316d0e24f34855889535e9e31ab08. The discussions involved Allen of Barron River Guitars. Hopefully, he might add his incite.

Last edited:
A librarian too. I know why I have the time; how is it possible that you do? Don't you have some beautiful inlay to do :) Thanks, Chuck

I've got both books, and they are well worth as an addition to the library. They are NOT a "how to build a Somagi guitar".

They are very guitar orientated so if you are thinking that they will give you a lot of insight into building ukes you will be disappointed. There is however a wealth of inspiration and information relating to how and why you might want to build in certain ways. In fact if you pay attention to the photos on how Ervin uses jigs for some processes these tips alone are worth the price of the books in themselves. At least if you are building lots of instruments. For the occasional builder on a budget I'd be looking at borrowing them if possible.

These books are not a how to build the ultimate guitar by following his design though. None of Ervin's will give you that information. What he does is give you the building blocks and info for you to take what you do further by getting you to think about what and why you do every aspect of the build process. They are very well layed out, with good appendixes and index. Photographs are very good.

I've heard of people finding them used on eBay for a fraction of the new price. Keep looking and you might pick up a bargain.

Top Bottom