PDA

View Full Version : Success! changed out strings with no fear :)

ukunuke
02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I know - sorta crazy that I wouldn't have done this earlier in my life. But I have to thank Gordon from Mya Moe and his workshop in Denver for kicking me away from handing out $$$ to the local music store and telling me, "Don't be afraid!" (page 5, Section 5, a. of the Ukulele Acoustics, Intonation, Action & Strings handout).

So now I have some beautiful Worth strings on my Kanilea tenor - the browns. They sound great and look good. I sure appreciate all the advice and guidance from this site and those who are part of the uke community.

fitncrafty
02-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Awesome and congrats! The first time scared me a lot too.. now I do my ukes, guitars, violins etc... I don't love it but I do it! Enjoy your new strings!

pdxuke
02-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Congrats. I was scared first time, too! Brought back sweating over my Boy Scout knots merit badge!

itsme
02-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Changing strings is not my favorite thing to do, but they always sound so much better afterward, even though you have to go thru that break-in period.

It's just one of those things you have to learn to do for yourself. There's no point in paying a music store to do it, just like there's no point in paying a ridiculous amount extra to have a "full serve" station pump your gas for you or check the air in your tires. You drive a car, you learn to pump gas and check the tires and oil yourself. Same with string changes.

potatowaste
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Ms. Nuke, you must think I'm crazy than. I've only been playing a few months and I'm already sanding down my saddles!!!
Oh, go back and check the Toots Louie Louie jam and you'll notice the skeleton on the wall is only holding one uke, the other spot will be filled by your Lanikai

Blisters_left
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
I was scared too, but I got a uke from a friend who borrowed me one for the first try - and the second day a string broke -so I called the owner of the uke and he told me I should change it because I had to learn that too if I wanted to play the uke - so with the help of Aldrine's video I did it - and it felt sooooo good to have it done on my own...So I can understand how you must feel....

joeybug
02-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Awesome job! I had no problems changing the strings on Astrid because she was cheap and I figured what's the worst that could happen, but I recently swapped from GHS to Worth Browns on Hoa, my KPK and man I was nervous, and I've done this a handful of times before! Still, congrats on getting it done!

SweetWaterBlue
02-27-2011, 03:41 AM
I consider changing strings and doing basic setups part of learning to play an instrument. There is almost nothing you can do in that area that is irreversible (although you may have to buy a new saddle or nut if you have 4 thumbs), so there is little to be afraid of.

Nickie
02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
WTG! I changed my strings for the first time, too. It wasn't any harder than putting my own gas in my car and washing the windshield. 'Course, I used to change my fiddle strings all the time... which isn't much fun, because the bridge can hop away any time.