Can anyone help me identify this hand me down?...

rnewton75

Reaction score
Hi, I've just received a ukulele from my brother in law. It was his as a child and was given to him by a relative who worked in a music store. It is probably 25-30 years old and I can't get it in tune (strings are probably shot). I'd like to replace the strings but I don't know what to buy. I just started playing the Ukulele with a Makala MK-S and I know it's a soprano (at least when buying strings). This old ukulele is much larger but I don't know what strings to buy. it measures about 19.5" from the nut to the saddle, the overall length is about 30", the body thickness is just under 3", and the body width at the widest part is about 10". And, I can't find any makers marks on it at all. I don't really care who made it, I'd just like to get some strings and see if I can tune it up.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

Pictures would immensely help.

Sounds like you have a baritone sized uke. You could get standard baritone strings, which is like guitar tuning DGBE, or get baritone ukulele C tuning strings for GCEA. If you want to use the same sheet music as your fellow uke players, it would be easier if you are in GCEA. If you like the deeper sound, go for the DGBE and you can use guitar charts (just ignore the extra string info). Check out Ian Chadwick's website, and he will give you a lot of good info http://www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/sizes.htm.
–Lori

Top Bottom