help with harmonizing

uke142464

Reaction score
i want to do a cover of im yours and im trying to add harmony in some spots but I find it nearly impossible any tips?:confused:

i want to do a cover of im yours and im trying to add harmony in some spots but I find it nearly impossible any tips?:confused:

I listen to the original recording over and over again and mimic the harmonies until I'm comfortable with it. If you're adding harmonies that don't exist in the original, I'd sing over the recording over and over to hear what worked best.

Time consuming? you bet! But it's worth it if your final product sounds great!
Good luck!

:)

It's either usually going to be the 1 3rd or 5th. On occasion it will be the 4th or some other pitch but those are good ones to go by so just base the pitch your trying to harmonize to and try those. Hope that helps

It's either usually going to be the 1 3rd or 5th. On occasion it will be the 4th or some other pitch but those are good ones to go by so just base the pitch your trying to harmonize to and try those. Hope that helps

Just make sure you're in the right key also. For example if the key is C major and the note you're harmonizing is C then the third will be E. But if it's C minor then the third will be Eb. ;)

Just make sure you're in the right key also. For example if the key is C major and the note you're harmonizing is C then the third will be E. But if it's C minor then the third will be Eb. ;)

Good point I forgot to mention about minor keys. Just take the chord and pick notes out of the chord that your trying to sing other than the pitch already given. That usually works if you know what your key and what the note itself is. (Piano/Keyboards work wonders ;))

Ya know, with harmonizing it's the one time I throw all the theory stuff out the window. Not that knowing your intervals (3rds, 4ths, 5ths..) is a bad thing at all. And if you were writing it out, knowing the key is a good start, not disagreeing in the slightest. :)

I just listen to it over and over and think about what would sound cool with it. And don't be afraid to sound really bad while figuring it out. :)

If you want practice harmonizing, harmonize-along with The Beatles for a while. They broke no "rules" (that I can think of off the top of my head), and their harmonies were (usually) not boring.

But if you're past the need to practice, then just listen and don't be afraid to mess up. You'll stumble on something cool eventually. :)

Usually harmonies are 3rds or 6ths but for this song in particular jason mraz uses a mix. Just keep listening for the harmony and do it slow...sing the chorus harmony with the song over and over and over. Although I know that sometimes the harmonies on recordings are a bit quiet and its hard to hear them. Heres our version of I'm yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKq1lLtmJY

we do the harmony pretty loud so maybe it'll be easier for you to hear it from there.

MADRID, January 31 (Xinhua Huang Beach) is in Spain visiting Premier Wen Jiabao met in Madrid on the 31st on the Chinese embassy in Spain Embassy staff, representatives of overseas Chinese and Chinese students. "Long Tianyu Kuang, be absolutely sure to love home. In overseas, the more the more homesick to the Spring Festival, I ran 56 days, but also a bit homesick," Premier Wen's emotional speech to make the presence of tears the eyes of many people to spend . "Chinese people are one of the most important character, that is, 'the heaven revolves, the gentleman should improve himself'. This not only means a person, but also refers to a nation and a country. The world does not have a place like China, this piece of land so that we love so deep, the world is not a river like the Yangtze and Yellow Rivers let us feel the same ups and downs. " Turning to the growing spread in response to the current international financial crisis, Premier Wen Wei Zheng quoted the famous Tang Dynasty, "the safety of non-Shoni Kwong, insurance is not easy to reform its heart." Premier Wen said firmly: "As long as we strengthen our confidence, a positive response, there is no difficulty that can not be overcome. China's economy will not only continue to develop, but also to a new height, I have confidence in the country." Premier Wen's speech won the Prolonged applause. During the meeting, is coming to an end on time, Premier Wen received a special gift. This is a painting. Painting, in the Sichuan earthquake survivors WenChuan so two little girl leaned closely in Premier Wen's arms. Premier Wen's eyes filled with tenderness and fortitude. Oil painting from the authors of the Chinese students in Chengdu, Sichuan Xujinjin. He is currently University of Salamanca in Spain to study art. When he learned that Premier Wen Jiabao will pay a visit to Spain after Xujinjin spent two days to make the painting, taking the name of "snuggle" and commissioned a local association is responsible for students who transferred to Premier Wen Jiabao to express people in the disaster areas in Sichuan Prime Minister gratitude. Premier Wen Jiabao took over the canvas, looked a moment, please phone the staff at the scene of the Xujinjin dial telephone. "Students Xujinjin Hello, Happy New Year to you, your painting," leaned "I received," said Premier Wen Jiabao took over the phone. "To the Prime Minister of the New Year!" Call from the other side of Xujinjin excited voices. "I not only received your painting, but also the vast number of students received a token. Your painting is very true, is based on an earthquake the next day I visited Beichuan Middle School when the children took a photograph of the painting," said Premier Wen Jiabao . "The painting reminds me of when I write on the blackboard the words' more difficult and prosperous'. Let us work together for the motherland and contribute to a better tomorrow." Heard here,Xujinjin difficult to suppress the hearts of the excitement, he took slightly trembling voice loudly said: "In the warmth of the family of the motherland, we have not overcome difficulties. I will certainly bear in mind the prime minister's teachings, to learn, to the motherland contribution to the development of its own strength. " Under these circumstances deeply touched everyone at the scene. From the Prime Minister of the Republic to ordinary students, each of the Chinese people, wherever and whenever pure kind heart are nestle in the embrace of the motherland, the mutual feelings, and convey warmth, confidence and strength.article to load:http://www.okokart.com/oilpainting/post/164.htmlarticle come from:www.okokart.com

is this post art?

If I can't hit an octave higher, I usually try to fluctuate a bit to find the right note. It sounds ridiculous, but it sure works

Hitting an octave higher makes for a fatter sound, but it is not necessarily a good harmony.

I have done what is called "woodshedding" for over forty years. It is where you have a lead vocal and then harmonies are added and there are lots of improvisations. I sang barbershop for a while and what bored me about it was that I had to stick with an arrangement. I'd rather come up with harmonies in my head and just sing what I feel. The real trick is not being off key. It takes practice.

To learn, though, there are some very easy songs, like the old classic "You Are My Sunshine" and similar. A pretty simple lead vocal makes it easy to add a baritone, bass, tenor, and more.

Irish songs are very easy that way, pretty much a simple lead vocal joined in the chorus by two or three other voices.

Here is an example called "Jug of Punch":

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/jug_of_punch.mp3

This sort of arrangement makes finding harmonies very easy.

Top Bottom