New strings on my Kamaka HF-3

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I traded for my Kamaka HF-3 tenor at the end of November. When I got it it had a wound low G and some kind of fluorcarbon C,E, and A strings. It sounded fantastic, but recently I was getting some serious buzzing from the wound low G, even when fretted. Upon close inspection, you could see indentations in the string from the frets. I have read recently in threads about how quickly wound strings can wear out, so I just chaged all the strings out to a set of Worth low G hard tension WS-CHLGHD. No more wound string. No more buzz.

I just want to sing the praises of how great these strings are. A big complaint that a lot of people have with low G tuning, especially after playing only re-entrant, is that the low G can overpower the other strings, stick out like a sore thumb. These are the most balanced low G strings sets that I have used. The C,E,and A strings are not as bright as the Worth CT's, which I think helps contribute to a more balanced sound. I have tried Freemont Blacklines(non-wound), Worth CT(non-wound), and Aquillas(wound), but none could match the balance of these particular Worths. I have them on four of my ukes.

So if you have been frustrated in your search to find a low G string set, I would recommend that you give these a try. BTW, they have them at Elderly Instruments

I'm glad you tried and liked them. I switched to these and now won't put anything else ony Kamaka. I second everything you said, emphasizing the great balance on these. Worth CHLGHD for the win!!! I tried about five low g options before finding these amazing strings...and these are by far the best. Now that more people are ordering them hopefully they won't always be backordered when I want them. :)

I traded for my Kamaka HF-3 tenor at the end of November. When I got it it had a wound low G and some kind of fluorcarbon C,E, and A strings. It sounded fantastic, but recently I was getting some serious buzzing from the wound low G, even when fretted. Upon close inspection, you could see indentations in the string from the frets. I have read recently in threads about how quickly wound strings can wear out, so I just chaged all the strings out to a set of Worth low G hard tension WS-CHLGHD. No more wound string. No more buzz.

I just want to sing the praises of how great these strings are. A big complaint that a lot of people have with low G tuning, especially after playing only re-entrant, is that the low G can overpower the other strings, stick out like a sore thumb. These are the most balanced low G strings sets that I have used. The C,E,and A strings are not as bright as the Worth CT's, which I think helps contribute to a more balanced sound. I have tried Freemont Blacklines(non-wound), Worth CT(non-wound), and Aquillas(wound), but none could match the balance of these particular Worths. I have them on four of my ukes.

So if you have been frustrated in your search to find a low G string set, I would recommend that you give these a try. BTW, they have them at Elderly Instruments

Those were Daddario J-71s or something like that. Same strings Jake plays???
I was going to send you a PM and ask about what kind of Low G you had on that ana'ole. Now I know. I do like them b/c they aren't wound. I don't mind my wound low g but after awhile I do not like the discoloration that a wound string gets.

I did like the sound of the Daddarios John. But I wasn't crazy about the wound string. I first replaced just the wound string with the Worth LowG and it did sound pretty good with the Daddarios, but ended up switching the rest of them too.

I will say that that was the first wound string that didn't leave my fingers grey from playing it. Maybe because it was so well worn.

my Kamaka HF-3, after trying Savarezes, Aquilas, Southcoasts, or whatnot, sounded best with worth CTs. I got mine used like you but the wound string wore a groove in the saddle so I had to get it replaced.

my Kamaka HF-3, after trying Savarezes, Aquilas, Southcoasts, or whatnot, sounded best with worth CTs. I got mine used like you but the wound string wore a groove in the saddle so I had to get it replaced.

Were the Worth CT's low G?

Top Bottom