PDA

View Full Version : Strongly Considering Buying an Eleuke....

mendel
02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Concert size, Koa. The new ones with the offset faux soundhole. I'd be able to play and not wake my son. That's perfect!!

I emailed Mim with some questions.

Anyone have one??? Thoughts????

fitncrafty
02-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I just ordered one from the K series (picked the tenor) for the same reason....She said it would ship out tomorrow am. I will let you know what I think in the next few days.. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

tjomball
02-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I have a tenor jazz cutaway model.. Love it.. Fun little bugger.. So inmho.. Go for it..

joeybug
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
As you may know, my next Uke would have been an Eleuke if I could have found the one I wanted for a reasonable price and in the UK/EU, so I suggest you have a look at them and see if they have the needs you require...sorry if this doesn't make sense, my brain is half asleep!

thatukuleleguy
02-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I got one for Christmas and I love it. It's nice to be able to play late at night, with out being loud. You can also hook up an MP3 player or computer to it so you can listen to music as you play along with it easily.

SailQwest
02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
My husband and I each have one. His is a tenor, mine's a concert. For quiet practice they are wonderful; loud enough to hear yourself but quiet enough to not wake anyone up.

Durability is a plus, too. Ours take heaps of neglect and a bit of abuse without showing it.

dkcrown
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Hey mendel. Not to take a sale away from Mim, but there is one for sale on the Marketplace at flea market music with some extra goodies,(small amp and cord) for $210. Its your choice.

Snorky
02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I've already snapped that one up :D

mendel
02-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I saw it. I'm happier buying from someone that posts regularly here and has a reputation for fantastic customer service. In addition, Mim offers free shipping.

elisdad
02-27-2011, 02:29 PM
My Eleuke is my favorite uke. I got it for the same reason as why you are considering it. Mim is great to do business with.

Plainsong
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Isn't the Eleuke Harley Benton like €98? That's pretty reasonable! Also, musique83 had them for cheap over Christmas, which is where I got mine.

Yes, the Eleuke is darn nice. It's nicer than the previous models were, which I got to see only briefly once.

kissing
02-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Eleuke is one of those companies I give my thumbs up.
They've proven time after time in the recent times that they produce consistently high quality instruments at affordable, great value prices.

I can recommend them to people with ease of mind.

bottlegreen
02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I bought an Eleuke recently, and I really like it. It will be very handy this summer, when I suddenly get lots of neighbors again. It's been fun to plug in the iPod and headphones, and play along. It's been compared to "ukulele karaoke", and that's not too far off.
When I began looking at them, someone said the Eleukes were slightly larger than their acoustic counterparts. I had wanted a tenor, but decided to get a concert based on that. I would like to note that the bodies of Eleukes are actually very small. The concert RH is the size of a Makala Dolphin soprano. Not what I expected, but still great.
Mim was wonderful. She suggested a slightly different color (metallic black instead of plain black, as plain has a tendency to scuff). I could still smell the lemony fret oil she used when setting up my uke, and she even partially filled out the warranty card! That's some good service!
I think you should go for it. It's not particularly expensive, and is a lot of fun.

Mim
02-28-2011, 03:12 AM
I got my first Eleuke for the same reason you mentioned as well ;)! True story! About a year ago. And I agree Mim is great to do business with... hahaha! I crack myself up!

I returned your e-mail and I hope I answered all your questions! Thanks so much for the shout outs yall! I <3 my UU peeps!!! I don't know where I would be without you!

Looked up my origional Eleuke post... hahaha! I may have to do a Uke Talk post about my journey!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25878-New-Uke-Day-Came-Early!!!-Go-USPS!

fitncrafty
02-28-2011, 03:21 AM
I got my first Eleuke for the same reason you mentioned as well ;)! True story! About a year ago. And I agree Mim is great to do business with... hahaha! I crack myself up!

I returned your e-mail and I hope I answered all your questions! Thanks so much for the shout outs yall! I <3 my UU peeps!!! I don't know where I would be without you!

Looked up my origional Eleuke post... hahaha! I may have to do a Uke Talk post about my journey!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?25878-New-Uke-Day-Came-Early!!!-Go-USPS!

That's a beauty Mim for sure!! I have eleuke on the brain.. can you imagine why??? he he... Would love to see a post about your eleuke journey!

eleukeusa
02-28-2011, 04:13 AM

That's a beauty Mim for sure!! I have eleuke on the brain.. can you imagine why??? he he... Would love to see a post about your eleuke journey!

Agreed. "Next on A&E, Ice Cream and Ukuleles: The Mim Story"
Do I get to have a cameo in it? "I knew her way back when..."

mendel
02-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Wow- I am flattered to have so many fine, upstanding members of the UU community on my thread! All in one place, we have Mim, and the Eleuke peeps!!! Solid attendance!!!

Mim-
I got your response, and I am very excited to see your pics. Also, is it true that they are smaller than other Ukes? Not a problem for me, but I am curious!!

tjomball
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
This is for Plainsong and Joeybug.
Harley Benton branded Eleukes are currently running right under 100 Euros. Plus approx. 15 in shipping. 20 to Norway where I live. I paid 89 euros for mine. B-stock according to thomann.de. Had two very small dents. Which in NO way affects the playability of the uke. One huge bonus is the well padded gigbag that's included. Always a great thing to have included.
So an Eleuke with an extra stringset and shipping should run just shy of 120 euros. to EU countries. Not sure about shipping to the us or asia though.

Mim
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Agreed. "Next on A&E, Ice Cream and Ukuleles: The Mim Story"
Do I get to have a cameo in it? "I knew her way back when..."

YES! You get a cameo! You know you do!!! You get a whole chapter!!! Heck, the whole thing! What I consider my anniversary is coming up on March 3rd! I looked at some of my past threads about it and was amazed at what a year can do! It is ALL your fault! You know this ;)!

ricdoug
02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I saw it. I'm happier buying from someone that posts regularly here and has a reputation for fantastic customer service. In addition, Mim offers free shipping.

FACT, Mendel! Customer service after the sale has no assignable price. I buy most of my gear at a local music store, Giacoletti Music, as they provide supreme service after the sale. Buy from your local music store if you expect ultimate customer service. Ric

mendel
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
My local music store is Sam Ash. It's terrible. Anyway, the deal is done. I bought from Mim. she is accommodating and fantastic. Thanks Mim!!!!!!

fitncrafty
03-01-2011, 01:30 AM
My local music store is Sam Ash. It's terrible. Anyway, the deal is done. I bought from Mim. she is accommodating and fantastic. Thanks Mim!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear how you like it Mendel.. Mine is in transit and I can't wait to get my hands on it, I have no doubt that Mim will give exceptional customer service even at a distance...

mendel
03-01-2011, 02:43 AM
OK. Really stupid question....

Please bear in mind that I have never played or owned an electric stringed instrument before.

Does the Eleuke need to be plugged into an amp if I just want to use the headphones? Or, is it just plug the headphones into the Eleuke, and then I can play?

Mendel

fitncrafty
03-01-2011, 02:45 AM
OK. Really stupid question....

Please bear in mind that I have never played or owned an electric stringed instrument before.

Does the Eleuke need to be plugged into an amp if I just want to use the headphones? Or, is it just plug the headphones into the Eleuke, and then I can play?

Mendel

There is a question I know! No you can just plug the headphones right into the eleuke headphone jack and play away..

Mim
03-01-2011, 03:00 AM
FACT, Mendel! Customer service after the sale has no assignable price. I buy most of my gear at a local music store, Giacoletti Music, as they provide supreme service after the sale. Buy from your local music store if you expect ultimate customer service. Ric

Some people have great local music stores who have great service when it comes to ukuleles. California, because of population, is blessed by many great music stores such as yours. But sometimes on-line dealers are a neeissary "evil" some would say. There is not a week that goes by that I do not set up and try to un-buzz ukes that come from local music stores, some of them big box, some not, because although they do offer great customer service to a point, they do not specifically know anything about ukuleles. So a lot of beginners come in with beginner instruments with significant buzzes and high action from other shops who sell out of the box. Sometimes all it takes is a rattlie nut to be tightened, sometimes they need a higher saddle, and the difference in a little nut filing and sanding can make the difference between feeling sucessful on the uke or not and having a hard time fretting lower-neck barre chords or them being easy to play and fret.

But in the wide scope of America and even internationally, it is hard to find a local dealer with an adequate stock of many different ukuleles. Particularly Eleuke. I have seen one other Eleuke in another music store, but they only stocked one.

That being said, although I am brick and morter as well, most of my sales are on-line. But I try my best to make buying from me as individualized as if you were walking into my shop. I take personal pictures of every uke that I sell so that you can see what you are getting. I stock over 200 ukes. And I ship 2-day so that you get as immediate gratification as possible. And if I do not have what you want I refer you to another dealer that I know will give you the same level of care and service. I am still small potatoes and sometimes I do not have in what I wish I had in stock. But the good thing is I know a couple dealers, one in particular, that I refer people to without even blinking an eye or feeling like I am missing a sale because I know they will be taken care of and get a uke they love and that is what it is all about!

Not trying to advertise myself, I am just trying to advocate for the on-line guys like myself. We have good customer service too... we just have to provide it from a distance, but I do think it is possible! Particularly when a set-up service is offered and the dealer "knows" your uke before sending it to you! I am bad with names, sometimes I do not remember my customers by name as much as by what uke they buy and where they are from because I have spent a lot of time with their uke before sending it out and I really get a kick out of knowing where it is going after it leaves me shop. Sounds weird, but it is true.

Mim
03-01-2011, 03:03 AM
There is a question I know! No you can just plug the headphones right into the eleuke headphone jack and play away..

A MP3 Player plugs right into it as well!

To be honest, I think the Eleuke makes the best travel uke ever! Because you can play it in a hotel room to yourself, with music, and heaphones on, and your neighbors will never know. I even heard of a guy who played his on the plane all the way to Spain. Don't know if this is true or not. But form what I heard the plane white noise would drown out whatever he was playing, but in his ears he could hear himself loud and clear. I would just recommend an extra battery on long plane rides :)

fitncrafty
03-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Some people have great local music stores who have great service when it comes to ukuleles. California, because of population, is blessed by many great music stores such as yours. But sometimes on-line dealers are a neeissary "evil" some would say. There is not a week that goes by that I do not set up and try to un-buzz ukes that come from local music stores, some of them big box, some not, because although they do offer great customer service to a point, they do not specifically know anything about ukuleles. So a lot of beginners come in with beginner instruments with significant buzzes and high action from other shops who sell out of the box. Sometimes all it takes is a rattlie nut to be tightened, sometimes they need a higher saddle, and the difference in a little nut filing and sanding can make the difference between feeling sucessful on the uke or not and having a hard time fretting lower-neck barre chords or them being easy to play and fret.

But in the wide scope of America and even internationally, it is hard to find a local dealer with an adequate stock of many different ukuleles. Particularly Eleuke. I have seen one other Eleuke in another music store, but they only stocked one.

That being said, although I am brick and morter as well, most of my sales are on-line. But I try my best to make buying from me as individualized as if you were walking into my shop. I take personal pictures of every uke that I sell so that you can see what you are getting. I stock over 200 ukes. And I ship 2-day so that you get as immediate gratification as possible. And if I do not have what you want I refer you to another dealer that I know will give you the same level of care and service. I am still small potatoes and sometimes I do not have in what I wish I had in stock. But the good thing is I know a couple dealers, one in particular, that I refer people to without even blinking an eye or feeling like I am missing a sale because I know they will be taken care of and get a uke they love and that is what it is all about!

Not trying to advertise myself, I am just trying to advocate for the on-line guys like myself. We have good customer service too... we just have to provide it from a distance, but I do think it is possible! Particularly when a set-up service is offered and the dealer "knows" your uke before sending it to you! I am bad with names, sometimes I do not remember my customers by name as much as by what uke they buy and where they are from because I have spent a lot of time with their uke before sending it out and I really get a kick out of knowing where it is going after it leaves me shop. Sounds weird, but it is true.

This is very evident in how you do business! Which is why I purchased from you without a hesitation! Thank you for that...Although the waiting is the hardest part!! :) I know I will have a quality uke I will love for a long time!
I just hope that for one, I can go to the gym and not kill myself with distraction and two that I don't break the USPS tracking system before my box shows up! Does the solid body need to acclimate to temperature before I open the box?

tjomball
03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Mendel.. Probably answered before.. But you don't need to plug it in to an amp to get sounds from the headphone jack. Just remember to unplug al cables after use. Otherwise your battery will be drained in no time..

mendel
03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!! Mim! You are the best ever... If my wife and I ever get up through NC, I will buy YOU an ice cream cone!!!

fitncrafty
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys!!! Mim! You are the best ever... If my wife and I ever get up through NC, I will buy YOU an ice cream cone!!!

Hey Mendel which eleuke did you buy?

Plainsong
03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd recommend some decent headphones if you don't have any already. The stock earbuds that come with it are probably pretty bad. I've had good luck with Koss Portapros on the Eleuke, and Jays V-Jays. I bet Sennheiser px100-II or px200-II would be awesome, as would AKG K420's. Alessandro (Grado) headphones do well also, although that's getting to the edge of not being powered very well by the Eleuke's headphone output. I mean the headphone out isn't really stellar, but any well made portable headphone meant for fun but at least somewhat honest sound will be great. :)

mendel
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm Planning to use my Bose headphones. They are pretty awesome. I hope it sounds good.

Plainsong
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh, Bose isn't so great, but if they make you happy...

If you're interested in better headphones for the money at some point in the future, the Head-fi forum may not be the community it once was but it's still the best one around.

Mim
03-02-2011, 02:45 AM
I'd recommend some decent headphones if you don't have any already. The stock earbuds that come with it are probably pretty bad. I've had good luck with Koss Portapros on the Eleuke, and Jays V-Jays. I bet Sennheiser px100-II or px200-II would be awesome, as would AKG K420's. Alessandro (Grado) headphones do well also, although that's getting to the edge of not being powered very well by the Eleuke's headphone output. I mean the headphone out isn't really stellar, but any well made portable headphone meant for fun but at least somewhat honest sound will be great. :)

They dont come with earbuds anymore. I think because it just was not worth it. No one was keeping them anyway. They were big hunky piece of plastic things and were not comfortable at all!

mendel
03-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mim!!!!! Im so excited for it to arrive! The waiting really is the hardest part!!!

joeybug
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks Mim!!!!! Im so excited for it to arrive! The waiting really is the hardest part!!!

I know that feeling! I was speaking to fitncrafty on skype when she unwrapped her new Eleuke! I'm jealous! Wish they still sold them this side of the "pond"

eleukeusa
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
They dont come with earbuds anymore. I think because it just was not worth it. No one was keeping them anyway. They were big hunky piece of plastic things and were not comfortable at all!

Those earbuds were crap! I told them to stop doing them, they really did hurt when you wore them.

fitncrafty
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I know that feeling! I was speaking to fitncrafty on skype when she unwrapped her new Eleuke! I'm jealous! Wish they still sold them this side of the "pond"

Thanks for sharing my excitement Joey.. I can't stop looking at it.. and strumming it and touching it.. and bragging about it.. I just love it! :)

kissing
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I recommend a pair of headphones with its own volume adjuster. Makes life a lot easier on an Eleuke :)

Plainsong
03-03-2011, 01:34 AM
I bet if you wanted to go the earbud route, the Yuin pk-2 might be great. I had the pk-1, but that needs a headphone amp. They were amazing. They look like cheap stock earbuds, and they were some audiophile stuff. I say were, because my husband borrowed... and killed them. :(

fitncrafty
03-03-2011, 01:36 AM
You know I was happy just strumming without headphones.. I guess I should try it with too...

Mim
03-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Those earbuds were crap! I told them to stop doing them, they really did hurt when you wore them.

Hahaha... I was going to say crap... but you said it not me ;)! The ukes are soooo nice, the bags are sooo nice, so when you looked at the earphone things you went "What is up with this?" So yeah, no earbuds, its a good thing. But if you are like me, I have like 20 different earbuds all over the house.

fitncrafty
03-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Hahaha... I was going to say crap... but you said it not me ;)! The ukes are soooo nice, the bags are sooo nice, so when you looked at the earphone things you went "What is up with this?" So yeah, no earbuds, its a good thing. But if you are like me, I have like 20 different earbuds all over the house.

The only thing I would change about the bag is a velcro strap.. My uke slipped right out yesterday... caught it just in time!

Choboy
03-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Where is the offset faux soundhole located? On the top-side of the uke?

eleukeusa
03-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Where is the offset faux soundhole located? On the top-side of the uke?

http://www.eleukeusa.com/wwwroot/userfiles/products/slt-mp3//light-slkoa.jpg
Top left and all the way through

eleukeusa
03-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Those earbuds were crap! I told them to stop doing them, they really did hurt when you wore them.Hahaha... I was going to say crap... but you said it not me ;)! The ukes are soooo nice, the bags are sooo nice, so when you looked at the earphone things you went "What is up with this?" So yeah, no earbuds, its a good thing. But if you are like me, I have like 20 different earbuds all over the house.
You know me, I call it like it is. Spades are spades and those earbuds were crap :p

bottlegreen
03-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I finally got around to plugging in the iPod and trying to play along. I wasn't super motivated to try it because I thought it was going to be somewhat disappointing.
Well friends, I played onstage with Queen and REM tonight. Too bad my neighbor will never know what a superstar I am, because I used headphones.
The mp3 feature is not to be overlooked. I was laughing out loud and jumping all over the living room like a damned fool, but it was the time of my life. I don't know how I lived before ukulele, period, but the Eleuke is freaking righteous. I can't wait to tackle the 80s hairband hits! "Talk Dirty To Me"? Well, don't mind if I do!
Best. Summer. Ever. Coming my way....